SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

TGIF 10/03/08 Important notice to all!

wizardnm
15 years ago

The TGIF thread on Friday's has been around for years and is one of the few non-cooking threads we are allowed on this, the On-Topic Discussions side of the CF.

I thought (and please forgive me for thinking) that it might be a good time to invite, and make sure everyone knows they are welcome and encouraged to participate. It's one of the ways we get to know each other a little bit better. There are no rules, well maybe one....keep it clean enough so you don't get banned..... 'cause we want you to stick around!

So join in it's......

No major plans on tap here....I have to work all weekend.

Oktoberfest is going on in town and we hope to be busy. But I'll try to slide across the street and check things out as there are many events planned.

And after work I just may enjoy an Oktoberfest beer or two....

Happy TGIF to all!!!!!!!

Nancy

Comments (43)

• caliloo
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy Friday!

Tonight we are off to a black tie event. I am still undecided what to wear, but it will be a blast one way or another. We don't have a lot planned for the rest of the weekend, mostly recovering from tonight LOL!

We will do a little sorting of stuff - lots to get rid of or put away for the winter.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Alexa

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh Alexa, have fun - those last minute decisions are usually the best - I'm sure you'll look gorgeous!

Nancy, great idea. ANd enjoy Oktoberfest! How fun!

I am ready for this weekend. We're going with a few friends and kids to the local homecoming football game tonight - and tailgating in the parking lot before hand - if it's not raining too hard...:-( If it's raining, we will all be here!

We've been car shopping - not sure if we'll do more of that this weekend - and Will has soccer practices at a local university (for kids) both days.

I've got to get my Halloween stuff out, and apparently, my winter clothes - it's going to get in the 30's tonight for the game...

And, I have to use up stuff in my freezer to make a little room for my pork and ham and bacon and sausage and lard!

TGIF - CLINK!

Stacy

• Related Discussions

USDA wants to change importation rules

Q

Comments (2)
    Living in California we have "bug stations" at all the borders. Every time we went to Reno shopping, through the bug station we went on the way back. MOst times we got the 'wave'... But sometimes we were stopped. "Do you have any fruits or vegtables in the car?" If no, have a nice day. If Yes, expect confiscation. Didn't matter when / where / what, they'd take it. I know the purpose was to protect the 'ag state' from foreign bugs... But if someone had been through the station more than once & wanted to keep the oranges, "No" was always the answer. NOw folks ship things all over all the time. Sometimes on ebay I run across the "Can't ship to here here & here" disclaimer on a plant, but it's rare. When plant sales are between 2 people, often we're not aware of any regulations. Sometimes if we are, we just won't mark "live plants" on the box. It makes it through just fine. What I'm saying is the new regulations will probably only apply to businesses, as the old regulations have. Just my humple opinion.
    ...See More

Imported tea: pesticides, nausea, and tummy ache

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Jim: thank you for the link to Charleston Tea Plantation ...I'll definitely order some for Christmas ... I love the taste of green tea. Hubby drinks coffee, but that doesn't appeal to me. A friend sent me a link to how tainted foods from China are, such as contaminated vinegar with anti-freeze (lethal poison). A grandmother in Vietnam was healthy until she turned 98 years old and drank wine tainted with rubbing alcohol ... she became blind & sick and died afterwards. http://www.wired.com/2011/08/china-food-risk/ Pets are also affected by tainted foods from China. From Wikipedia about the 2007 pet food recalls "By the end of March, veterinary organizations reported more than 100 pet deaths amongst nearly 500 cases of kidney failure,[1] with one online database self-reporting as many as 3,600 deaths as of 11 April.[2][3] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has received reports of several thousand cats and dogs who have died after eating contaminated food .... the actual death toll could potentially reach into the thousands.[6][7] Overall, several major companies have recalled more than 5300 pet food products, with most of the recalls coming from Menu Foods.[4] The contamination was caused by melamine in the affected foods. The Chinese company behind the contaminated wheat gluten has initially denied any involvement in the contamination. Reports of widespread and possibly intentional adulteration of Chinese animal feed with melamine have raised the issue of melamine contamination in the human food supply, both in China and abroad.[11] On 27 April, the U.S. FDA subjected all vegetable proteins imported from China, intended for human or animal consumption, to detention without physical examination, including: wheat gluten, rice gluten, rice protein, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn gluten meal, corn byproducts, soy protein, soy gluten, proteins (includes amino acids and protein hydrosylates), and mung bean protein.[12] In a teleconference with reporters on 1 May, officials from the FDA and U.S. Department of Agriculture said between 2.5 and 3 million people in the United States had consumed chickens that had consumed feed containing contaminated vegetable protein from China.[13] Current research has focused on the combination of melamine and cyanuric acid in causing renal failure. Reports that cyanuric acid may be an independently and potentially widely used adulterant in China have heightened concerns for both pet and human health.[14] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls Dr. Oz TV-show tested high arsenic levels in major-brands apple-juice, such as Mott and Minute Maid, with China as their supplier. http://www.doctoroz.com/article/dr-oz-investigates-arsenic-apple-juice The Wall Street Journal has a list of foods most imported from China, here's an excerpt from below link: "Chinese imports dominate some food categories to a striking extent. In a testimony before a subcommittee of the House Foreign Affairs Committee in May (pdf), food safety expert Patty Lovera noted that China accounted for 80% of tilapia, 51% of cod, 49% of apple juice, 34% of processed mushrooms, 27% of garlic and 16% of frozen spinach consumed in the U.S. in 2011." Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Street Journal on foods imported from China
    ...See More

tgif - 2/8/08

Q

Comments (7)
    TGIF here too. Elery is on his way up for the weekend and he's bringing supper, that's a good thing. Tomorrow we're going out to visit my mother and I'm taking Amanda and the kids with me. Check up on the "old people", aka Dad and Stepmom, and do the regular chores then because Elery wants to go to church on Sunday. He wants to meet my pastor, he's shopping for someone to marry us, LOL. I keep telling him not to rush me.... Lori, no one notices those 10 hour days I put in either, but they sure sit up and mention it when I'm half an hour late because I have a dentist appointment or something, sheesh. They don't manage to add up those late days either, to find out that I worked 60 hours and got paid for 40, they just notice that half an hour. And have I mentioned that I just hate the media anyway? chase, I hope that septic problem is quick and cheap, this time of year, with all that snow, it's going to be a PIA, plus stinky. Ick. Terri, no Trader Joe's? Well, OK, I guess a new couch should make up for it. Michelle, we had 14 inches of snow here too, some is going to have to melt before we have room for any more! The rivers are already high here, it's so cold that the water doesn't soak into the frozen ground and we've already had flood warnings. In February! Yes, if we get a thaw, it'll be exciting all right. duane, I'm glad business is good. I think. (grin) Fish and chips do sound good, though. Annie
    ...See More

tgif: 03-26-10

Q

Comments (9)
    TGIF, everybody! Linda, ugh...wallpaper stripping. Good luck with that. Big job. Messy also. Keep focused on your vision for the finish & the fun of watching the new paint transform that room. Alexa, I'm so ready to spend time in the garden. Enjoy the hosta meeting. My early birds are just popping the ground. We've had good precipitation so I'm expecting some good growth this year, hoping anyway. Enjoy the confirmation party. We BBQ'd last night & have leftovers for dinner tonight. Housecleaning happening today. The BIG news here is that we got a conference call from our daughters last night. We'd been on pins & needles for a couple days wondering what was happening. I was just assuming it was a joint Happy BD a couple weeks early for DH. Nope, but it was about birthdays. BOTH of our daughters are pregnant!!! :)) DD#1 is due October 24. They've been trying for about 3 years. She's irregular & it just wasn't happening. She was at the doctor a week ago today & it's official. This will be her second child. DD#1 became pregnant when she was 15 & gave birth at 16 (our first grandson). DGS#1 is now 18 & just finished high school hoping to get into the USCG. Our daughter did not marry her son's father (thank goodness!). Anyway, she's married now to a great guy who wants this baby as badly as she does. We're delighted for them. DGS#1 also seem excited. DD#2 has been married about 7 years. She had a miscarriage a couple years ago. Then, about a year ago her husband lost his job. He was manager of several electronic stores. The entire company filed Chapter 11 late '09. He's not been able to find another job yet. :( Nevertheless, babies don't care about such things & we're all delighted. This is DD#2's first child. She's due September 10. So, we've got grandbabies #5 & #6 coming within six weeks of each other & in time for the Holiday season. This weekend, I want to go shopping for baby stuff! We've got a wonderful baby store here in town. I can hardly wait for DH to finish up some stuff he promised the law firm he's working with so we can go look for cuddly baby blankets, etc. This is a happy weekend in our house! TGIF! /tricia
    ...See More
  • arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Alexa - have a great time! I bet you are going to look smashing no matter what you wear!

Happy Oktoberfest to you Nancy. Fun!

It's cold here too Stacy, I have to also get my warm clothes ready.

On Fridays my kids are out of school early (1pm) so it's play date mania. There will be a total of 8 kids here at one time or another. I had better take some vitamins.

This weekend is 1 soccer, 4 hockeys, 2 birthday parties, and a (hopeful) visit to the Ambler Farm Day festivities.

And homework for me.

TGIF everyone!

AM

• User
    15 years ago

Nancy thanks for giving us the nudge and enjoy Octoberfest, a few cold beer sounds wonderful especially with a few Brats!

Alexa have a great time I know you will look smashing!

Stacy , I have never been tailgating and I don't quite get the concept. I see them doing it on TV and everyone seems to be cooking so much food! Do they sell it or give it away or is that not really what happens?

AM I am exhausted just reading about your weekend!

I'm at the cottage, Clive comes up tonight. Today I am making cabbage rolls and sauerkraut, hey sounds like I could have my own Octoberfest party! Aslo thought I'd try canning some hot sauce.....not sure about this but we'll see.

Not much planned for the rest of the weekend , should be very quiet on the lake. Fine by me!

Happy Weekend everyone!

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone - Although I don't get to post much anymore, I do try to lurk here and in Conversations to keep up with everyone and the happy events/challenges they face. I'm thinking of you guys even if you don't "see" me! I miss being around more.

School is going well but I don't know that anyone wants to read the gory details ;)I haven't cooked much at all since school started but I'm trying to get at it again. Time has because very difficult to manage, however, and at times I feel pretty overwhelmed. Can't really complain though because I asked for this LOL.

I'm heading to work, then to school for an event tonight. My weekend will be - well, school work and a trip to the grocery store (DH is helping though!) I'm hoping I can fit a glass of wine in somewhere.

Have a great weekend!

Sue

• lindac
    15 years ago

I have got to get some plants into the ground....and other plants into the house, and I have about 1/2 a bushel of apples to do "something" with.
    Going to do the "typical" girls night out tonight, going out for brunch sunday....and inbetween I'm going to be working on apples, tulips and getting out some Fall decorations....who knows, I may eveng et so much done today and tomorrow that I will invite the others to my house for brunch.....maybe!
    clink, everybody!
    Linda C

• pat_t
    15 years ago

TGIF Everyone!!!

It's Oktoberfest here this weekend too. Downtown will be completely roped off for the festivities. I'm going with some friends tonight as Erin will be at Daddy's. The weather here in NW Florida is absolutely gorgeous - the best time of year to go to the beach is NOW!

It's funny that Sue doesn't have time to cook because of school. I don't have time for anything ELSE because I'm cooking ALL the time AT school. A very busy week this week for sure. Made some very yummy White Chocolate Bread pudding with blueberries and raisins soaked in blackberry brandy with a rum sauce as I was the Patissier this week. Other desserts: Classic English raspberry trifle, key lime pies, and German chocolate cake with coconut pecan frosting. Needless to say, I had many kudos from patrons of the student restaurant this week. YAY ME!

Everyone chant with me: One more semester! One more semester! One more semester!!!.......

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

Great idea, Nancy! I look forward to everyone joining in. I'll clink back later with a Sam Adams Oktoberfest:D

Happy New Year to those that celebrate.

Caliloo - Have a great time and rest the head and tootsies tomorrow! I haven't been to an "affair" in so long!

Stacy, I always loved homecoming weekend growing up! Stay warm with the tailgating. Funny I tailgated for the first time in years at a Journey concert over the summer and we had cheese curd - from your neck of the woods, right? It was squeaky good...and some kind of bologna from upstate - krugmans...or something. Oink - did you buy a piggie?

AM - I need a nap, girl! It is funny to think that someday we will sit in quiet houses and cherish these crazy days!

Chase - THat sounds like a perfect weekend to me all cozy at the cottage.

Goldgirl - You are doing great! You are an inspiration.

Linda - Enjoy your girls night out. I have apples to do something with, too...

Last weekend was the kids birthdays so that was a crazy week! They are 5 and 1. Can you believe it?

This weekend we are going upstate for a fall festival and for leaf disposal! That is a whole day in itself. We will start to close up the house but not the water yet.

Have to go to the school for a class parents meeting today. My first! I feel like a kindergarten mom! LOL It is weird to be back in "the system" - LOL.

Time to trade in the flops for uggs! Brrr...Stay safe everyone!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Nancy, have one for me, will you?

Stacy, I'm just waiting to see how you like that home grown pork.

Here, I'm busy. I'm leaving work early, a local chef is giving a cooking demonstration and tasting. His name is Eric Villegas, he does a TV show called "Fork in the Road". He's got a cookbook by the same name and has won an Emmy or two. He trained in France then at the New England Culinary Institute. Now he has a couple of restaurants in Michigan and his focus is on local and sustainable Michigan foods. His style is "contemporary midwestern", LOL, and he's entertaining as heck, so that'll be fun.

Tomorrow Elery and I are getting up early to go salmon fishing, the big Chrome steelhead are running hard in the Pere Marquette along with Coho and Chinook and yesterday someone caught a 35 pounder. After that we're taking Bud and Makayla to a local "Halloween Hollow".

Sunday is the farm, I still have things to get ready for the auction and collards and rutabagas in the garden. We got frost last night so it's time for those greens.

Other than that, I really don't have anything planned, LOL. No, that's not true, we also need to put up some gutter on the back of the house!

Annie

• mimsic
    15 years ago

Cheers to everyone! Clink Clink with a bit of cough medicine this time for me. I guess it will have to be a quiet weekend around here since I have Hubby's head cold, complete with scratchy throat, laryngitis, runny nose; thanks for the generosity Sweet-Heart! Oh well, maybe it will run its course over the weekend so I can teach Monday night.

Weekend plans will probably not work out but if I have the energy I will start putting away the summer clothes (Boo-Hoo)and bringing out the sweaters. And I need start preparing for the big Break Fast I am hosting after the Yom Kippur fast next week.

There are papers to read and grade too, but that may have to wait til I can think more clearly. The students shouldn't suffer just because I feel lousy.

Happy tail-gating, soccer/hockey games; play-dates; Black-Tie affairs; decorating; Apple/farm festivals and cooking to all. Take it easy on the highways! Clink-Clink, snore! - M

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

Wow, another friday already. And you folks have me tuckered out just reading about your weekend plans. Some of you (and you know who you are!) pack more into a weekend than I do in a season! Good for you. I wish I had that much energy.

No big plans here. I have 6 dogs right now at the house and 5 more coming so with 11 dogs that pretty much ties up my weekend! I want to get garlic in the ground but I haven't cleaned up the garden yet and still need to order some hardneck. Maybe by next weekend.

Will be clinking some french brandy with 'yall tonight!

Duane

• girlsingardens
    15 years ago

TGIF everyone:)

I went in for a regular ob check and found out that I gained 6 pounds in 6 days. Last week I gained 3 pounds. At this rate, I could gain another 25 pounds, and I have already gained 40 pounds. But you know what?? I could care less how much weight that I gain. My gallbladder has been acting pretty good. At least I know why I am so tired, slow and hard to get around. Carrying an extra 40 pounds around isn't much fun. I will get dh to take an updated picture. I have 5 weeks from today for my scheduled c-section. I am ready to be able to move around more, but will really miss being pregnant. Since I had planned on having my tubes tied with Hayden I relished my pregnancy, this time around it is a little bittersweet thinking this will be the last baby. I love having the baby in me and the girls love talking to the baby and tickling my tummy to tickle the baby.

As for plans, we are going to football tonight and taking it easy the rest of the weekend. I made 17 half pints of white grape jelly and boy is it good. I think I have eaten half a jar with toast ( which could explain the weight):)

Also busy pulling all the kids summer and smaller clothes and putting the new stuff away. I hit some garage sales last weekend and picked up new clothes for the kids fo 50 cents, they even had the tags on them. I also got quite a few outfits for the baby to come, since all the other babies were born in the summer, I am needing warmer winter clothes.

So clinking my Pepsi to everyone.

Stacie
    girlsingardens

• velodoug
    15 years ago

Nancy - Thanks for the invitation.

It's finally cool enough here on the Jersey Shore to get the heaters cleaned out and fired up for the cooling season. This morning I opened up the little Jul gas stove that heats the back room, cleaned it out, lit the pilot and cranked up the thermostat to check that it's working. Our older cat, Francis, heard the starting up noise from two rooms away and came limping in to sit by the fire. This afternoon I'll vacuum out the floor furnace that heats the rest of our living space and light its pilot.

I've put off mowing the lawn because of a bout of sciatica, but I'll probably do at least a part of it tomorrow. Hopefully it will stay cool so this will be the last mowing of the season.

I'm also going to try making the dough for tomorrow's pizza from scratch - a first for me. I'll see what Alton, Bittman and King Arthur recommend and give it my best shot.

Have a good week!

--Doug

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Sunday was the beginning of birthday season around here, so I've got lots of presents to make and pies & cakes to bake. It's busy, but it's fun!

Then, of course, there is the outside fall work to do, and a daughter to help move in three weeks.

Tonight we're going to watch a son coach his HS football team, so I'm baking a deep-dish apple pie with a pecan streusel top and lots of cinnamon to take to dinner at their house before the game. Smells soooo good....!

It's a crisp, sunny, coolish/warm day here....beautiful!

Sherry

• shaun
    15 years ago

OH my goodness! So many of you posted already! Waving to you all and hoping you have fun this weekend!

I have nothing major planned. Working today answering the phones for the appliance company. Not too busy.

Just made up some chicken salad from the Chicken With the Lemon Up It's Butt the other night. What a wonderful flavor for the chicken salad, just a hint of lemon! Toasted a bagel to put it on. YUM!

Craving apple pie since I saw Bobby posted a pic of his.

Wondering what Stacy will make with her lard? hahaha!!!

Mimsic I'm sick too with that darned cold. All week I've had a fever. Hope everyone affected with this GERM gets well fast.

Here's hoping Annie and Elery get a big salmon!

I'm totally envious of all you people up north who have cool weather now. Blow some my way, wouldya?

Ok folks, have a super weekend, stay safe, have fun and Happy Cooking!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think this will keep me busy today and tomorrow:
    {{gwi:2067096}}
    Salsa, pie fillings, enchilada sauce...

DH has been taking the kids, 2 at a time, fishing, and they love it, so I'm sure that will be a good part of his weekend. 12 yo DD caught a Coho Wednesday.

Sunday I'm taking jalapenos and a desk (an odd combo) up to 20 yo DD who moved to 'the big city' for college a few weeks ago. Seems there is always a reason she needs me to drive up each weekend so far. :-)

Have a great weekend, everyone!

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I agree -- how do you pack so much into a weekend?

I started the weekend early by taking today off from work. I had to go for a CT scan this morning(just a precaution) and so I decided to reward myself with a day off.

I am cleaning out my closet. I am never ruthless enough. Even though some items are perfectly nice, I never wear them. I am ashamed to admit I found a number of things with tags on them that I never returned. I will search for the receipts, but most likely they are long gone.

The rest of the weekend is more of the same. Cleaning out, straightening up and --- buying more clothes! Sad but true.

This weather (crispy fall) is making me hungry for an apple pie. I also have to go buy the little pumpkins for my fence. I have twelve fence posts on a picket fence. I put a pumpkin on each post. The little boys next door love to be the ones to put the pumpkins in place.

• compumom
    15 years ago

Nancy, I love your invitation! This thread has been quiet for too many weeks!
    It's been a crazy busy week here too, hosting Rosh Hashana dinner, hosting a reception for 60+ at school (work) last night and tonight we're looking forward to 5 very special houseguests descending on us for 5 nights!
    23 years ago woman of this group lived with us as our au pair! She's from New Zealand and she's bringing her family to the states for a vacation! We're thrilled, she was one of our favorite gals who helped out when the kids were little.
    I don't know exactly what's on the agenda as I've offered our house as the home base for their tourist jaunts, but I know that at least one night we'll be doing a family reunion bbq so that she can catch up with our grown kids and their lives!
    I'll be clinking tonight with a glass of vino! Have a great weekend everyone!

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

I'll be a workin'. Economic downturn took out the competition for one of my product lines! We will get a short term surge in business and hopefully snag some more business for the future. Almost got myself fired screaming about quality issues a couple weeks ago... turned out to be a good time to be quality focused. The part is a money maker we just have to keep from screwing it up. LOL... got my way... all the way. Which is good for everyone where quality is concerned.

Annie!... hope you and Elery get some of those Steelies. They can up in pint jars real nice... grandma used to stock them that way. A squirt of catsup to make it look pretty in the jar.

Doug... give Francis a scratch behind the ear for me. Every old cat should have a warm air duct.

See you all later.

: )
    lyra

• TobyT
    15 years ago

Thanks Nancy- you twisted my arm to post once again. I check in whenever I can, but don't post much, as I can often be away from the computer for 2 or 3 days, and don't feel that it's fair to post and disappear.
    Typical weekend for us; dance, swim club, housework, grocery shopping...I cleaned up our veggie garden last week and will do the front flower beds this weekend. I usually bake bread for the week on the weekend and I think I'll do up a few batches of Christmas cookie dough for the freezer and will probably make the pastry for next weekend's pies (Canadian Thanksgiving.)Somewhere in there I need to find time to continue my quest for a new range.
    I join you all in an ice-water clink!
    Jane

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Hi again everyone and TGIF!
    I'm back home in Tenerife after four good flights over two days ending my Canadian holiday that started August 22.
    Still very jetlagged .....8 hours difference....but getting accustomed to this ....by comparison....very warm and humid climate.
    Vancouver Island was just starting to experience some rainy days and the leaves were turning gold on the maples.
    It was wonderful to visit with my family there and take part in a my big high school graduation reunion 50th anniversary party with old schoolmates.

Today our friend left our home to return to his place in Germany so Wolf and I will be on our own once more. Plenty to do around the house and garden as we are still in summer weather and everything is green and growing.

We have errands to do in the main city and so the other day tried out dinner at an American chain restaurant there (TR'S) which specializes in baby back spareribs. That was a delicious experience as both Wolf and I love ribs, not easily found over here! Now I have to check out my pantry and freezer and see what needs replenishing.

The suitcases are unpacked and clothes are outside drying in the sun, I'm going through my photos of the trip and trying to catch up on what's been going on here while I was away.
    My Suzie cat is very happy that mom is home and doesn't leave my side. I'm going to spend the weekend sleeping and puttering in the garden.

My daughter's kitty came to my room to say goodbye.
    Sunset over Heathrow airport - London.

Raising my glass of local red wine (and it sure doesn't cost $5.00 a glass as in Canada lol) and clinking for a Happy Weekend everyone!

SharonCb back home again.

• susie_que
    15 years ago

Hi all and HAPPY FRIDAY!!

Today I am clinking with chai!!

Last week we got some pretty unsettling news on the real estate front, the agent we had come in said my house would only sell if I list it for get this $80,000!!
    (what the &%$@!!!)
    It was just appraised for far more.

So now we have to decide if we want to sell for the 80 and sell now or wait and see if we get what the house is worth.
    Its really a dilemma since we still owe on the mortgage.

So tonight we have another agent from another company coming in to "talk".

Tomorrow is a short work day for me and I am off on Sunday-prob spend the day going to open houses in our target neighborhood and then out to dinner.

All my fall stuff is out...we really don't do halloween decor anymore so its all just autumn. The flowers in my flower boxes have died off so I will prob get some sort of silk ir dried something to make the porch look inviting.
    Maybe just pick up some small scarecrow type lawn stakes and some mini hay bails, gourds and pumpkins.

I have a funny story...DD Amy is on the dance team at college. This year the tean has been invited to several competitions out of state so to earn funds for the gals to travel the whole team is working at the Philadelphia Eagles home football game this Sunday. No they will not be dancing rather they will be working security LOL!! Patting down females who enter the stadium!!
    My Amy is about 5 ft even and maybe 100lbs but they've been trained to be able to handle just about anything and there will be backup LOL!!
    Too Funny!!

Cheers to a great weekend to everyone!!

Susie

• User
    15 years ago

Oh Suzie wait till I tell my Chris this!

He is a die hard...I mean a seriously die hard Eagle's fan. It's almost a bit obsesive....no it is very obsesive.. he lives , breathes and dies the Eagles. This from a Canadian boy! LOL

He is going to be so jealous that she even came close to "his" team.

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm back home from working today, what a nice surprise to see all the posts and read about everyones plans. We certainly are a busy group!

It's after 6pm EST and I'm ready to **Clink**!

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Well, I'm back home too from work...Busy busy thread...
    Tomorrow at 9am my middle one and Daddy the head coach have a football game..their first in our NEW highschool stadium..it'll be a big deal!
    Then Sunday is supposed to be a fundraiser for football at the bowling alley..I say supposedly because I didn't know anything about it until one of the parents mentioned it Wednesday at practice..I've been so busy with working and such, that I haven't been near a practice in a few weeks.....
    Otherwise..I'll be working on my resume..my seasonal job.....well today was my last day, but I didn't know it til I got there!!!!!! Seems that 2 adults are being bumped out for one teenage brat..who decide that she doesn't want to finish highschool..so mom sends her to Dad, who's the farm owner and he tells the manager/bookeeper that she will work as many days as possible...The other "mom" and I worked week days because teens are USUALLY in school.....
    Oh well....

Time to get my thinking cap on...and come up with expresive words for volunteer time and what I've done with myself over the last 11+ years...not officially in the work force....

• bri29
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm tired just from reading about all of your weekends! Good luck to all of you who have started back to school, I understand how difficult it can be to deal with school, work and putting on something resembling a nutritious meal on the table for dinner.

Since the weather here has turned to "liquid sunshine," I'm making a chicken pot pie (it looks more like stew with biscuits on top, but it tastes like pot pie). It's not the best thing in the world nutritionally, but it sure tastes good! This weekend, we'll be building a cover for our wood storage area, one of the last major projects for this year. I can't wait to get to some of my indoor projects this winter.

Clinking my diet coke and wishing all of you a wonderful weekend!

Bri

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

TGIF everyone!
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to life Nancy! Its been a favorite of mine for years, its great to see so many people posting. I think it was CindyNY or maybe Woodie that started this many years ago. Like the WFD thread, its a great place to get to know people, or like me, catch up with everyone after being out of pocket for so long.

This is the first weekend in what seems like forever that I have no plans.dont have to be here for that, over there helping with this, or working. Not sure what Im going to do as of now but enjoy this Crown and chill out for the evening. Fall is finally here, I think, so I might go get some mums, pumpkins, hay, corn stalks and decorate the house/yard for fall and Halloween. I will be watching my Sooners play tomorrow and catch a NFL game depending on who is playing and the time. I hope to do some baking this weekend too. Its time to try a recipe from the book that Goldgirl sent me a while back.

Here is the short version of whats been happening with me the last couple of months

I have a new nephew, Brett , after a difficult time with her pregnancy we have a healthy little boy. She was on bed rest and in and out of the hospital for the last 7 weeks before he was born. Everyone is happy and healthy.

Dad had another turn for the worst with his health issues that have been on going for the last year. Things have stabled out and he is back home but I dont think he is telling us the whole story of whats going on.not sure what to think about that. He didnt look good when we were up there in July.kept telling us everything would be fine???

My DN left for the Marines six weeks ago and I miss the heck out of him. It was a surprise to all of us that he made this choice and sending him off was the hardest thing Ive ever done. I have spent a lot of time with him and his brother as their Dad has never been in there lives.

Wrecked my truck in one of those chain reaction pile ups on the expressway, Im fine, the truck took a $5800.00 hit in the front and the rear.

DS got divorced, had to help get her place ready to sell.painting, wall paper, yard work, garage sales three weeks in a row. She is down sizing from a huge home into a townhouse. Thankfully her place sold after being on the market for only 45 days. Our market down here is not as bad as it is in other areas of the country. Her and my DN have been living with me for the last three weeks, she moves (I move her) into her new place next weekend. Love her and her DD but OMG!

Had to do day trips twice a week up to KC as my sales manager had to go through chemo for six weeks. All looks to be good for her as it stands now and she is back full time at work.

Anyway, just seems Ive not had the time to keep up here after my move last fall. I still havent got into a normal routine and lately Ive really been missing my little cabin on the lake. Really missing it and I sure hope I didnt make a huge mistake selling.

After sharing all of that (TMI) I need another drink so the next round is on me..Clink! Im off to hunt down Annies reception pictures and see if the DJ survived this oneLOL

Have a great weekend everyone!!
    David

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Happy weekend to all and aclink from Chicago.

Some great plans here. We have a full weekend, but first I am sleeping in to rid myself of this cold that hit Tuesday night. Then, if the weather is clear, some more painting of the new front porch, then we have a wedding in the evening that I am looking forward to. My cleaning lady is having her church wedding after the civil ceremony 2 years ago. She and her DH are both from Poland and have saved for this, plus are thrilled that thier parents obtained visas to come for this. This will be a real Polish wedding and I was flattered that she invited me. I have been hearing about the plans for months. We may be the only "Americans" there. I know the food will be good! Anna is a good women and I like her alot. For a young person she has old fashioned values and a lot of common sense. And she can can! Her homemade Polish sausage is to die for, so her gift is a foodsaver and bags.

Sunday I have toms to do something with, maybe more of Annies salsa or just sauce, but I may go shoe shopping.

Terri, good luck with the resume and sorry about the job.

Nancy, thanks for this. I need the kick in the pants to do this.

Have fun everyone!

• KatieC
    15 years ago

I can't remember the last time I ~clink~ed. I skate through as often as I can...have a lot catching up to do! I keep thinking I'll get time at work to load pictures.Oh for highspeed at home.

Mammogram and blood tests today(the fun never ends), then lunch out with DH and a trip to Home Depot.

Tomorrow I work a half day, then I'm supposed to serve chili at our first annual Oktoberfest/street fair, but it's going to be cold and windy with 100% chance of rain. yick

Sunday we'll clean the beans and squash out of the garden before it freezes. An old friend of DH's is coming and he's vegetarian, so I'm thinking end-of-garden primavera with some crusty bread and salad for dinner. I'm still recovering from a week of quality time with my sister, so I'm hoping the guys will want to hide out and relive old time so I can get caught up on some things.

Good to 'see' everyone! Have a good weekend...~clink!~

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Busy here at my crazy house. We have soccer in the morning, hockey tryouts for my son, hockey coaching for me for my daughter's team, football for my son and then more tryouts on Sunday. But who am I kidding? I love it all.
    Clinking my now empty wine glass.
    Jo

• happygram
    15 years ago

My name is Mary and I'm a lurker.

Reading about all of the fun/work/busy/useful plans really makes me want to take a nap.

This weekend, I'm going to a soccer game (the players are 6 year old girls and you can often hear a parent call out, "Leslie, it's the other way!", I'm going to take the plunge and start to cut out a quilt I'm making for a new and first grandson (I've never done a quilt before), I'm taking an hour photography class that claims to teach about depth of field, f-stops, and other goodies on that same order, I'm going to catch up on a couple of Project Runways that I "DVR'd", and go out with some friends to finish planning a trip we're going to be taking with them this May, and framing some pictures.

I'll raise my glass of diet Coke tonight and tomorrow will hit the harder stuff.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

• sprout26
    15 years ago

Nancy, thanks for the invite, "long time reader first time poster" (like the radio shows, eh?)
    Anyways, since I was sitting here not sleeping, got to catch up on all the goings on, what a busy group.

Sunday happens to be our anniversary so we're doing a little overnight away from the kiddies. We chose one of the local ski resorts, nice Sunday brunch, do a little hiking etc etc. Fall days in the the canyons can be lovely. Unfortunately, there's a storm blowing in and there's snow predicted for that elevation! Guess we'll take a movie, have a picnic on the floor and hang out in the hot tub. At least someone besides me will be doing the cleaning and cooking.

Hope everyone has a lovely.
    Lisa

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Well, it's not Friday anymore! Reading everyone's plans is interesitng, but I need a spreadsheet to keep ya all straight. DH had the day off work Friday. We went to the big city for groceries-four stores and a sport wagon full of goodies. Today the weather is perfect for working in the gardens. Flowers that spent the summer in pots were put in the ground along with the 75% off bargains I bought. Sunday, DS and his new GF are going with us to see Il Trovatore. They are both senior music performance majors, so it should be fun. :-D

Cheers!
    Judy

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Great response, Nancy...
    Nothing exciting here this weekend...I had that party last weekend, so I am happy to not have anything to do this weekend...and I am tired reading all that you are doing...

David you know what they say about company and fish..3 days etc!! LOL

Hope all of you are enjoying yourselves..beautiful fall day here on Long Island, sunny and clear...

• chancesmom
    15 years ago

Wow, is this ever a party thread!

We are gutting our bathroom upstairs so I am spending the weekend cleaning up and keeping Chance out of Dave's way! Not much cooking going on as it would be covered in dust in 2 seconds. Going to friends for an early thanksgiving on Sunday, but that is about it for plans.

Sharon, Chancey says hi, wish we were there with you!

Enjoy your octoberfest everyone; welcome sprout and happygram!

janet

• lindac
    15 years ago

Cothele.....where in zone 5 is Il Trovetore going to be performed???
    I think I live in the vast opera wasteland!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Linda,
    Indianapolis Opera! Sunday at 2p in Clowes Hall at Butler University. Are you close enough to come?
    Judy

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Good Morning! I know this is a TGIF thread, and it's now Sunday, but I just wanted to let everyone know how much I enjoyed reading about weekends that don't involve moving! Yeah, we're moving this weekend, and I'm plum frazzled (sounds like a lipstick color).

I'll be happy to have the extra room, and a yard that actually has a small planting bed in the full sun where I can put in veggies next year, but jeepers, moving is NOT the way I like to spend a weekend! On top of that, DH decided to have a yard sale to get rid of a bunch of stuff on Saturday, but it got rained out. The first rain of the season, and it had to fall on his parade (so to speak).

So, with all the turmoil around here, it was nice to take a few minutes to read about normal people, having normal weekends!!

:D

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Sneaking in late.good job Nancy starting this thread!

Alexa, please post a picture of you all done up to the nines.

Stacy have fun with your pork haul, been following the conversation on your thread. Good luck with car shopping toomy 10 yr old, 150K van is still going strong but starting to creak.maybe Ill let DS #2 have it. Yikes!

AM these years will fly.

Sharon the weather is finally turning cool here too and I may try canning again, good luck with yours.

Hang in there Goldgirl, one day you will have a life again.

LindaC (still want to go to LindaWhatever) let us know what you do with those apples.

Pat T: One more semester! One more semester! One more semester!!!....... One more semester! One more semester! One more semester!!!.......that enough?

Maggie I have no concept of close up the house, but good luck.

Annie, DS #2s English teacher has a photo of a giant fork stuck in a road on her website. I chuckle every time I get there. I hope that chef puts out food worthy of your standards, I know youll be analyzing every dish to see if you can do better. Bring us some good recipes, and pix of salmon hauls.

Mimsic feel better. Wednesday night approacheth.

Duane, 11 dogs.wow. Glad you have the work but oh boy thats a lot of poop to pick up.

Stacie, glad your gallbladder is cooperating until you can deal with it!

Doug, my in-laws are dealing with a bunch of elderly cats. You guys are all saints. Hey if the pizza turns out, I have some caputo flour I can send ya. I picked up some at a local Italian store (same one I get my 6-in-1 tomato sauce, also beloved by pizza heads). My DH is the pizza guy here so I may get him to make something tonight. Hmmmm..cool weathermaybe pizza.

Sherrmann we are busy w/bdays in October too. I notice lots of bdays this time of year.means people are busy in February when its cold, and nice and warm inside? Darfc.

Shaun watch out I might just crank call ya while you are working the phonesFeel better!
    Rhome410, nice haul, welcome again to the forum.

Dedtired I feel your pain. DH has more time off work so he has decided to go on a closet clean out rampage. My closets too. Grrrr. Sometimes being single looks good.

Hey Ellen think reciprocation.vacation in New Zealand? Photo ops!

Lyra, mixed blessings, eh? Stick to your guns, sweetie.

Tobyt, by now you should know is OK for non-liner postings, LOL. Youre an old timer and have earned it!

SharonCB, welcome home!

Susie hang in there, I think the market will turn around, but not for a while. I have friends in similar boats.

Terri, keep your finger on that farm job. Somehow I bet that teen wont last long and theyll be calling you again.

Bri29 enjoy the projects, gotta love em. Me? I surf WAY too much.

Awwww David. You need a HUG. Sending you a big one. Looking forward to the real thing in November.

Peppi, glad to hear the house survived that rain you showed us. And a Foodsaver set up looks PERFECT for that new couple, good thinking!

Katiec, my favorite librarian, keep on trucking.

Jojoco were couch potatoes. Im jealous!

Happygram youre not as much of a lurker as you think you are bwahahaa. Hey we have our own quilter on the forum, Teresa NC7. Go check out her excuse me thread on conversations, if you havent already (too lazy to check).

Sprout26, Im craving Utah againtime to think of skiing. Happy Anniversary!

cotehele, I have a funny Il Trovatore story (were BIG operaholics). When the kiddies were young, we took them to a student preview. We had prepared them by showing them the movie, telling them the character/story, playing the music (especially the Anvil Chorus) and of course showing them the Marx Brothers A Night at the Opera. DS #2 fell asleep in the car on the way there. He woke up crying I dont want to sit through a three hour opera!. The minute the house lights went down, and the curtain up on the castle scene, his eyes got big and he was enthralled through intermission. We sneaked down from nosebleed to third row center after intermission. After the show he proclaimed mom, if I can sit here, I want to go to operas! Ka-ching, ka-ching.um grow up a bit, kid when you can sit through the Ring cycle, well add you to our subscription. LindaC, every time there is an empty seat by us, I put you there in spirit.

Kathleen.enjoy a quiet weekend. I like alternative busy ones with quiet times. [hint: I open a Word document, make it a smaller window, and catch up from there.]

Chancesmom, give that girl a hammer and nails and put her to work on that demo. We put ziplocks of time capsule stuff in our bathroom walls when we were remodeling a newspaper, a letter, etc. I asked the future owners why they dont like my gaudy Italian powder room, LOL.

Rachel, good luck moving. No info on the new kitchen?

My turn? Yikes! Friday we had my inlaws over for dinner, DH put a chicken on his beloved Big Green Egg. Im the only one in the family that doesnt like chicken/beef on that thing. It was a late dinner because he had spent the afternoon in downtown LA talking with a Bee Keeping company. Because of our garden, we now have a hive on our side yard (pretty sure its Euro not African beasties) and DH wants to keep it but move it down to the bottom of the garden. May not be doable, but hell try. Its next to a row of oleanders and he says honey from those blossoms are toxic, so we wont be harvesting any.

Saturday we started setting up our sukkah or booth for the Biblical Festival of the Tabernacles which starts Oct 13th. We come up with humorous decorative themes remodeling (hanging power tools from the roof), disco, my favorite a few years ago was mentally ill bible heroes. Lots of those! This year Im thinking it would be topical to choose either Jewish bankers (good AND bad) or Jewish political candidates. LOL.

Last night we took the kids, as part of DS #1s bday present, to see The Capitol Steps; he is into politics. We went out to a good Japanese restaurant, his favorite, before hand. Good laughs. Poor kids bday falls on Yom Kippur eve this year. Bound to happen as he was born the day after YK.

Today DH and I are going to a swap meet to pick up more parts for the sukkah. I think Ill put up a pizza (Dougs fault) for tonight. I have to start planning Yom Kippurs dinner meal on Wednesday nightDS #1 has asked for salmon in puff pastry, and I suggested it would be good with an avgolemono sauce, with orzo pilaf on the side he is delighted.

Whew, it was easy doing this on Word, with the TGIF thread open in another window, then cutting and pasting!

Clinking with water to everyone (big water drinker)!

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Thanks Jessy! As for the new kitchen, the absolute best part of the move (even better than more room, more room, more room) is that the stove is GAS!!! YAAAYYYYYY!!!!

It also has a convection oven, which is something I've never used, and don't really know anything about. A real pantry (no more shelves in the garage for my dry goods)and a kitchen island are just icing.

I hadn't realized that Succoth was coming. But DH and I happened to watch "Ushpizin" (guests) again the other night, and if you are looking for a wonderful movie about Faith, commitment and love set during Succoth, I strongly recommend it. It is in subtitles, which I know some people don't care for, but it is just about as charming a movie as I can think of. We got it from Netflix.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Now that the weekend only has about half a day to go, we should consider another thread -- how much I really got done of the plans I had.

My weekend ran into two glitches. One, my BF came over yesterday and took me for a long ride in the country, We bought pumpkins and had lunch at St. Peters Village, a small historic town about an hour away. So -- no closet cleaning yesterday.

This morning I woke up at 7, thinking yay, I'd get a jump on the day. Well, I would after just a few more minutes snuggled in bed. Next thing I knew it was 10:30! I read the Sunday paper and am now just barely getting started on my day.

I think I will just leave some of my cleanup projects for when I retire in a few years. Maybe I'll be looking for something to do with my time then.

So, I hope you all checked everything off your lists and are ready for a new week.

Pam

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Jessyf, cute story :) DS loved opera on Great Performances when he was pre-school age. The older he was the less interested he became. We took him with us (protests and all) until he was 16. He is coming full circle; a GF voice major helps alot-ha!

• partst
    15 years ago

Boy am I late for the weekend I always enjoy reading what everyone is doing. I usually dont plan much for the weekend and just kinda let it happen. I didnt plan on doing anything at all but mentioned to DH that I needed to really get serious about the windows before it gets cold around here so after a summer of workman in and out of the house, sawdust, granite dust and drywall dust DH helped and we washed every window inside and out. Took all the curtains, drapes and levolors down and washed, ironed, cleaned them and put them back up. I am really tired but they looked so nice and clean when the sun came over the mountain this morning. What a difference having someone that is 6 4" on the other end!

I hope everyone had a great weekend.
    Claudia

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths