SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Our cat is clawing the corners of the furniture....

User
13 years ago

Mossimo (Mossy/Moss) is our 11 year old Himalayan cat. He's become quite defiant and grouchy in his recent years. He was never destructive with his claws and only used scratching posts. About a year or so ago he discovered he liked the back corners of my furniture. You've all seen it - the red paisley couch and loveseat. Both back corners of the loveseat are scratched but the one you see coming down the hall and when you walk into the room is the worst. Today I noticed, through the threads, there's actually white stuff coming out. The little sweetie has gone through all the material.

I need thoughts on how to keep it from getting worse. At one point I wasn't sure if he started to try and use the arm so I put two sided tape along that side. I had thought about putting tape on the corners but I was concerned he'd start elsewhere.

We have a scratching post a few feet from the furniture. It's been there since we've moved in and he never had any problems using it. I even bought a new one and sat it beside the other one. NOPE! He likes the furniture.

Ideas on what I can do? Someone mentioned screwing piece of wood to the corner! I cringed but it can't look much worse than it does now.

Please no suggestions to get rid of the cat and he won't be declawed.

Comments (37)