SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foxykitten350234

I don't know where to start

foxykitten350234
18 years ago

Hello! This is my first time posting here. I spend most of my Garden Web time on the houseplants forum, but it is time for me to admit to myself that I need to find a way to declutter my home.

A little back ground information.........

I use to be a born organized person. Sadly I have learned this is a trait a person can loose. I think the point where it all started to go down hill was when I made a long distance move and started up my own small business. As a business owner with a DH who has no orginizational skills or a desire to learn any, I either picked up his bad habits or just plain gave up the battle. There have been several moves since that time and it seems each move has jumbled everything up even more. I'm now a happy house wife who does home improvement when she feels like it. I have plenty of time to organize my home and now I'm in a house that has an insane amount of storage space.

Every time I'm ready to try decluttering I find myself overwhelmed. I know my one problem is I don't know where to start. Everything needs help, how can I pick just one area to start with? When I do pick an area I even find myself overwhelmed by that space alone. Another problem I have run into is only doing a little bit at a time. I figured I would follow Fly lady's advice and declutter for 15 minutes a day. HA! That didn't work for me, I found myself getting distracted and not getting back to the decluttering. I can declutter a drawer here and a closet there, but the problem areas like the summer kitchen, attic and basement I haven't been able to keep going....heck, I can hardly get started!

How did you all do it? Did you do a full scale attack all at once or a few minutes a day? Where did you start? Any advice, tips or even moral support would be greatly appreciated.

For those who could use a little visiual aid to see what I'm up against, here is a picture of the entrance to the summer kitchen. In my defense a lot of the crap that is in there was left from the last resident and we didn't have time to clean it out before moving in.

Foxy.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida