SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notbobthebuilder

Why I'm building a tract home

NotBobTheBuilder
9 years ago

Been lurking here for a while and finally decided to take the plunge and join. Just a little background. My wife and I are in our early 50s and currently live in a mobile home that's paid for. We see ourselves building a house in five or so years. We are constantly on the lookout for homes that we like and could consider building. We visit the local parade of homes just about every year and dream dream dream!

I've followed the debate here and on other sites concerning building a tract home vs. custom. We have considered both, but as we inch closer to the reality of our dream, we keep coming back to the idea of going with a production builder. I'd like to explain why.

First is the cost. We have no children and only need a home between 1,500 and 1,800 square feet. We have few people who come and visit us so we will have no real need for a spare bedroom (although we will likely have one). Most of the custom builders around here build anywhere from 1500 to the sky's the limit but most build much bigger than what we'll need, which means, of course, more than we want to or can afford to pay.

I know many say that the choices are limited with a production builder, and that is true. The company we like has various floor plans available but they are limited. That's fine with us. Given the amount of angst I see here from people trying to pick that "just right" plan, I think having too many choices would be a bad thing. And honestly, most homes whether they are custom or tract are all variations on a theme. There are very few truly "original" designs out there.

The builder we like advertises a number of upgrades, but they also say they are willing to customize any plan of theirs to fit your needs. Of course, that will cost more money, but with the plan we like there is very little that we need to tweak. We won't go with their flooring choices nor will we go with their appliance package, but other than that, most of what they offer gives us enough choices that we will be happy with. Plus, the cosmetic things are easily changed.

I know some people don't like the "cookie cutter" image that tract homes have and they don't think there is enough yard space. Going through the various subdivisions that the builder has, most of the homes have enough differences that they don't scream they are the same. In some of the custom-level subdivisions we have toured, many of the homes look much the same from the street. Plus, whether it's in our preferred builder's subdivision or the more expensive ones, the homes are built very close together.

I know the reputation that many tract home builders have in regards to sloppy work and trying to cut the budget as much as possible. I'm sure this company, which is a regional concern as opposed to a national builder, has some dissatisfied customers. But I also know people who live in custom homes (and I've read enough stories here) to know that there are some bad custom builders as well. I have friends who own homes built by this company and they are very satisfied with their purchase.

What it boils down to for us is that we are perfectly happy with the laminate countertops available from the builder and while we will change the carpet and will likely find our own cabinets for the kitchen (or maybe not), we don't want dozens of choices clouding what we hope will be a pleasant and exhilarating experience. While many people here are building beautiful custom homes, we think our home will be just as beautiful. What makes it even more so will be the lack of surprises awaiting us as the builder will generally carry that burden and the fact that once we are in what will be the last home we ever own, it will be something we can afford.

I look forward to learning a great deal from everyone here.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus