SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masshomeowner

planning to replace 17 double hung windows with vinyl

masshomeowner
9 years ago

A few years back we looked for windows and got the NewPro show which really turned us off.

A contractor we trusted offered to help us buy Pella windows through Lowe�s and that worked out pretty well for us.

Now we have inherited a house with 46-year-old windows. We are thinking about vinyl windows this time. With the recent quality control issues we decided not to go with Pella windows.

We loved the look of Andersen 400 at Home Depot but then read on the Forums that they have drafty leaks. Have others experienced draft issues or are consumers and installers pretty happy with the Andersen 400�s?

My concern is that forums might have representatives or supporters of companies who would like to steer people away from old stand byes and give other companies a chance. This is fine if what they are saying is true. But the there seems to be some misinformation or cloudy information out there when it comes to window buying these days so I am trying to nail down the facts.

The Tribute Premium Window from Harvey photos on their website look good in that the grills look more wood like and seem less "plastic" looking than so many of the vinyl one out there. It seems like the grill is on the outside of the glass and appears more solid. So many of the new vinyl window grills look flimsy these days.

I heard Simonton are good from a contractor I trust. I went to the show room of Simonton and the corner seam was rough looking.

I am in Massachusetts and hoping Harvey will have a reasonable price and solid reputation. Any draft issues? How do they compare to the next three when it comes to energy efficiency? Please weigh in on that.

There are three others that have gotten some praise on these public Forums:

Soft-Lite Windows- how come you can�t find any close up photos of them on-line? From afar they look great but I would love to see the interior corner seam.

Sunrise Restorations

Okna- Seems like a very small company with a good reputation. I am interested in the low end of mid-range, so I am thinking the Okna 500 makes sense? It has the corner seam that I don�t like on the interior view.

Harvey, Soft-Lite Windows, Sunrise Restorations, Okna all have lifetime warrantees. Who will still be here in 5, 10, 15 years to honor and support these warrantees? Who is taking good care of their customers now? Whose customers are happy and have been for awhile?

How can I see these brands in person in Massachusetts? I am wary to have them to my house and get stuck with another "New Pro"-like demonstration. I was throwing the guy out of the house at 10:30 at night. My daughter was 6 and needed to go to bed but he didn�t care as he was sweating profusely after insisting on jumping up and down on his window display in my kitchen. It seemed that he was under incredible stress from his superiors on the phone to sell us 70K worth of windows on the spot....

Comments (2)