SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21881146

Vintage Lamps, Items Repurposed into Lamps etc; Please share your pics

User
8 years ago

I didn't want to hijack deee_gw's thread "What Makes a Lamp Good?" but I'd love to see photos of lamps you consider special or good lamps. As I said on that thread, most of mine are from antique stores, have been made from something I've taken to my local lamp shop or purchased there with the owner making from a find. Most of these were taken with my cell phone with a scratched camera lens, so apologies in advance.

I've had many of these lamps for decades, and like to buy lamps that express individuality, my taste and that can be used in various rooms over the years.

I have a pair of concrete lamps on the sofa table from an antique store. They are extremely heavy. They were made to look like old balustrades. I changed the black with gold lining shades to a nice lined silk. I almost always buy shades with texture. I made the change to LED warm white bulbs after reading a post Jane wrote on Atticmag (Making Sense of LED Light Bulbs ). I never thought I would be a happy converter to LED, but the Utilitech Pro and Utilitech lines are great! They stay cooler than regular bulbs so less harm to shades.

Also in the living room is a metal urn (made by lamp shop owner) with an Asian script finial...

...and a wooden candlestick I had her make into a lamp - she was able to drill a hole through the center. Hard to tell in photo, but it's close in color to the kitchen island.

In the foyer is probably my favorite lamp; I don't know if it was made from a doorstop or something else, but it's also metal and has a good weight.

This cat lamp was purchased when my sister was born for the nursery. It used to have a music box that played, but it broke decades ago. It's in my sunroom, and doesn't exactly "go," but I love this lamp. I used it in the nurseries for our three children. It's almost 60yo and has seen several shades over the years.

Also in the sunroom is a wrought iron lamp made locally in the 50s or 60s. It was originally my maternal grandparents (river house then place in Florida). Moved on to my mother's house, then their lakehouse. When they sold it last year, it came home with me. When I took it to the lamp shop to buy a shade (best way to buy a shade is to take the lamp with you!), the owner laid it down on brown paper to trace so that she could show the metalworker that makes lamps for her. It was originally black, but my grandmother went through the paint and glaze phase in the 70s. I turned it to get a better photo.

This lamp is in the main level guest room. Was originally (last house) in DD1's bathroom. It was bought new, heavy metal with an antique silver finish. The shade is also metal but I covered it with a handmade paper from an art store to soften.

I purchased this lamp (not shade) online. It was made from an antique tobacco jar. It is a gorgeous cobalt blue. It is on the MBR on DH's side. Heavy textured linen shade.

My bed table has an extremely heavy antique brass candlestick lamp purchased at Bombay Company years ago for next to nothing because it would not turn on. Simply needed rewiring - everyone should learn/know how to rewire. Shade purchased at local shop.

This is my second favorite lamp, purchased recently on etsy. Shade bought locally. It's on the dresser in our closet.

I need to go downstairs to take photos, but Houzz isn't letting me add more pictures to this section.

I'd love to see your lamps!

Comments (37)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio