SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
latimore_gw

What makes 'vinyl safe' paint vinyl safe?

latimore
13 years ago

I am researching paint systems to use on my vinyl shutters and want to paint them a very dark green (like BM Essex Green). They are faded dark green right now. Most have been on the house for 10+ years, but a few will be new because I'm replacing some existing ones that are inappropriately sized.

Sherwin Williams markets products with "VinylSafe technology" - the description makes it sound like this is a characteristic of the color, not the paint, as it is available in a couple of their lines.

Does anyone know what makes these products "vinyl safe"? I read elsewhere (old posts on this forum) that it is the omission of black pigments. If that is the case, wouldn't any full spectrum paint (i.e. Ellen Kennon) be considered "vinyl safe"? Or does the "vinyl safe" characteristic come from an additive that is mixed into the paint?

My plan is to clean the shutters well with TSP, sand a little (patch screw holes), prime with XIM Plastic & Vinyl Primer and let that dry really well, and then apply topcoats.

I'm trying to figure out:

A) which type of paint will be best for the top coats (brand, type, finish, etc.)

b) if this XIM primer is the best product for this application or if there is something else out there that I should consider

B) how to get the very dark green color I am looking for without causing warping or peeling because the paint will be darker than the original color. Is this possible?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams Vinyl Safe Colors

Comments (5)