SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althetrainer

Grainlady, over here...

althetrainer
14 years ago

I have finally talked my husband into keeping the GT Xpress. I guess he was a bit overwhelmed when I told him to try it out by himself. I told him tonight at dinner that we would try out the Xpress together, tomorrow. Now, I need some easy and fool proof recipes so our first experiment won't turn out a disaster. I remember you said you created your own recipes... can I borrow some from you? What would you recommend for us first timers? We're thinking to make dinner for two of us and our 7-year-old little boy.

Also, I made BBQ seitan yesterday using the oven method. The texture was definitely a lot firmer than the boiling method. I used a lot of BBQ sauce and grilled them in our George Foreman indoor grill... was a mistake, because the outside because very chewy (tasty but chewy). Today, I got out the leftovers and sliced them thinly and served them with a cold pasta salad. They LOVED it! So I will be making more soon. I will go to the local whole food store to get more vital wheat gluten.

I have a pretty good size of food storage in our basement. Protein was the only thing that I don't have a lot. I don't particularly like canned food and hubby and little man don't like beans. So seitan would be a perfect way to solve my problem. I plan on buying bulk, maybe 20 - 30 pounds at a time. Do you keep large quantity of vital wheat gluten at home? The store I go to sells VWG in 2-kg plastic bag inside a paper bag. I want to get 5 bags and store some in the freezer. Is freezing necessary? What is the best way to keep it? I am very excited that my two boys will eat this meat alternative.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)