SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjrnts

Period Faithfulness vs Comfort/Function

vjrnts
18 years ago

Everyone's heard the horror stories about gracious old houses being remuddled to "modern" standards leaving a sad and awkward bastardization behind. Yet, most of us can appreciate the reason for such a remodeling effort; I, for one, can't live with two electrical outlets in each room anymore. I lived for a couple of years with a 1920s-vintage kitchen which was neither charming nor functional. I understand why people want to change things.

But when you have an old house that has a style of its own, how far do you go to preserve that style, and how much do you compromise style to add function or comfort? One of the reasons that we considered new construction was because we wanted a nice master bath with a whirlpool tub. We have bought a beautiful 1920 colonial instead. The main bath has a shower separate from the tub, which I'm sure is original but not unique. It's just a tub. I am considering replacing it with a clawfoot whirlpool slipper tub. It is appropriate to the era (another bathroom in the house has a clawfoot tub, and you have to knock me out before I'd let you remove it), but the whirlpool aspects are clearly not 1920s!

The same with the kitchen. It's dark, with cheap knotty-pine cabinets that have to go; they are obviously not original anyway. But how true to 1920 should I be? A sleek, contemporary kitchen with concrete counters and halogen monorail lighting is probably not in my future, but my first priority is function.

I know that a good kitchen designer will be able to blend function with 20s design elements, but where is your tipping point when making decisions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Some pictures (with the previous owners' furniture!)

Comments (11)