SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slateberry

Removing drywall from plaster without damaging plaster

slateberry
11 years ago

Soooo, all over my house, the P.O.s added layers. I am slowly peeling them back to reveal an 1887 victorian.

My latest venture is the ceiling in a small 2nd floor room. I figure, start with a small room, see how it goes, and work my way up to a big project, like the dining room where the new ceiling layers are obscuring part of the crown molding.

I have figured out that they covered all the ceilings with 1/2 drywall, 3/8" brown coat (but I really think they used cement), and a skim coat of mopped plaster with ugly little flecky balls of plaster stuck in it. I call it low-budget popcorn. It's GREAT!

So, I'm trying to remove the plaster and sheetrock without damaging the original plaster ceiling above it. If I actually manage to do this, I'll patch as needed, do a calcimine protocol (scrubbing with tsp and water, rinsing well) and then use BM calcimine recoater.

So far I've gotten about a 12" square off. The ceiling looks surprisingly good. I can't understand why they covered it! I figured it would have to look pretty bad for them to go to all that trouble. But the removal is slow going. I've been using a dremel multi tool to cut a 6" grid and then I pry off the squares. The blade is dulling fast on the "cement" plaster.

Is there a better way?????

Part of me wonders, am I destroying a really awesome soundproofing job? Maybe I should just knock off the flecky balls, skim the mopped swirls (I tried sanding them and they won't budge), and call it a day. But in the dining room, that won't work. This room is only 6 x 8 so it's good for practice. And, the inch I gain, while not much, will greatly increase the proportional size of the cramped strip of wall between the window trim and the ceiling.

Oh, I'd prefer not to rip out the whole ceiling and sheetrock; I don't much like the acoustics of sheetrock.

Comments (22)