SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pixistix_gw

I won my Category

pixistix
16 years ago

at the Beef contest for a $10,000 prize :) The official (somewhat altered) recipe can be found at the National Beef website, but here is the recipe I wrote and submitted, which is more along the caloric version of the "I'm your cook, not your nurse" mentality, LOL.

Spanish Beef Dips with Caramelized Manchego Onions and Smoky Chipotle Au Jus

1 teaspoon + 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, divided

1 teaspoon + 1 Tablespoon Spanish Smoked Sweet Paprika, divided

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

4 (8 oz) Flat Iron steaks, cut less than 1" thick

2 (14 oz) cans beef broth

3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided

1 teaspoon chipotle pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)

1 medium Spanish onion, halved and thinly sliced

1/2 cup shredded Manchego Cheese

1 (1 pound) rectangular loaf dense, chewy bread, such as peasant, ciabatta, etc.

2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus additional sprigs for garnish

Combine 1 teaspoon of the brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of the smoked paprika and salt and pepper; rub mixture well onto steaks and let stand.

In a medium saucepan, combine beef broth, 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil, chipotle sauce, 1 Tablespoon of the brown sugar and 1 Tablespoon of the smoked paprika. Whisk to blend and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and briskly simmer (uncovered) until serving (mixture will reduce to about 1 1/4 cups and will intensify in flavor.)

Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat; add 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil and onions and cook a few minutes until softened. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tablespoon brown sugar. Continue to cook until caramelized, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and reducing heat if necessary. When done, sprinkle with cheese, cover pan and keep warm.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat and when hot, add remaining olive oil. Add steaks and pan fry on each side for about 5 or 6 minutes to medium-rare doneness. Remove pan from heat and allow steaks to rest for 5 minutes.

While steaks are resting, preheat broiler. Cut bread loaf in half crosswise, then split each in half lengthwise. (If necessary, cut a thin slice off rounded domes of bread so pieces sit flat on serving plates.) Place cut sides up close to broiler and toast until lightly browned.

Place bread on serving plates and top each with a steak. Top with a portion of the cheese-covered onions and ladle hot au jus into side cups for dipping. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over au jus and garnish plates with cilantro sprigs.

Makes 4 servings.

Comments (50)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations