SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flying_c

Looking for layout help, pretty please!

10 years ago

DH and I have been banging our heads against the walls and occasionally each other's heads (ouch) for ages now without success, trying to figure out what to do with our kitchen. So, um, help? I posted a layout thread here a few years ago (thanks lisa_a, lavender_lass, judydel, and anyone else I'm forgetting), but then we shelved the project, and now our priorities are different enough that I think it's best to start from scratch:

We are a family of four, with two kids under 5. We cook a lot, with almost all meals from scratch, plus canning, preserving, sprouting, fermenting, brewing, the lot. Some baking (seems to be on the increase lately thanks to Smitten Kitchen's rye bread recipe, yum). The kids help as much as they're able, and I expect that'll only increase. We also drink a lot of coffee (requiring coffee grinder & electric kettle) and fizzy water (using a soda stream that sits on the counter).

The main things we want to get from the reno:

-remove the wall between the kitchen and the dining room
-put a window on the back wall to connect the space to the yard (and so I can see the kids playing)
-vent the range
-arrange the space so that tasks like dishwasher loading and unloading, beverage making, table setting, etc. can happen without interfering with cooking

Here's a basic layout of the space as it stands now:

It's 138" by 138" square. The wall between the kitchen and the DR is supporting, but we've budgeted for the removal. The 6" square in the upper left corner is the plumbing stack. We've been told by our contractor that it can be moved a little, but not enough to make it disappear into the wall. Cabinetry can go in front of it, but appliances, no.

Here's a layout of the first floor, in case that's useful:

We have a couple of plans we're debating, both of which have issues. But I don't want to cloud your minds. Would appreciate any ideas!

Comments (38)