Coconut oil not healthy?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (30)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Using coconut oil- discovery of my life
Comments (26)I started using coconut oil not too long ago on my hair, and putting it into my coffee in the morning. yes, it floats on the top of the coffee, but surprisingly, it doesn't leave a greasy taste in your mouth when you drink it. My hair has never been so soft! I don't even use conditioner anymore. I just put a dab on my hands (not much, you may have to experiment) and rub it on and let it sit for a few minutes to soak in, then comb it through really well. Even blow drying my hair doesn't make it frizzy with the coconut oil on. Once a week, I put it on and let my hair dry naturally, so it can soak it all up. It makes your skin so smooth! I tried using it on my face, but I have adult acne, and it broke it out. But I did add a couple of drops to my moisturizer at night, and it didn't break me out that way. Anyway, my skin is much smoother, on my face and everywhere else I use it....See MoreNice Healthy Winter spear (Coconut)
Comments (7)That's wonderful news, and it reminds me that my foxtails new growth has slowed to a crawl for almost a year now. That one goes out for the summer and usually gets several new fronds every summer, but with perhaps having only one warm month here this past summer, it was only just beginning to get one new frond , when it was moved back indoors to warmer surroundings, and quickly began to grow the new frond, but after a month of falling indoor temperatures and very much lower light , that frond's growth has ground to a halt. I guess it's a real achievement getting any new fronds on our palms during the late fall and into winter, as those sunny bright days have been at such a premium til recently here!! Hope you see many more new fronds through the witner Andy! I do add however, the triangle one is already getting a second new frond , which in a way seems a bit surprising, since that one usually grinds to a halt in the witner. I guess they do have minds of their own regarding when they'll choose to grow sometimes!! I'm still debating whether to add yet another gro-lite near the foxtail to encourage that reluctant growth , but my electric bill is already staggering this winter, and I hate to send it up much more , though a lite might add twenty dollars to a month's bill perhaps!!...See MoreCoconut Oil - digestive healing
Comments (10)I got a reference to "The Omega Diet" book from another source and had purchased it and have read first part. Thought it was an interesting coincidence that it is also recommended here. It is a pretty impressive nutrition book. It seems to say a lot of what we have already heard but it really gives explanations. One of the controversial things in the book is that it is definitely against a "low fat diet" per se. There are even statistics that are given indicating that low-fat can actually be harmful. The key is what kind of fat which most of you have already heard, right? Anyway, if you haven't, the book gives a good case for using Canola oil for cooking and Olive oil to a lesser extent. Using flaxseed oil on salads (because can't tolerate heat) is good because flaxseed has a huge amount of Omega 3. One main recommendation is fish, fish and more fish. Seems the men on Crete eat a lot more fish than even most on a standard Mediterranean diet. Their records of heart disease seem very incredible. Recommends fish oil capsules if you don't like fish. Funny, but I've lost 32 pounds since January and one of my tricks has been to eat walnuts as a snack if I'm hungry between meals. I didn't even know it was high in Omega 3. The key for me is that the walnuts help to satisfy my hunger with a small amount. And I'm one of those people who can't stop eating until everything in front of me is gone. The walnuts seem to change that. The omega diet book doesn't seem to have much to say about coconut oil. There are a lot of recipes. Seems like one of the premises is to eat meat and vegetables and try to limit grains. Kind of low-carb to some extent except, as I mention above, it recommends that you avoid like the plague fats high in omega 6 such as most vegetable oils (i.e. corn, safflower). There have been animal studies with Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils. Seems that cancerous tumors (such as breast), grow rapidly when animal is eating Omega 6 but turmor growth is stalled when animal is eating omega 3. Will we even really know what is the best way to eat ? :) --Alice...See Morewhoops, need coconut oil ideas, please!
Comments (10)Thanks for all the ideas! I would love a T&T recipe for ice cream using coconut oil. I've made coconut ice cream, but never with oil, and I've eaten olive oil ice cream but didn't make it myself. Terri - you are absolutely right. I used it yesterday and while it smelled like a tropical drink in my shower, it was much milder after a few minutes dry. It did smell really good in the shower! I may use the scented stuff in the shower from now on mixed with raw sugar for a scrub. Arley, while we are not shrimp eaters, I can think of some other stir frys that would work, and maybe I'll try it in some rice too. And thanks GL, I never would have thought of mixing it with peanut butter. That's a great idea for my kids; I'm always trying to pack healthy fats into their diet since they are so slim. My middle kid in particular has a hard time maintaining a healthy weight, so this will be great on his cinnamon bread in the mornings for a quick breakfast. The kids and DH aren't big coconut fans, so I'll use it sparingly in baking. I'm going to try the vegan cookie recipes since I'm always looking for non-dairy desserts. Thanks! AM...See More- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Stories

HEALTHY HOME12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: An Arsenal of Tools for Healthy Eating
Make cooking and juicing easier whether you follow a vegetarian, vegan, Paleo, primal or other diet
Full Story
PET PLACESPet’s Place: Hugo and Coconut Make Good Company
A professional photographer will take her funny cats over a fur-free home any day
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNEcofriendly Kitchen: 9 Healthy Lifestyle Habits
Good for your body often means good for the planet. These kitchen ideas can help make your cooking and eating routines better for both
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Texas Home Gets a Healthy, Fresh Start
Mold eradication was just the beginning for this Austin family's home on a creek bed — toxins of all kinds now don't make it past the door
Full Story
HEALTHY HOME16 Ideas for a Healthy, Feel-Good Home
Making these small tweaks and bigger shifts at home can help you thrive everywhere you go
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNGreen and Clean: Ventilate for a Healthy Bathroom
Ridding your bathroom of excess moisture is vital for indoor air quality. Here's how to do it best
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHow to Keep Your Citrus Trees Well Fed and Healthy
Ripe for some citrus fertilizer know-how? This mini guide will help your lemon, orange and grapefruit trees flourish
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESWhat to Do This Fall to Build Healthy Garden Soil
Take advantage of the cool season to improve soil texture and replenish nutrients
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Get Juicing
Stay hydrated and healthy with these tools and accessories for juicing fruits and vegetables right at home
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations

annie1992