SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynsmom_gw

Hair of dog and claw of cat...

bronwynsmom
15 years ago

No, it's not a recipe for witches' brew...

Reading another thread, I wanted to pass along my two tips for living peacefully with critters and nice furniture, and ask the rest of you what your solutions are.

First, claws...Cats come back to the place they've gotten accustomed to clawing, and you want to discourage the habit from forming when you can, and change it if it's already formed.

There is a product called "Sticky Paws" that comes in sheets or on a roll like packing tape. It's a double-sided tape that essentially disappears onto upholstered furniture, and won't damage the fabric when you pull it off. We put it on all the corners of sofas and club chairs and linen bed skirts, and the kitties (who have all their claws) hate it. We get it at Pet Smart. When it gets a bit bedraggled after a while, just yank it off and replace it.

Second, hair...our kitties are black, one long and one short haired, and we have lots of pale upholstery. They are indoor cats, and shed prodigiously, particularly in this season. I brush and comb them as much as they will permit, but they still leave quantities of hair.

The fellow who steam cleans our upholstery taught me this fabulous trick...put on a rubber glove (the kitchen kind or the white latex kind) and rub over the hairy bits. The hair rolls right into a ball, and the little bits that are left come up with one pass with a sticky roller.

Comments (7)