SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awm03

Old Fashion Milk Paint Safe Paint -- great color!

awm03
15 years ago

After reading about clay based & environment friendly paints, I decided to try milk paint. I'd never painted with it before and was nervous about painting several rooms with it. I floated a request for comments in this forum in late summer and got no responses. So this is a follow up on my milk paint experiment.

Well, it's fabulous! The color is nothing like I've ever seen before. It has a life to it, an elegance, that latex doesn't have. So far I've done two rooms, and the color looks amazing in all lighting. The color shifts (as it does with all paints), but it shifts well. The main difference is it doesn't die out in dim light or shadow, or go ghastly in artificial light. It's beautiful all the time. I can see now why people rave over F&B and full-spectrum paints. The milk paint has a similar effect. Absolutely flat, it looks soft, chalky & velvety. But is rock hard & rough to the touch - a bit surprising. I've never seen a paint with such presence before.

I'm using Old Fashion Milk Paint Company's new Safe Paint, which is self priming and suitable for painting over latex. Drips wipe up easily. Soap & water clean up.

There are some quirks. It comes as a powder, so you have to mix your own by adding warm water. I used a big laundry bucket and a stick blender. Then the product tends to gel at first, so you have to keep water nearby and add a little as the product thickens. You have to be comfortable with painting by "feel" : is the consistency right, is the coverage ok, etc. The color palette is limited, but I made the most gorgeous, luminescent powdery gray/blue by mixing 48 oz. of Oyster White and 3 oz. of Blue Green. And it was fun to make my own color. In the future, I'd like to experiment with getting the milk paint base and adding my own pigments.

Anyway, now that I've experienced this, I'll never go back to latex unless it's for a kitchen, bath or room for children where you need something scrubbable. The clay based/full spectrum paint accolades are not just marketing hype.

Comments (10)