SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

Housework makes you happy

11 years ago

I have always been a messy person, and I distinctly remember that when I was young, I excused it on the basis that "when I am on my deathbed I'm not going to wish I'd spent more time doing housework!"

At 53 I am not yet on my deathbed but a lot closer to it, and my habits haven't changed that much. And to my chagrin my primary wish as I look back on my life is that I had spent more time doing housework!

In aggregate, I would say it is the perpetual feeling of an incomplete to-do list, the constant burden of "I should do this," the feeling of inadequacy that comes from never conquering the apparently simple task of keeping a house clean and tidy, and then the anxiety/shame (depending on how bad the house is) about having visitors (or outright not being able to have them)... that together make me wish I had done better at this.

I realize this isn't an "organizing" post per se, but being organized and being clean are closely intertwined for me. I have always, I think, figured that I will take the time to clean "once I am organized" and also, it is harder to clean a disorganized environment. If you have stuff standing/lying around, you can't clean without moving it, and putting it back where it doesn't belong seems like such a stupid thing to do.

Then we went and aggravated my problem by moving into an old house that we half-renovated and ...have ...not ...yet ...finished so that we add materials, tools, and indecision to the mix. Why wash a window you are going to replace? Why designate a space for materials that you are going to install and use up? And so it goes, into the spiral, generating bad feelings and marital stress that can eat a person up.

So this article validates a lot for me, although it's not precisely of scientific quality. I hope someone else gets a bit of a lift from it!

Karin L

http://www.frugalbits.com/fitness-health/how-housework-can-make-you-happy/

Here is a link that might be useful: Housework can make you happy

Comments (18)