SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenjennv

Vintage stove owners, will you share your experience?

jenjenNV
9 years ago

I posted this to the kitchen forums, but thought perhaps old house was more appropriate, so I apologize for the double post.

I've been slowly restoring my 1930 house and just bought a vintage Wedgewood stove!
The guy who sold it to me (I paid $250) works for the gas company and said he replaced the valves. Unfortunately it sat outside under a tarp last winter (I'm near Lake Tahoe) and does have a bit of rust damage, but nothing I can't live with. He hooked it up to his gas truck and showed me that all burners and ovens were in working order. It was missing the kick plate, which I've already purchased from Grapevine Sally.

Now I just need to get it installed. I have to have the gas line plumed to the stove (my old stove was electric). Just talked to the plumber, and he thought my new vintage stove was really cool. His only concern was the whole pilot light thing. If the pilot light goes out, is there a safety valve, or does the gas keep flowing? Any other concerns I should have?

My grandpa had an amazing pink O'Keefe and Merritt stove that I always LOVED! We would visit him in So. California often and I had many opportunities to use the stove, including helping to prepare Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners every year for 30+ friends and family.
Needless to say I am so excited to have a similar vintage stove in my own kitchen, and feel very fortunate that I was able to find one!

The only real con I can think of is that it gets awfully hot cooking on the stovetop while baking in the oven. Although I'm thinking I'll appreciate that more in the Northern Nevada winters than I did in So. California.

Any other comments/suggestions from experienced vintage stove owners?

Comments (7)