SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibunt

Please help me with glazing my painted cabinets

lynnbunt
16 years ago

About 5 years ago, before my kitchen renovation last year, I painted my white, chipping cabinets Ben Moore oil-based paint in Olive Branch. I had to do a lot of sanding around the areas that were chipping, cleaned them and then painted them. Couldn't be happier and I love them so much I decided to keep some of them when we renovated. So now I have those sage green cabinets, a black distressed island and also pine cabinets with a glaze along one wall. My granite is Mascarello and has lots of movement with mostly caramel and black and a little white coloring.

I now want to glaze those green cabinets I painted 5 years ago. I think it will make them richer looking and more of the tuscan feel I want for my kitchen. So here's my questions: How do I prep them for the glaze? Clean and sand? Just clean? I'm not looking to change the color at all. I just want to see the wash/glaze in the corners, like my pine cabinets are glazed.

And, what glaze do I use and how do I apply it? Any advice and instructions you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I picked up some tips from other similar posts but I know there are some experts lurking here and I'd love to hear from you, if you have the time. I don't think I'd dare tackle the job without some sort of advice from this forum. I value your opinions.

Comments (11)