SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

any tricks to stop the dadratted furniture from rattling?

johnmari
16 years ago

We have bouncy floors throughout our ~1350sf, ca. 1900 vernacular "Victorian Lite", but there is currently insufficient budget to address that rather costly project (there's a cascade of "in order to do X, you have to do Y, but before that Z needs to be done", and then there's repairing the damage from actually doing the repairs!). Besides the weird boing-boing-boing sensation every time someone takes a step, the furniture rattles something fierce, especially anything with drawers like dressers, sideboards, etc. I am a VERY light sleeper, and my DH, although very loving and wonderful, is a large, ungraceful man who cannot seem to manage not to walk like an elephant (I weigh only about 10% less than he does and I don't stomp when I walk unless I intend to, I don't quite get it), so if he gets up between the rattle and the bounce I'm awake too. It's not exactly amusing when I take a step and listen to the drawers knock either.

I can't be the only one with trampoline-y floors - does anyone have any quick-and-dirty tricks for minimizing the furniture's rattling for a year or two until we can address the underlying problem, before I commence defenestration? Just removing the offending pieces really isn't practical, I kinda need them to keep our clothes off the floor!

Comments (7)