SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maroruben

Hoophouse - Should I build one...is it what I'm looking for?

maroruben
12 years ago

I've been reading up on hoophouses because I really didn't know what they were for. I've only been into gardening for a couple of years and really haven't gotten "really into it" until recently. Now I'm starting to get into cuttings, seed collecting, etc... I live in Jacksonville, FL. Last winter a great many of my plants died because we had several hard freezes. I managed to take some of my plants into the garage and they survived but looked pretty bad when the spring rolled around. Since Fall has just started, I've been trying to think about what I can do with all of my potted plants I have around the yard....far too many to bring inside. I'm also curious to see if this solution can also help me continue to work with seedlings and cuttings over the winter.

So I guess I'm asking for opinions on building a hoophouse. if I built one large enough, could I theoretically put my potted plants in there as well as my cuttings and baby plants and would they survive the winter? Typical weather here in the winter is 60's and low 70's but it gets down into the 40's and 30's at night....then of course we get the week long freeze spells we had last winter. I think I can build a hoop house for under $200 and just wanted to make sure it's a good investment. I'm also interested to see if it's a good idea anyway because I start vegetables from seed every spring too and I hate waiting until mid March to take the plants outside.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living