SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_williams89

Half my garden entering the bad category

I had high hopes starting off as everything looked beautiful but of course good old Florida and its heat, humidity, insects, and disease are coming to ruin my summer. If you have any suggestions I would always appreciate it. Everything is grown in a container except the cukes.

1)cucumbers- my japanese cucumber plants are 3-5 feet high now. I lose about 50% of them when the fruit turn yellow and die even after they grow a few inches and I think everything is fine. My bees are completely ignoring these so I have to hand pollinate but no matter how much i use a brush or qtip or take them off I never see any pollen. Those that due form and are even hanging in the air are horribly curved and deformed(often forming a circle). My armenian cucumbers are strange looking also. They are growing but about 2/3 of the way down the cucumbers they get really narrow and tiny about the size of a dime. My lemon cukes are just starting to get female flowers so I will wait on those.

2)peppers- here comes the disease. I am getting those brown spots on my green pepper which has lost over half its leaves. My shishito peppers are still growing those peppers but the plants themselves have not grown an inch and the leaves are constantly turning yellow and falling off. I do fertilize with tomato tone and worm castings but they still look awful.

Zucchini- the plant has gotten quite large and yesterday I got my first female flower but here comes the good old powdery mildew and about 10% of the leaves have turned a sickly brown/yellow. I cut them off and opened the stem and there was some strange looking gunk in them.

Basil- I am starting to think it is impossible to grow basil in Florida. For 2 years straight now it gets that downey mildew on them and eventually dies no matter what I do. I always water from the bottom.

Garlic- just wow on this. I planted them back in september. Half have died and the other half have brown to light green stalks. No bulbs have ever formed on any of them.

Onions- planted 12/8/15. The stalks are still green and I pulled a couple up to plant other herbs. The bulbs have not grown a millimeter. These are those onions you buy in sets at lowes. I thought about waiting until july but they are taking up a ton of room in my giant smart pot and if they are never going to grow I may as well give up. At least I get the tops off them to cut up.

Sorry about the length. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)