SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

Sub coconut or olive oil for butter in cake,Grainlady

lsr2002
13 years ago

Grainlady, Teri, anyone?

Three lemons fell from my indoor Meyer's Lemon tree and I want to make the loaf cake that Sol posted some time ago. I checked the average weight of a lemon and my three smallish Meyers should be fine. I will bake it in a loaf pan.

But I don't want to use one and a half sticks of butter (for health reasons) and would like to substitute another fat for some of the butter. I would be OK with half a stick of butter and am wondering about subbing light olive oil or coconut oil for the rest. I think the flavor of either would be fine but would a substitution work in this recpe. Would olive oil or coconut oil be better, and should I do a 1:1 substitution. I typed out the fractional quantities in the ingredients because we know what GW does with them.

Thanks,

Lee

Whole Lemon-Poppy Seed Cake

For the cake:

1and a half unpeeled lemons, washed well

1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

3 large eggs

12 tablespoons (1and a half sticks) unsalted butter, melted

1 and a half cups AP flour

2 and a quarter teaspoons baking powder

three quaters teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon poppy seeds

For the glaze:

one quarter cup sugar

one quarter cup fresh lemon juice

Position rack in the center of your oven and preheat oven to 350�F. Butter and flour a 1� quart loaf pan*.

Quarter the lemons, and in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse the lemon pieces with � cup of sugar, until pureed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure no large pieces remain.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and remaining sugar until smooth. Add the lemon pulp. Whisk in the melted butter to combine.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds to combine. Gently fold into the lemon mixture until combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Cake is done when a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack and cool 15 minutes before unmolding onto the rack to glaze.

For the glaze: In a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice with the sugar and bring to a high simmer. Simmer 2 to 2 minutes, or until reduced by half. Brush the glaze all over the cake while it is still warm. Adapted from: The Sweet Melissa Baking Book.

*I baked these individual cakes using (greased and floured) water cooler paper cones I found at a local, restaurant supplier. I placed them in a jumbo cupcake pan for support, while they baked. Coffee mugs also work.

From: http://memoriesinthebaking.blogspot.com/2009/07/when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

Comments (9)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals