SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

anyone make bread in the food processor?

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

Since my microwave with bread maker function died a few weeks ago, I lost my bread machine. I don't want to buy a new one because I haven't found any I like, and don't have much room to store another bulky appliance. Though it would be fun to buy a new appliance, my apartment is just too small. Stand alone bread machines are huge! I have the Kitchen Aid Classic stand mixer, but I don't like using it for bread. It seems to struggle and the flour gets all over no matter how slow I go. I would like to try making bread in the food processor. I just wonder if any of you do this, and what kind of results it gives. I read that it's easy to do, but can kill the yeast if you don't start with chilled ingredients because the dough gets heated considerably. While I liked the timed rises and automatic kneading of a bread maker, I've never been happy with the shape of the loaf or the paddle hole in the bottom. Even when I had a bread maker, I baked in regular oven, so this shouldn't be much more work than I'm used to.

Anyone have any good recipes to try in the food processor? I'm pretty sure I can just use my classic "wonder bread" type recipe or honey wheat with no problems.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No experience using a food processor for bread, but here are some recipes from Better Homes and Gardens Food Processor Cook Book. Be sure to check the User's Manual that came with your Food Processor for recipes. -Grainlady

...When making yeast breads remember that most processors can't handle more than 3 cups of flour. You may need to cut your recipe in half and prepare consecutive batches to bake the desired number of loaves. Both conventional and easy-mix recipes can be used.

Do not process the dough for more than 60 seconds; if it hasn't formed a ball, shape by hand. If the motor begins to slow down, quickly add a little more flour. This should free the dough from the blade so the motor can return to normal speed.

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
    1 pkg. active dry yeast
    1 c. warm water (115F)
    2 T. brown sugar
    1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 c. whole wheat flour
    2 T. shortening
    1 t. salt

Conventional Method: Dissolve yeast in water; add sugar. Combine flours. Insert steel blade; add 2 cups flour mixture, the shortening, and the salt. Process with on/off switch till resembles cornmeal. Add 1/2 c. yeast mixture; process with 4 on/off turns. Let machine run 15 seconds or till ball of dough forms. If dough seems sticky, add 1 to 2 T. all-purpose flour. Do not process more than 60 seconds.

Place dough in greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place till double (45-60 minutes). Punch down. Shape into loaf; place in greased 8x4x2-inch pan. Cover; let rise till double (30-45 minutes).

Bake in 375°F oven about 20-minutes. Cool on wire-rack. Makes 1.

Easy-Mix Method: Using ingredients as above. Place steel blade in workbowl; add 2 cups flour mixture, dry yeast, sugar, shortening, and salt. Process with 4 on/off turns till resembles cornmeal. Add 1/2 c. water; process with 4 on/off turns. Add remaining 1/2 c. water; process with 4 on/off turns. Add rest of mixture; continue as above.
    ------------------------------------

SWISS RYE BREAD
    3 oz. Swiss cheese
    1 c. milk
    1 T. sugar
    3/4 t. salt
    1 pkg. active dry yeast
    3/4 c. rye flour

Insert shredding disk in work bowl; shred cheese. Remove and set aside.

In saucepan heat milk, sugar and salt over medium-low heat just till mixture is lukewarm (110°F), stirring constantly. Stir in yeast; let stand 5 minutes.

Place steel blade in work bowl; add the all-purpose and rye flours, shredded cheese, and half of the milk-yeast mixture. Process with 4 on/off turns. Add remaining milk-yeast mixture; process with 4 on/off turns. Turn machine on again and process about 15 seconds or till ball of dough forms. Do not process more than 60 seconds. (If dough seems sticky to the touch, add 1-2 T. additional all-purpose flour; process with 1 or 2 on/off turns.)

Place ball of dough in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place till double (45-60 minutes). Punch down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Shape into a loaf. Place in greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise till nearly double (30-45 minutes).

Bake in 375°F oven for 35-40 minutes or till done. It top of bread browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil the last 15-20 minutes. Makes 1 loaf.
    -----------------------------------------------

WHITE BREAD
    1 pkg. active dry yeast
    1 c. warm milk (110°-115°F)
    3 c. all-purpose flour
    1 T. sugar
    1 t. salt
    1 T. cooking oil

Soften yeast in warm milk; set aside. Place steel blade in work bowl; add 2 cups of flour, sugar, salt. Add half of the milk-yeast mixture; process with 4 on/off turns. Add remaining milk-yeast mixture and oil; process with 4 on/off turns.

Add remaining 1 cup flour; process with 4 on/off turns. Turn machine on again and process about 15 seconds or till ball of dough forms. Do not process more than 60 seconds. (If dough seems sticky to the touch, add 2-3 T. additional flour; process with 1 or 2 on/off turns.)

Place ball of dough in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place till double (1 to 1-1/4 hours). Punch down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Shape into a loaf. Place in greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise in warm place till double (about 45 minutes).

Bake in 375°F oven 40-45 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Makes 1 loaf.

Easy-Mix Method: Use ingredients as above. Place steel blade in work bowl; add 2 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Process with 4 on/off turns. Add half of the milk; process with 4 on/off turns. Add remaining milk and oil; process with 4 on/off turns. Add remaining 1 cup flour; continue as above
    ------------------------------------------

CHEESE BATTER BREAD
    1/4 c. lightly packed parsley (stems removed)
    2 oz. Parmesan cheese, cut up (1/2 c. grated)
    2-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1 package active dry yeast
    3/4 c. cream-style cottage cheese
    1/2 c. water
    2 T. butter or margarine
    1 egg

Place steel blade in work bowl. Add parsley; process till chopped. Add Parmesan; process till parsley and Parmesan are finely chopped. Add 1-1/4 c. of the flour and the yeast. Process with on/off turns till combined.

In saucepan heat together the cottage cheese, water, and butter or margarine just till warm (115° to 120°F) and butter is almost melted, stirring constantly.

With machine running pour heated mixture through feed tube, add egg. Stop machine; add remaining 1 cup flour. Process with 4 on/off turns, continue processing for 5-10 seconds or till well mixed (dough does NOT form a ball). Turn dough into greased bowl. Cover, let rise till double (45-60 minutes). Stir down. Spread evenly in a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole. Cover, let rise till nearly double (about 45-minutes). Bake in 350°F oven for 45-55-minutes. If top of bread browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes. Remove from casserole; cool. Makes 1 round loaf.
    ------------------------------------------

BRIOCHE LOAF
    Brushing the egg yolk and milk mixture gives the loaf a golden color. Use either a standard loaf pan or a special brioche mold --

1 pkg. active dry yeast
    1/4 c. warm water (110°-115°F)
    2-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    6 T. cold butter, cut into pieces
    4 t. sugar
    1/2 t. salt
    2 eggs
    1 egg yolk
    1 T. milk

Soften yeast in the warm water. Place steel blade in work bowl; add flour, butter, sugar, and salt. Process till butter is very finely cut into flour mixture. Add yeast-water mixture and eggs; process about 20 seconds or till mixture forms a dough. Do not process more than 60 seconds.

(If dough seems sticky, add about 1 T. additional flour, process with 1 or 2 on/off turns.) Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in warm place till double (about 1-1/2 hours). Punch down; cover and let rest 10 minutes.

Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pan. OR, shape into a ball and place in a greased 6-cup brioche mold. Cover; let rise till double (about 1-hour). If desired, combine the egg yolk and milk; brush over loaf. Bake in 350°F oven about 30 minutes or till done. Remove from pan; cool on rack. Makes 1 loaf.

• pat_t
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bobby - I have made dough in my FP (I have the 11 cup KA FP and it's RED!

Here's a link to some of the recipes I have collected: Click here