SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
springroz

Why am I the guilty one?

springroz
11 years ago

We finished (finally!!) moving a couple of months ago. We moved 1000 miles, over a 6 month period. We began the process one year ago this week.

As soon as we started thinking about selling and moving, I started purging. I donated clothes, etc, almost every time I went to town. We had A LOT of stuff. DH and MIL keep everyting, even used toothpicks. They cannot part with anything, rationalizing that it was expensive, or old, or will be a antique someday.

DH would not let me clean out the junk drawer in his presence, afraid I may throw away a screw that was important, but had been in that drawer for 8 years! So, I did not touch it. Garage, did not touch it.

The new house has very few closets, and precious little storage, which was probably an unconcious choice on my part... Or passive-aggresive.

Now, it is all my fault that they did not take the time to sort through and give it away. It is my fault that MIL does not have a closet full of cartoon video tapes, boxes around every wall full of broken glassware and silverfish, and furniture with drawers that did not have handles.

Really, I get snide remarks about this stuff, i overhear her telling relatives how horrilbe I am, I had ALL this time to move, and I could not even have garage sale, and I am a bit tired of it. DH is starting to understand a little bit, that to take care of myself and my family, I can no longer be surrounded by STUFF. Somebody has to take care of the STUFF, and I can't do it anymore.

Thanks for letting me vent........

Nancy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH