SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darthsquirrel

teak furniture

DarthSquirrel
18 years ago

Am very tempted to plunge for a teak outdoor dining set now on sale at Smith & Hawken but have a couple of questions before spending all that $$$$$$$$$

First, I read that teak can be either sealed or left as is to weather. If I seal the wood, it will probably never dry out or split (splinters, ouch), right? But if I don't seal it, I will save myself a lot of work (have unfond memories of sealing decking with Woodlife long ago, every 2 years, what a PITA). Am assuming that once teak is sealed, you commit to regular maintenance (an all or nothing approach)?

Next question is about the furniture legs. If we get this set, it will have to go directly onto the grass (we have no patio) and be out year round. I know teak is supposed to be impervious to wet, they build boats from it and all that, but I keep thinking those chair and table legs will wick up water from the ground and eventually deteriorate. Does this stuff REALLY not need to be protected from contact with the ground, or is all that just a marketing ploy?

Would hate to plunk down this kind of $$$$ only to find that 5 years from now the legs are turning black from the ground up, so would appreciate any real-life advice from those who have had unsealed teak furniture in place, on grass, for a while now.

Comments (7)

Sponsored