SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silicontraption

modern (smooth) plaster over uneven plastered & painted drywall?

contraption
17 years ago

Here's a challenge for you - my wife and I are planning to do a major remodel (think: teardown half the house), taking a 1939 cottage (with 10 year old master suite addition) and turning it into a "warm modern" house (think: Dwell Magazine).

We are working with a great architect, so it's not quite as nuts as it sounds.

Ok, here's the challenge: we are planning on keeping 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms that were drywalled, the skimmed, and painted in the last (10 year old) remodel. The problem is that when we skimmed the drywall we had them match the original 1939 plaster "english" finish (at least that is what the plasterer called it) - large areas of relatively smooth texture separated by "lower" areas or gaps...so, basically a random "splotchy" pattern. Looks good, for 1939, but definitely not modern.

However, in order to make the "old" (saved) part of the house match the planned "new" part of the house (aka. to be done with smoooth "modern" plaster), we need to figure out how to handle the old finish. We think we have a few options:

1) rip out all the drywall and window/door trim down to the studs, re-drywall, tape, skim, re-trim, paint - basically start over. expensive, very messy.

2) somehow "re-skim" the old walls with smooth plaster to match the new finish - is this even possible? how do you get new plaster to stick to the existing painted finish?

3) add a layer of thin (say 1/4") drywall over the old (making the walls thicker), taping, texturing, painting as new. this could be expensive as we would also have to rip out all the trim and add extension jambs to doors and windows, etc.

So, we _think_ we prefer to find a way to do #2 - somehow create a smooth plaster finish over the existing "lumpy", painted textured drywall.

It turns out that we will be tearing down most, if not all, of the original 1939 structure (and plaster), so we think we only have to find a way to rework the newer drywall.

I hope this all makes sense.

So, has anyone tried to take a 70 year old plaster "look" and turn it into a 2007-ish "smooth modern" texture?

Any thoughts, tips, or words of warning (or encouragement) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bruce

Comment (1)