SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
badgergirl_gw

propping up old double hung windows

badgergirl
18 years ago

I'm usually not in this forum but I'm surfing over because I have a problem with the windows in the old farm house we are renting. Summer is here! Last night was our first night (this year) sleeping with the windows open. Unfortunately, they don't always STAY open. They have pegs to keep them open but the pegs don't always work. In the past, I've used various items - books, pop cans, whatever, to prop them open. But now we have a curious two-year old who sticks his head in the area between the screen and window and I am TERRIFIED of him knocking out the prop and getting slammed in the window! I called the hardware store - they sell aluminum strips which make the windows more sticky. But I thought someone made a metal or wooden prop that "hugged" (for lack of a better term) the window so it cannot be knocked out very easily. Since we're renting, replacement windows are out of the question, landlord involvement is also very unlikely. I need help from those who have been there.... what can I use? Is there a sure, safe way to ensure that open windows stay open?

Thanks!

Comments (12)