SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenp4

plaster veneer or drywall

jenp4
15 years ago

I am FINALLY getting to the point of dealing with the walls in my 1910 farmhouse remodel. I have been working on the project since Jan, and with all new plumbing, electric, walls, insulation, etc. in place, I now get to decide what to do with the bare studs.

If I had money to burn, no doubt I would go with plaster veneer, but I am a single woman doing this project solo, and I have been trying to find ways to make it afforable since Day 1.

I have a $5200 quote for installed drywall and texturing (1400 sq ft house).

If I did blueboard and 2 coats of plaster veneer, I bet that price would double.

I am trying to decide if I should invest in the plaster. I love the feel, sound and look of plaster, but I don't know if it is worth the additional money. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does the veneer crack eventually like plaster? Does it really feel like plaster?

Is it worth doing it because the studs are uneven, and the veneer would help elminate any waviness that traditional drywalling would not cover up?

I am planning on living in the house for at least a few years (minimum).

Just looking for some opinions-- thank you!

-Jen

p.s. I would have loved to save the original plaster walls, but the walls were only 2 by 2's upstairs, and I needed to take them down to get enough clearance for the new wiring, etc.

Comments (13)