SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anicee_gw

Dog: claw injury

anicee
11 years ago

While playing ball outside with my dog, he somewhat got one of his claw caught or something and the first thing I hear, it's him yelping and there was a lot of blood. Saw the nail was detached and hanging. Brought him to the vet right away where they sedated him and removed the claw and put a heavy duty bandage on it. That was Friday. Bandage is now off (vet's recommendation)

Has anynone's dog here been through this? If so, do you remember how long it took your dog not to feel pain anymore at the site of the nail and be able to run again. Vet says the nail will grow back but it will take time. My dog is taking antibiotics and pain meds. In the meantine I have to keep him quiet and he needs the e-collar plus a sock and this little procedure is more bothersome and painful for him than a big surgery he had in May to remove a foreign object from his bowels and I am not kidding you. The e-collar, eventhough is the right size does not prevent him to reach his paw, makes it a bit difficult that's all.

I have to supervise him all the time so that he doesn't go at it. He was able to remove his sock and he went at it and it's bleeding again. Vet says to put some antibiotic gel and secure the sock. Easy to say. I have to use a large sock because I can't come into contact with the injured toe..much too painful for him. When I go outside I have to put a plastic bag on top of the sock. Dog is a rescued hunting breed that requires tons of exercise and I can't wait for him to be healed so we can go ahead with our daily outside activities. If he was my only pet it would be easier but he's not.

Thanks!

Anicee

Comments (8)