SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auntiechicken

Long Intro and Bathroom paint question/validation

AuntieChicken
10 years ago

Hi, all! I've been lurking quite awhile, and thought it was time to actually join the forums. I'm in the process of renovating my family's farm house. The house was lovingly built by my great-grandfather in either the late 20s or early 30s (opinions differ and I haven't had a chance to look for county records).

I thought the house was four square, but the roof is gabled, not hipped. In any case, the first floor started as kitchen, dining room, living room, "master" bedroom, with three more bedrooms upstairs. Indoor plumbing was installed in the late 50s/early 60s (again, opinions differ). The downstairs bedroom was divided into a tiny bathroom and a small office. In the 70s an addition was built, turning the office into a wide hallway to a new first floor bedroom (and extending the kitchen and adding a laundry room).

Sadly, the house was mostly abandoned and allowed to fall into disrepair over the last few decades. We're trying to bring it back to life, but as you know, it's a long (and expensive!) process.

Enough with the back story! On to the questions :) I am trying to "spruce up" the bathroom, upgrading it from condemned horror to livable. We plan to move the bath to the wide hallway and turn the bath into a "walk-through" closet in the next two years, so this is purely a paint and pretties update. We'd do it sooner, but the roof and the wiring must come first.

I have scrubbed the walls twice with TSP substitute but they still look grubby. How clean is clean enough for primer? Next, my mother put a thin coat of acrylic paint over the original oil sometime in the early 80s (no primer). This paint is in surprisingly great condition, considering, but it did scrub off in spots. Assuming there are no loose edges/flaking spots, can I prime over the whole shebang? Or do I need to get every last bit of acrylic off before priming/painting?

I'm exhausted with scrubbing and am ready to paint, but I don't want to rush it and have a peeling mess. It only needs to last for a few years (Ha! It'll probably be ten years before we get to it!) but I want it to look nice those few years.

Last but not least, thank you for your contributions to this great forum! Thanks to you I learned how to repair the lath and plaster walls, paint the cabinets properly, and remove shellac. I'd be lost without you :)

Comments (4)