SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divamum_gw

Fashion and function (spinoff from other thread)

divamum
16 years ago

So's not not to keep bumping the other thread started by lynette to the top, I've spun this off as a new thread (old thread linked for reference)

Emmie9999 makes excellent points regarding the functional problems in that kitchen. However, the question that struck me most as I read that thread was: function vs fashion vs taste?

There are obviously some functional issues with that kitchen, and I'm sorry that the owners haven't thought those things through, but maybe there are hidden reasons some of those choices were made - we don't know. (and to address one point raised, I'm going to guess that they decided to add extra cabinets as a peninsula which extend beyond the original plan, hence the anomaly of the cabinets sticking out over the tile border - they added the cabinets without adjusting the floor design. Less than observant GC, or builder who stuck rigidly "to the plan" without thinking about knock-on effects?).

But as for the "look" of it, that's another thing. Why are oak cabinets despised these days? Because they were ubiquitously fashionable for a while, and then got dumbed down when "builder grade" oak cabinets were used in new constructions all over the place. If we think about it, there's absolutely nothing WRONG with oak cabinets except that traditional-style medium oak is no longer "fashionable" and has become synonoumous with "cheap" (even though there are some quite expensive oak cabinets out there - I know, because when we were looking we saw plenty!). I suspect that the "scullery" period look that's so popular right now (and which I have to add I personally love and always have) was happily ripped out of prewar constructions and replaced with oak which we are now ripping out and restoring to the original look. Times change.

Laminate counters - again, why despised? Because it's not the currently fashionable stone or stone-look surfacing. My aunt - a serious kitchen snob, btw, and no stranger to remodeling or high-end kitchens - put in a laminate countertop as a temporary solution while she decided what she really wanted. Eleven years later, she still has it and refuses to get anything else because it's been bulletproof. The rest of her kitchen suggests that it "should" be granite, or at least stainless or some other luxury, fashionable choice, but she has grey laminate which she refuses to trade because she LIKES it.

I guess my point here is that not everybody remodels according to what is considered current taste, and that the range of materials out there means that people CAN choose how to prioritise. Fashion, remoodeling with an eye on resale (thus "fashionable") and following the latest magazine "shoulds" are not necessarily everybody's priorities. The kitchen depicted isn't what I would have chosen for myself in that situation, but I'm sure some of the choices I've made will fall into somebody's "what on EARTH was she thinking?!" category - in my case, limited by lack of funds I have done the best I could with the miniscule budget I have, focused on the priorities which mattered to ME, and have chosen to compromise in some areas which I know I can live with, although those compromises would probably not be the ones many would have made.

I guess I'm rambling, but this entire thread does beg the question of just how much "fashion" is driving kitchen remodeling, and how much "deviation" from "fashion" is frowned upon.

/ramble

Here is a link that might be useful: other thread

Comments (77)

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I appreciate this thread because just tonight (rather, late afternoon on our drive to a vegan potluck -- how happy am I to find people like us here!) I was telling my husband that before I started reading this Kitchen forum I did not know there was snob appeal about knobs (and a "show-off" name brand to boot).

There are many things about which I learned here (Kitchen forum) but the biggest ticket one we'll be incorporating into our kitchen is the Never-MT.

I still have moments (which I've shared before) of wondering if it's all (the whole remodel) "worth" it. When I think about how much it's all costing (financially plus my swearing around the children!) and the fact that we're a young family, I'm left feeling conflicted. On the one hand we should not be spending the money, instead squirreling it away for the future. On the other, since the children are so little and we're no longer doing big travel (other than our once- or twice-yearly visits to Japan to visit family ... aaaah, the joys of a trans-Pacific flight with two toddlers), it's okay to spend the money so we're happiest here in our house, where we'll mostly be for years to come!

I handle our finances so I guess it affects me more. My husband, who is ten years older than I (and the sole financial supporter of our family), is totally blase about it (the financial aspect), saying "it's only money." No pun intended, but now that's rich! I am crazy-mad for David Mamet's line: "everybody wants it -- that's why they call it money!"

Like many here, I would suspect, we have a real and tight budget. We're not having any "well, while we're at it we may as well"s -- the only one I did have was because of money I received for my birthday, so I paid for my "extra" that way. It will literally be my gift.

As I wrote in a different thread, for us function always trumps form. Always. Now that's not to say we won't (hopefully, fingers crossed) have a beautiful (to us) kitchen when we're done! But every single thing we've chosen, every little and big thing, is to satisfy our needs for how we use our kitchen as individual and collaborative cooks.

We spent over a year researching, researching appliances, configurations, lighting, ergonomics .... And during that time, we were also able to articulate our aesthetic visions and marry it with the function.

When natesgramma recently shared her kitchen pictures I wrote how much I appreciated her detailed (open drawers / doors) photos -- to me, that's what is so great (& helpful) about GW! There are some clearly (judgment call) vanity posters, where we see pretty (and tres cher) pictures but not the function. And I think that was a bit of lynette63's point, the lack of planning in her neighbor's kitchen.

Sure, the kitchen which came with this house was ugly, but with some paint and minor cosmetic changes we could've "prettied" it up. But it still would've functioned like crap. And we could have an ugly kitchen which functioned beautifully, but then we would have "prettied" it up for that's the sort of people we are. Beauty matters to me. I'm vain about my personal appearance and my home because I want to be impressed. I don't need to impress others (although let's face it, encomium feels great!), but I want to just breathe easy in my body and space.

The neighbor's kitchen is not my taste, but what struck me when looking at the pictures is how poorly the space appeared to be planned. I understood it to be a custom house, which meant time and money went into its plan. I just felt bad for the owners knowing (well, assuming) that when they move in and start using the space they'll notice all the little things which are out of whack and kick themselves for not having thought of it before the build .... I've no doubt that when our remodel is done there will be things I'll wish we'd done differently as well, and we, too, shall have to live with it / them. We can only afford to do it once. Like divamum surmised, maybe being on a budget makes us more accepting of less-than-perfect?

Well, I think I've veered far off the original topic by now! So I'll leave that when I was in high school (mid-late '80s) I both carried a Papagallo bermuda bag (yep, had the monogrammed cover too!) and had a Flock of Seagulls hair style. Kinda makes you wonder about my vanity I referenced above, eh? Luckily my sons think I'm a princess (esp. when I wear skirts or dresses), so maybe I can fool them when they discover my old yearbooks ....

• divamum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rmkitchen, what a lovely thoughtful post.

Like you, even though we're 90% done (and even though are budget has been absurdly low compared to many/most), I'm STILL having moments of "Ack - should we be spending this money when the economy looks about to tank?" and really feeling quite queasy about it all.

But then I see the difference that the changes to the structure of our house have made in the fabric in our lives. My daughter's entire existence is different now we have her big attic room upstairs - her social world has changed as she can invite friends over any time (since they can go upstairs and play without getting in the grownups way and, to be honest, it doesn't matter if I've cleared up the living room since they don't need to play there!) and, for the first time ever, she's "the one with the cool room and place to hang out". For an only girl, this is a REALLY big deal and she's happier than I've known her in quite some time (and, not at all by the way, having more privacy has prompted her to WILLINGLY spend time with the family - she wants to join us because it's not imposed by too-close-quarters).

The new kitchen has completely changed our dynamic as a family, as we "hub" in this friendly and useable space which just invites us all to hang out. We're cooking better (thus eating better), talking better (and more), the TV is turned off more often (HALLELUJAH! I hate the damn thing, but the other two are junkies), we're more organised (because the basic stuff of life has somewhere to GO and be PUT AWAY). My professional life is easier because my daughter's old room is now my music studio where I can practice and teach uninterrupted whenever I feel like it (without impinging on anybody else's activities in the house - we can all just get on with our thing as needed).

So, every time I have a panic attack (and nothing I have ever done - including getting married, giving birth, and singing in front of 30,000 people - has ever given me such angst as this remodel) I just think about what we've "bought". It hasn't been "home improvement" as much as "life improvement". It really HAS been that significant.

• Related Discussions

What NOT to wear (spin-off of Annie's thread)

Q

Comments (122)
    Martinca, as my screenname implies, I have four kids. My belly has not seen the light of day in years. I too am not overweight but do have a tummy bulge sag as a result. I don't wear low rise anything but I do wear mid-rise pants, etc. it's a bit of a quandary b/c I need to make sure my tummy is covered while at the same time, make sure my butt isnt overextended like it would be in mom jeans that are high waisted. This skirt is not low waisted. I just put this skirt on to be sure (and golddust, I was wrong - I don't have the charcoal color but rather the gray one and a tan one) and it sits much higher in me than in the photo, about an inch below my belly button. For my own body type, I've found that pants,etc that hit me sort of in the middle of my tummy actually look best. Anything that goes higher then creates kind of a bubble effect where my belly is by cinching where I'm smaller - so rather than suck me it, it makes it jut out, if that makes sense. This is especially true in skirts that zip and button on the front. They don't hold me in if the button is higher and above my belly fat. Hard to explain but it just works for me but I'm for sure not exposing myself like in the photos above! And I have the hardest time with bathing suits! I love tankinis in theory but it is so hard to find styles where the top actually comes over the top of the bottoms rather than meeting at the top. One move and my belly is showing! I love the designs of the Athleta suits but unfortunately nearly all their suits have the "meet and greet" rather than full coverage. And now bathing suit is nearing...ugh!
    ...See More

Spin-off of the teen girl/weight/eating thread . . .

Q

Comments (32)
    It sounds to me that your husband's comment was less about YOU and more about how to get the most out of your exercising. I say that because he suggested P90x, which is the dvd set that is often thought to be the "gold" standard that gets excellent results (or in your husband's words, whistle inducing results). You responded that you were too old for the whistles, and your husband basically said that age doesn't matter if the body is "perfect." Maybe it was his use of perfect that offended, but I would take his comments more just to mean that if you are serious about exercising, why waste your time on the lesser exercise systems--and instead just go for the gold.
    ...See More

SPINOFF: China/Dishes - where and do they still 'fit' you

Q

Comments (50)
    I love this thread and hearing about everyone's china! I love blue and white and have: several different brands of Asiatic Pheasant (all English) in different blues, Johnson Brothers Indies, and Masons Fruit Basket Blue (This is what I use for everyday -- these blues) I have scads of Spode plates as well (in both Blue Room and Blue Italian) and use some as everyday dishes and some as company dishes -- I do have platers and bowls and covered vegetable bowls to go with the Blue Room/Blue Italian as well as blue and white turkey plates by Wedgwood and Myott. My Christmas dishes are Royal Doulton Tartan and I hand carried them home from England -- 8 plates, cups and saucers for $12 -- what was I thinking -- why I didn't get 16 or 24 at that price I don't know! Over the years I have accumulated 12 plates, cups and saucers. I also bought some Lennox Holiday salad plates which look good with the Tartan and gives me Christmas dessert/salad plates. I have my grandmother's china -- Noritake marcasite and it's a cream with gold trim -- I really like it and feel like it sets an elegant table. I also have some Famille Rose patterns which I mix and match -- Spode Famille Rose, Wedgwood Cuckoo and Aynsley Pembroke -- not the new Pembroke but the old one from the turn of the century. I have enough for 8 in those patterns and also have a tea pot, sugar and creamer (in the new Pembroke) so I can use the set for tea. And then I have Noritake Duluth which is a 1920's pattern which is a really pretty delicate pattern with a blue band and pink roses. (I use that one the least and have moved it down to the basement -- I can access it but it isn't filling up my china cabinets LOL!) My "wedding china" was Wedgwood Runnymeade -- which I still adore but my daughter admired it and wanted it and so it was our gift to her for her wedding -- we had 4 place settings and when the three of us went to England we bought 4 more -- and hand carried it home! I adore china and am always being enticed by a new pattern. I use my dishes a lot for we like to have company and it's fun to use different dishes to set a table. I also have my mother's wedding silver-plate, my husband's grandmother's sterling, a set of sterling that we bought for $25 at an auction (everyone saw "stainless" on the knife blade and thought that was what it was!). My crystal was Waterford Kylemore and I still adore it
    ...See More

The Undertones (and other animals(c) Thread

Q

Comments (32)
    I guess I just feel very deeply that distance between what I see and how I say what I see..and I strive to narrow it somehow to be able to transfer the thought. Said aprineverends and every color scientist and pioneer of color systems that has ever lived starting with Aristotle. :) That's essentially the definition of colorimetry. Colorimetry is the science and technology used to quantify and describe how humans see and experience color. what is meant by "neutral", usually..and why? Depends on who you ask. Technical - Like undertone, neutral has a technical definition too. A true neutral is achromatic gray, white and black. Why - As soon as any degree of hue is detected (visually or measured) then it's a chromatic gray. As more hue is discerned, it's muted. Chromatic Grays and Muted colors are Near Neutrals.. . . because they are literally nearer to a true neutral. Color Mixing Theory - the color mixing approach to neutral is completely divorced from human color perception. Instead, neutral is defined by the color formula and the balance of tints in the mixture. Why - The theory is any color can be a neutral if there are equal amounts of each tint in the formula. This is the most useless definition of neutral of all because individual tints affect and change each other as they're blended to create a single color; the characteristics of the individual tints and the base in which they're mixed are blended away into oblivion and you're left with a final result - a single color. A single color with a definitive wavelength, frequency, fingerprint, DNA. So, when you end up with a single, final result that can be efficiently assessed by the 3 dimensions of human color perception, hue/value/chroma, why bother with the minor points of chemistry? Unless your job is to make/mix the color, there's absolutely no reason to get wrapped up in the minutia of tints and bases. Experiential - some people use the word neutral much like they use the word undertone; a big umbrella to cover a wide range of color, pattern and texture perception. Why - Using neutral and undertone to articulate a visual experience is the best some people can do. With color in particular, the more you know how it works, the more clearly you're able to communicate what you see. For example, once you understand that every color (including whites, muted colors, and chromatic grays) belongs to a hue family, you don't have to default to abstract notions of neutral and undertones. Instead you have a refined vocabulary of color terms to pull from so you can communicate color clearly.
    ...See More
  • divamum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

whoops! As I was saying...

So, every time I have a panic attack (and nothing I have ever done - including getting married, giving birth, and singing in front of 30,000 people - has ever given me such angst as this remodel) I just think about what we've "bought". It hasn't been "home improvement" as much as "life improvement". It really HAS been that significant, and in the light of that, a less-than-perfect counterop seam, a tile border that isn't quite what I had imagined, "boring" white appliances and slight gradations of maple coloration seem to be pretty trivial, really. As far as living our lives in this home is concerned, it's been an unqualified success for us.

:)

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

The couple we visited a couple weekends ago did not know about full extension drawers, Blum glides, and most of the "stuff" we on GW have added to our cabinets/kitchens. They depended on the builder to put in whatever he thought was best for them. Perhaps the owners of the house in question depended on the "experts" i.e. builders to tell them?

Let's face facts. For most of us here, if we didn't have access to GW, our kitchens/homes would be totally different.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Fashion -- tres chic, red sole, will be destroyed if you step in a puddle, scuffs easily, mars instantly, can't run far, can't stand for hours, can't wear next year :) for $610:

Function -- waterproof, insulated, comfortable, good traction, excellent comfort on concrete, resists abrasions, marks and chemicals for $156:

{{gwi:1574109}}

Dear heavens!!!! I do believe I've just advocated a kitchen comparable to Aerosoles!!!! NAY!!! NAY, I say!! No compromises! I want it all! I want a kitchen that performs like a Red Wing boot and looks like a Christian Louboutin pump. YIKES! (She says, hanging her head, and admitting a penchant for Birkenstocks, which are ugly, out of style, and comfy but not otherwise practical--just like my old kitchen. Sigh. When the kitchen is done do I have to start wearing my pretty shoes?)

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

So many thoughtful posts. When I was in the planning stage, two of my sisters were quite outspoken about the fact that I was remodeling a kitchen in a home that was only 8 years old, with appliances that were less than two years old. I guess it does sound a little wasteful, but at the time the house was built, I had no interest in cooking, and would, in fact, have been perfectly happy to have omitted a kitchen from the floorplan. The kitchen that I ended up with was builder grade all the way, and a really bad layout to boot. It didn't look all that bad, but it had faults like an OTR microwave (not knocking those of you who have them--just didn't work for me), a cheap range stuck in a corner, and a dishwasher that sounded like a freight train coming through.

A few years later, I discovered that I enjoy cooking and baking. We upgraded the appliances, thinking that would make a difference, but it was like putting a pig in a prom dress. All it did was look better. Function was still just as bad, and felt even worse because now it mattered to me. We decided that, since we're here for the long term, we would go for a total remodel. We sold the appliances to my MIL, ripped out everything but the tile floor, and ended up with a whole new kitchen.

There were, and occasionally still are, moments when I question the soundness of the decision from a financial aspect. However, I walk in that kitchen every morning, and smile. I love working in that room, and, corny as it sounds, it has truly made a difference in my life. It means a lot to me that my husband gave me the gift of a new kitchen, both in the money he earned for it and the hours he spent on the DIY parts, and, nearly two years later, I still (okay, here's the really corny part) get tears in my eyes and have to stop to give him a hug of thanks sometimes when I'm cooking dinner.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

I've been in my home since 1994. when we moved in I had no idea that my kitchen was so dysfunctional. It's taken me all these years to figure out what exactly were the bad parts and what needed to be fixed.

So sometimes I think when new houses are built and people need to make decisions without ever having lived in a space it has to be very hard, and often the kitchen just becomes a totally non-functional space because you don't really know what you need until you've been there. So I can completely see why people quickly remodel new spaces.

• divamum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pllog, your entry gets my vote as Best Post Ever - I am laughing so hard (all the while thinking, "She is so right!") SHOOOOEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! The perfect analogy.

I guess most of us remodel because we're dealing with worn out Payless Shoe Source, and wind up with Aerosoles or Naturalizers (even if we splurge and buy them Bruno Magli buckles and charms to fulfil our need for sexy bling)

:)

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

what sort of kitchen would $2.00 Old Navy flip flops be? Because if the kitchen represents my footware, that's what I should have gotten. rofl.

• holligator
    16 years ago

OK, this shoe analogy is really bothering me, because it's hitting a little too close to home! :)

My DH thinks I'm nuts for the amount of money I spend on shoes. The problem isn't that it's a lot of money. The problem is that the shoes are ugly. Well, maybe not ugly, but certainly not stylish.

Probably my favorite shoes are a pair of well broken-in, very casual, really ugly, flat, black Mephisto slides. They aren't quite Aerosole ugly, but they're close. They cost about $400, which is insane, if you ask me, especially for casual shoes. But they are sooooooo comfortable, they do look decent enough that I can wear then outside my house, and they will never wear out!

I guess I really am a function-first kind of gal, and like I said before, I really do appreciate quality. Fashion (obviously!) comes way down the list for me. Am I going to end up with an ugly, casual, flat, black, well broken-in Mephisto kitchen?! Yikes!! Wait a minute! I kind of like the sound of that. :)

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

If there were ever a shoe that perfectly illustrates function over fashion, holligator, Mephisto would have to be it. I call mine my ugly shoes, but on a trip to NYC, I was the only one in the group that didn't have aching feet after a few hours of sightseeing.

Function first is a great way to live, whether its shoes or kitchens. My kitchen layout is a little unorthodox with a lineup of refrigerator, ovens, dishwasher, and sink right in a row, and the cooktop on the other leg of the L, but it works beautifully with my island within reach of all of them. Very little movement is required, no matter what I'm doing, and, on the rare occasion that I have a second cook, the island is wide enough that he or she can work from the other side. I'm so glad I didn't listen to three different cabinet stores who wanted me to do an island cooktop with a refrigerator at one end of the L, and ovens at the other. It would have looked more like a lot of other kitchens out there, but it wouldn't have worked nearly as well for me.

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

I apologize. I didn't see your reply about your countertops until just now. Glass countertops are definitely one of those things that would be for show and not for use. I'd have cracks and chips within days, and just wouldn't enjoy the cooking experience at all if I had to be worried about a surface like that. The glass sure does look nice in the pictures, though.

Again, I agree with cocontom. If Amtico is what you want, get it. I like it. Coco is also right about laminate. It's come a long way, and there are some really nice choices available now.

I'm sure whatever you choose will turn out great. You're off to a really good start with those ultra-cool cabinets.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

the thing though is that Mephisto is actually like having a big "ugly" range. One that belongs in a hard working kitchen. They are glamorous but we all like them because we know they do the job. And even though they're not quite attractive we all know they cost a fortune so we see the value in them.

anyone who knows Mephisto looks beyond the looks of the shoes and says "ahhhh....expensive!"

or maybe I'm just a snob??? lol.

(I'm not a shoe girl but I'm a purse girl...)

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

plllog, I LOVE your post. I say this having spent 3 hours at the Napoleon show at the MFA in Boston yesterday in a pair of Tod's with 4" heels. How's that for an analogy??? :-) I'm afraid I might end up with the smart kitchen which is best looked at from across the room with a wine glass and petit fours (purchased of course).

Anyhow, it doesn't often happen but I disagree very strongly with Sweeby's post listing what I understand as separating fashion from function:
    And of these six 'dream' kitchens:
    - ONE had a really good work flow,
    - NONE had a prep sink,
    - NONE had two dishwashers or dish drawers, and
    - NONE had a warming drawer near the cooktop.

In my kitchen which I'll submit works very well not just for one cook but for two, I have one generous sized sink that two people can comfortably work at and have never missed a prep sink. I considered it but couldn't see the purpose in losing counter space and worse yet! cabinet storage space in a smaller (although large to me) kitchen where fridge, work space and stove are in easy reach of the sink. & When I was considering a second sink it was really more a bar sink since by the wine glasses and service area than a prep sink. Given my finished kitchen, I'd still like one of these but I know I made the right choice not to have a second sink in my kitchen and while I'd love a bar area one, I can firmly say I wouldn't want it in the kitchen proper and I can't see where in my house I would want to allocate space for a bar sink. But a prep sink? If you have a smaller to mid-sized kitchen, a good sized main sink with useable work area on either side of it, I don't think you need a prep sink. In a large kitchen such as Sweeby's, sure I can see the purpose.

TWO DISHWASHERS? Never! - in fact, I'll submit that if I felt the need for 2 dishwashers that I'd have to take a big step back mentally because I'd think I'd fallen for the fashionable concept of maximizing realestate than designing with function in mind. It is preposterous to me that having 2 DW's defines that you've considered function at all, let alone favoured it over fashion. I used to have a warming drawer right under the cooktop. It used to house my cooking utensils :-). While I don't dispute the value of a good warming drawer, I don't think it is a must. I now have a cooktop with a very good simmer (Wolf cooktop 300btu simmers on the small burners and 600 on the larger ones). I even keep custards and whitesauce dishes warm on here. :-) While I'll confess that if it hadn't meant giving up storage that I didn't want to give up, that I might have gone for a warming drawer, it would have been by my oven to keep my oven baked dishes warm rather than my cooktop ones which do wonderfully on the simmer IF I need it at all.

• homersgarden
    16 years ago

I enjoy reading this because this is what I struggle with. I have lived with my kitchen for two years now and I have discovered what I like and what I don't like. I have oak cabinets and they were expensive when they were put in...some great custom features too. I feel so wasteful getting rid of them all together. I posted the "future fashion" post because I am so concerned about spending money and then in a year feeling it is outdated. I like to go with things that will have classic style and won't date a house. My furniture is all neutral and fairly non-descript for this reason. As I head into this kitchen remodel I know what I want and maybe I need to throw others expectations out so that I go with my gut. I have only so much money and there is the pool to sink money into, windows to replace and a kitchen. I would like some left to save too!
    My thought is I go as neutral as possible so that as trends change I can add things in to "update" my kitchen.

• sandsonik
    16 years ago

I've been thinking a lot about this topic of fashion vs functionality lately too. I'm convinced that grandmothers are spinning in their graves today, seeing what we're all doing to their houses, LOL. "You got rid of all the carpet? We thought we had finally made it when we could wake up in the morning and not feel a cold floor against our bare feet! It's so much easier to vacuum than to keep hardwood clean and dust free! Why would you want to replace the vinyl kitchen floor with real tile? Do you know what a pain it is to maintain grout? And stainless steel shows every fingerprint, not like our avocado refrigerator!"

It does seem kind of ironic that in a lot of areas we've moved back to products used before our parents or grandparents, and products that generally require more maintenance, not less - in a time where it's pretty much guaranteed that every household has two working parents.

I fully expect that the cycles will spin again. Who knows, maybe even that 70s panelling will come into style again - no smudges or painting to worry about!

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

sandsonik, personally, I think that vinyl is MORE work, not less. I used to find that vinyl would both scratch and get scuff marks that I used to have to scrub and scrub and scrub to not-quite-eliminate. Tile grout can be protected with sealer (which won't of course completely eliminate dirtied up grout by itself) and I find that vacuuming the tile rather than sweeping it does a much better and cleaner job of cleaning up the brown-making grout lines. I do sweep often during the week but once a week I do the kitchen and bathroom tiles with my VC (and its tile cleaner attachment).

Also, use a good vacuum cleaner on hardwood with a hardwood bristle (I have a Miele with the separate hardwood brush attachment) and it actually buffs the floors as it cleans. My floors are clean and shiny - shinier now than when I bought the house. I used to live in rentals which all had carpet and I can say without a shadow of doubt that hardwood and tile are easier to clean than carpet. BUT you need a good VC.

• divamum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's interesting - I find the designer clothing analogies more and more appropriate, really, and it's helped me to clarify my own thinking as I realise that my opinion regarding kitchens is no different than my opinion on most other material goods.

I love beautiful things. I love luxury fabrics, clever designs, fine leathers, good food and elegant surroundings.

However, 1. I do not have the kind of income to indulge in the elegant luxuries I often admire and 2. I LOATHE conspicuous consumption, where it's clear that money has been spent only BECAUSE it was "expensive" and not because it served any function or had any particular aesthetic appeal.

So, where does this lead me? I eschew things which have zero (or limited) function and exist ONLY to have the "designer" label (similarly, things which are actually quite ordinary, but which cost the earth ONLY because they have the designer label). And for the luxuries I do want, I seek them out in sales and at significant discount. For instance, as a singer, I require a lot of evening clothes, and I like the good stuff. Can I afford it?! Not a chance. But I can go to the Saks and Nieman outlets, wait for the last-ditch-clearance-rack sales, get lucky finding high-end stuff in unlikely places (it's always worth a look, right?) and generally keep my eyes open.

Now, as I said before, this only really is possible when one has time - when I've been really busy, there's no doubt I've spent more because I've had less time to do the "seeking out" part of this equation. But, even then, I find it very difficult to pay an overpriced top dollar.

Granted, this is all very personal - one person's "elegant" is another's "conservative and boring" and somebody's "cutting edge design" is another's "Gawdalmighty how do they live with THAT?!", so I accept that it's terribly personal and choice is what makes the world go round.

One final point: a lot of these "must-haves" that are creeping into kitchen design aren't really "necessary" at all, as mindstorm so eloquently demonstrates. Useful, perhaps - but maybe not for everybody, and maybe not so useful as to be indispensible. I think it's very easy to get into "zOMG 'everybody' has one of these so it MUST be required now!" (especially if a KD is pushing for something) mentality and not REALLY asses whether we need it for ourselves; I think this is where the tight(er) budget really focuses the mind since you can't always just give an extra a nod.

Goodness me but I'm Rambly McRambleton on this subject aren't I!?

(PS Oh, and btw, I have a pair of Mephistos which are black patent leather moc-croc - comfort AND a bit of bling!! :)

• holligator
    16 years ago

OK, as I was reading the latest follow-ups on this, I had to laugh so much I snorted. Right now, I'm wearing my other most favorite shoe in the world...my Cole Haan fisherman's sandals (I get to wear sandals in January because I live in Florida). Not terribly expensive, because I bought them on sale, but OH SO comfortable and not at all fashionable. Well, maybe they were fashionable for five minutes in 1997. Well, I loved these so much, when I found out they were being discontinued, I had the guy at the store do a nationwide search and I bought nine pairs. I have said that I now have enough to last a lifetime and will probably be buried in these sandals.

What made me snort is that when we were shopping for appliances and settled on a fridge, my husband said it was so big that he wanted to be buried in it.

Are we morbid or just really, really functional people?? :)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Mindstorm wrote:

Anyhow, it doesn't often happen but I disagree very strongly with Sweeby's post listing what I understand as separating fashion from function:

And of these six 'dream' kitchens:
    - ONE had a really good work flow,
    - NONE had a prep sink,
    - NONE had two dishwashers or dish drawers, and
    - NONE had a warming drawer near the cooktop.

That's a good point -- These items are certainly not necessary to have a functional kitchen. But these kitchens were supposed to be ULTIMATE kitchens in homes that sell for 10 times the average home price for our city.

And to think that only one of those kitchens had a decent work flow! But two or three of the others would have had a good work flow if they had put prep sinks into the islands instead of requiring the cook to walk all the way around the kitchen to get from the fridge to the sink to the range. And while you certainly can't say two DW's are necessary, it would be a much-appreciated luxury in a home where lavish large-scale entertaining is done regularly.

My point was simply that all of the money was spent on visible kitchen bling instead of functional kitchen luxury.
    Guess my kitchen won't resale well??
    But then, it enriches my life every single day. I can't count how often I've said to my husband (who built it) or my mom how much I love my kitchen.

• mollyred
    16 years ago

Have you gals actually LOOKED at Aerosoles recently? I've got a gorgeous pair of dark red, high-heeled, ankle-strapped Aerosoles "FM" pumps that I can actually wear all day! Plus several other pairs that never fail to get me compliments from women young enough to be my daughters. No stiletto heels, but with weak ankles I could never ice-skate either. (LOL!)

plllog - wonderful post!

Reasons for 2 DW's: keeping kosher, entertaining, or 2+ children. Not that I have 2 DW's, but I can see the point. It's all about what kind of life you live, and how the kitchen will serve it.

Put me in the "functional" category. I enjoy the pretty appearance of my almost-done kitchen, but treasure the functionality. Now DH and I can stand in one spot and load the dishwasher from the cleanup sink or unload the clean silver, leftover containers and dishes into the storage cabinets/drawers. DH can grab a snack from the fridge and warm it in one microwave while I'm defrosting something in the other. Best of all, I can work in one continuous flow to the right from prep sink to 42" of counter space to cooktop and have my utensils, spices, pans, small appliances and a spare trash can all in front of me, within a step or 2.

Widening the focus a little, I wouldn't want the kitchen that launched this thread, but more because of the layout than any other reason. The tile border boo-boo would bother me too, and the apple hardware (where do you even find something like that?!) doesn't charm me in the way that it apparently did the owners. I don't see anything wrong in having a laugh at it, though. If the owners can't laugh at themselves, they don't deserve applie pulls!

Just for a moment, let's remember that something like half the world don't have running water in their kitchens and be grateful right now for our immense good fortune, and laugh at our preoccupations before returning to them.

80's big hair? Oh please children - 60's raccoon eyeliner, white lipstick, ironed hair, and the joy of the pre-pantyhose days: making the ends meet between the bottom of your miniskirt and the top of your garter-belted stockings, while getting into and out of an all-in-one desk chair in junior high!

• amanda_t
    16 years ago

Fudge. Am I the only person who missed the "original" thread? Because the linky no worky. I'm curious about the kitchen with the apple pulls that sparked such interesting convo....

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

oh Molly....you're dating yourself lol....

I think there always will be people who buy things just because of the name. Hell, I am one of them. I have a serious Coach purse addiction and yes, I only buy them because they say coach and I like the feeling of knowing that I have something nice. I do not buy jewelry and my mom will sit and harp that I spent $400 on a purse but she says that while wearing a $400 necklace. Someone else has a $1000 faucet (I don't even know what those are because I am TKO but not TFO -totally faucet obsessed) but the fact is that the $1000 faucet probably doesn't perform better than the $200 faucet. And the $2000 robern medicine cabinets don't make me look 15 years younger. But it's ok. Some people like to say "well it's a robern" or "its a coach" or "its a wolfe" And that's ok. The same as people who buy "The North Face" clothing, or "Polo". All these items are status symbols and people like to show them off. There are very few people in the world who honestly don't buy into those labels. I give them credit. And again, as long as you see it for what it is, then hey, who's to say how you spend your money.

But like Molly said, it's good to know how fortunate we are as a society as a whole. Even those of us doing kitchens on a tight budget are far better off than many in this country. Even apple lady (and hell, I just ditched a kitchen full of apple stuff, I should send it to her) has more than most people. So if you can laugh at ourselves and our consumption (even if consumption is buying apple drawer pulls) then we're in tough shape.

They are only kitchens after all. No matter how nice, or how expensive, they won't fix our lives.

• cate1337
    16 years ago

Great shoe analogy!

I can't resist asking: I'm curious about when the TKOers relax and let someone else make the decisions. I've found, since I've had children, that I just am not capable of controlling everything that I want to control or of making personal decisions about every detail. I just don't have that much energy. I'm trusting my contractor to find good solutions. I'm trusting the electricians to choose good, reasonably priced lights. I'm trusting my plumber when he says I really ought to replace the drainpipes and garbage disposal now. I'm trusting my child's pulmonologists when they prescribe four daily asthma medications. I'm even *gasp* trusting my mechanic.

We get regular messages from family, the media, and this board that we need to check every detail. I don't have time in this life to learn everyone else's job well enough to make every decision, and I don't want to slide into that mindset. When I do, I start expecting to be cheated; and I don't enjoy my days. I'm not saying I don't try to be informed and understand what's happening; rather, I'm making a conscious decision to have some faith.

I wonder if, in the kitchen from the previous thread, the owners trusted their experts? Some functionality may have been better as a result; some - like the heated trash - may have been worse.

As for 80's fashion: I tried the Ogilvee perm and had those horrible jeans that were so skinny there were zippers at the ankles. Let's just say the perm made me look pretty special.

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

From the other thread, I can tell you with certainty that there were no experts involved. Not even an architect.

As for the apple knobs, all I'm going to say is apple resin handle Vicki Anderson. Google away.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Thanks, all, for sharing my shoe laugh with me :)

Yes, if you must have a red sole on your fuchsia shoes, you can, but it sure does clash! Talking about buying something for the name and trend rather than using sense :)

Buffettgirl, we're in trouble if our kitchens are supposed to match our favored footwear! I do not want a Birkenstock kitchen :) I really don't want a red sole Louboutin type kitchen either :) Too trendy, even if they're pretty. And I don't want the iffy quality that my lovely, comfy, 4" bronze baby dolls have either :)

Mollyred, You've pointed out exactly what I meant about the Aerosoles: They're much vaunted for their comfort, and have many good looking styles, though they're not at the forefront of fashion. I just hope creating the (mostly) perfect kitchen isn't as hard as finding a perfect pair of shoes :)

I agree we're all very lucky to have problems like choosing cabinets. But I think the reason we obsess and the reason we're TKO is that no matter the budget we're spending significant chunks of our resources on these kitchens, and while they won't, as Buffettgirl says, "fix our lives", they do have the potential to significantly improve them as Divamum and others have attested. And unlike shoes, we can't just cast them aside if they don't fit right. It's not just buying something different (a big enough problem) but all the time and mess and stress and disruption that remodeling involves. I cooked great things in a truly tiny, rudimentary kitchen years back, but can I just tell you how much better it is to use a KA mixer than a fork and a pot to make cake batter?

But having decided that more modern finishes are more appropriate to the appliances I'm choosing, I now have to face that my original thought of porcelain tile countertops won't go. A fashion thing. A decision purely about style rather than function (I know others disagree but I find tile highly functional). So the shopping begins...

• jenellecal
    16 years ago

This is a great thread, I'm a flip flop kitchen gal, not quite Old Navy since I buy them at Nordstorm but they're still flip flops.

I'm struggling desperately to pick a countertop that I want. Society tells me it needs to be a solid surface, esp. granite. Budget and DH tell me no way. I actually like the look of ceramic tile and grout lines (GASP yes I like grout lines). I currently have the original tile in my 1962 ranch house and it's in great shape (except where I broke it banging the hardwood cutting board against the sink edge repeatedly but that's another story). DH changed the grout to charcoal gray about 10 years ago and I've never had a problem. Same with the grout in the shower, it's original and white and it looks really good still (the rest of the bathroom is deplorable but grout is good).

Solid surface is so popular these days that's it hard to find ceramic tile with all the trim pieces (grr).

I do have 2 dishwashers hehehe, the rest of the new kitchen is (will be) a very small, very functional kitchen for me, it's a J shaped kitchen and designed just for me. No one really needs to be inmy kitchen. The pantry is outside of my triangle and the fridge on the outside edge of it so the family can get to snacks without being in my way (glory, glory, hallelujah) I've been in the most dysfunctional kitchen forever. It's a really weird galley kitchen with about 8 feet between the sink wall and stove wall with a HUGE oak table in the middle of it. I always have to skirt around the table to get anything and if more than one person is in the kitchen then we end up ring around the rosy-ing the table. The cabinets were all builders grade plywood, made in place and in terrible condition. The vinyl floor was original (gone now).

Anyway this is a very timely thread that frees me to use my oak cabinets and tile counters (jk on the oak cabinets, they're maple). We have discussed using oak on the bar top though and both of us really like it.

• robin_d
    16 years ago

Fascinating thread!

I live in Red Wing boots and Crocs, which go oh-so-well with my thorn torn gardening duds (I work from home). Is it any surprise that I chose oak cabs for my new kitchen? :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Eventually Almost Mostly Finished Budget Craftsman Kitchen

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

I should clarify - (I need an edit function) My sentence should ahve read "So if we can't laugh at ourselves and our consumption (even if consumption is buying apple drawer pulls) then we're in tough shape."

I see no problem at all with being TKO. I'm here after all ROFL. And plllog is correct - even the budget minded here are spending huge chunks of money. But it all needs to be in perspective. What I meant when I said it wouldn't change our lives is not that it can't change the quality of our lives, sure it can. If my new kitchen allows me to entertain more and I enjoy that, then it does change the quality of my life. But sometimes when I talk to other people it almost sounds like the new kitchen or the new house or the new addition (or the new shoes or purse etc) is going to fix all their problems. "If only I got this new kitchen then I could cook meals every night and DH wouldn't go out so much." A kitchen isn't going to fix that.

for Cate - some of us LIKE being involved though and feel that it's our job to be involved since it's our money. I would no sooner let my electrician pick out my lights as I would let my gynecologist pick out my underwear. Yes, I trust that the electrician knows if I need this wire here or that wire there. That's his job. But the other stuff, the decorative stuff, that's the fun part. When my GC said the other day "here's the decision - do you want your half wall this high or this high?" I like to think what would work for me and then decide. I don't want him to put in a half wall that doesn't meet my needs. It's his job to build it, it's my job to know what I want and need.

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

robin d, I've admired your kitchen since the first time I saw pictures of it. It's so warm and inviting. The cabinets are wonderful with your woodwork. What a nice blend of style and function!

• sandsonik
    16 years ago

LOL, mindstorm the "comments" in my post weren't necessarily my opinions. I love, love, love tile, for instance. I was just commenting on how styles change, and many of the things that previous generations viewed as improvements we've abandoned in order to go a generation back!

Like carpeting...when I was buying my house, any house that an elderly person was selling had wall to wall carpet covering the hardwoods. These days, everyone wants hardwoods, but you can bet it was probably a proud moment in those people's lives when they installed the plush, warm wall to wall - you know? And my grandma was really, really proud of the linoleum (that held up like a rock, I must admit) she put in when she built her house in the 50s. "That's not the cheap stuff," she would say. "The color goes through to the other side." I always wondered what useful purpose that served unless you planned to flip it over, LOL!

So, when I watch HGTV or redecorate my own house, I can't help think of some previous owner spinning in their grave at our decisions. No doubt the things we consider the height of style or function will be just as laughable to our grandchildren.

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

The plant analogies are good for me because nobody should make whatI do and spend so much on shoes!

The perennials comment above (and really, nothing personal) would illustrate my thought that function and fashion are somewhat is the eye of the beholder. Autum Joy is a bummer in my yard (becomes completely flattened before blooming by rain and four footed life). Altho its a good plant, it doesn't function for me.

It's something to think about - that the optimum function for you may not be the same as the common wisdom of this site (or any other). I think we all try to help with fashion or function or both, but we sometimes forget that what works for us may not work for a different person.

Perversely, I love show homes. The kitchens are usually terrible and make me feel fortunate to have put in the effort to make a kitchen that works for me - even if it only cost as much as their flooring!

• emmie9999
    16 years ago

Well, first, I want to thank divamum for the kind words at the beginning, and for breaking off this thread, it's a great discussion!

Mari brought up a really good point earlier: if it wasn't for GW and the internet, would any of us really have kitchens that are so functional? (We certainly would not have this conversation without it...)

It's also interesting to think that what we consider to be fashionable OR functional may have already gone in and out of fashion before...my parents, in their first home, put in a stainless cooktop and wall ovens, only to remove the same in their next home and put in a brown 2 oven range. (It was a Crown something...Johnny Carson owned one!)

I love the idea of bling, and I am all about having what you want. However, if I am spending my money, I want it to be for something. It does amaze me at times to see a kitchen in a multi-million dollar home that is impossible to cook in. It may look gorgeous, and have all sorts of pretty cabinets and handles and a gorgeous range, but what is the point if it doesn't work?

SOmetimes it comes down to editing yourself a bit...I saw things about LaCanche ranges, and BlueStar, and Agas, and I lusted after them. I craved them. I stil do. However, if I bought one I would have my old fridge and my old microwave still, (neither of which worked very well) laminate countertops (which are lovely if you wanted but while I was appliance drooling I was soapstone salivating, so...) and laminate floors (my husband was craving hardwood) and probably a smaller window, no breakfast bar, and no half bathroom addition. All for a gorgeous showpiece that I would have never used enough to justify it's purchase. I got a Bosch; it's lovely and it's useful and I am happy, and I have a half bath, soapstone and hardwood. The function of the appliance may be superior to what I have, but it's function in my life did not work.

BTW, I have 9.5 AA feet, so the show thing doesn't matter to me...my mother told me "marry rich, you ahve welathy feet", but I didn't quite do that so I have Jimmy Choo/Ferragama taste, feet that only fit into Naturalizers, and a Payless budget! (Kinda like my kitchen, hee!)

Keep up the discussion, this is really interesting stuff!

Emmie

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Wow you gals are waaayyy deep. I would love to post on this but I am reading it very late and have to get up and go to work tomorrow morning. What kind of kitchen goes with Born clogs and knee high boots. THose are my favorites. Okay the clogs for comfort and the boots for sass. This thread is great.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

That would be a pretty funny thread - footwear picture matched up with a kitchen picture ROFL.

• holligator
    16 years ago

That would be a pretty funny thread - footwear picture matched up with a kitchen picture ROFL.

Hmmm...

Maybe it would be better if I waited for my finished kitchen pics. :)

I tried to find a pic of my Mephistos, but apparently, they were so ugly that Mephisto destroyed all photographic evidence of their existence.

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

Holligator, you know there's something awfully similar about those floor tiles and the sandal straps. Hmmm.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

rofl...I was thinking the exact same thing!

my flipflops suggest a kitchen with a sand floor and tiki roof on a beach. Alas....I'm a dreamer...

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

Obviously not my REAL footwear, but what you'll find on my feet around the house these snowy days when I'm not going anywhere that I don't absolutely have to go. Almost got a camouflage thing going, huh?

• divamum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Emmie, you're singing my song - I used to be a 10.5 AA (which was nightmarish); after having my daughter my feet went up to an 11m which is still bad, although a slightly more standard non-standard size! But, the resulting "hunt for shoes" combined with my innate diva tendencies means I'm a complete shoeslut. I certainly HOPE my obsession doesn't extend to kitchens, or we'll be remodeling forever!

That said (can you believe this thread has turned into Shoeholics anonymous? I'm lmao every time I open it up! Hmm... somebody's phd: "The stylistic implications of shoes on kitchen design 1995-2010" BWAH!), I find myself divided between the need for comfort and weird-size/shape feet:

{{gwi:1574117}}

And that for which my divasoul longs:

::cough:: Kitchens. Yes, we were talking about kitchens. Warming drawers. Prep sinks. Faucets.

Ok, just to keep it closer to topic:

function:
    {{gwi:1574121}}

Fashion:

• divamum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that sink is studded with real jewels and costs $24k!!
    http://www.trendir.com/archives/000206.html

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

Divamum, if you bought that, you'd never have to face the embarrassment of walking in someone else's powder room and finding they had a sink just like yours. And when you got tired of the sink, you could just have it turned into some new jewelry, especially if you got a gold faucet to go with it. Sounds like a good investment to me! : ) Maybe I'll get one, right after I pay off my car that cost just about the same price.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

that sink reminds me of this bra:
    http://www.victoriassecret.com/fantasy1021/fantasy_bra/

but since I"m not a shoe fanantic but am a purse fanantic this is what my kitchen is matching.. freaky isn't it???

{{gwi:1574125}}

• divamum
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have to add I do not, er (putting it delicately in case it is somebody's dream) like that sink. At all. (That kind of froufrou is sooo not my style, and that one in particular falls into my categtory of neither particularly aesthetic NOR functional, and only "valuable" because of the high price! I mean, what happens if one of the jewels goes down the drain? Or you chip it? Heck, just looking at those faucet handles makes me feel like I've wandered into some kind of weird alternate universe!).However, it just struck me as a good example to illustrate our point of "fashion" instead of utilitarian!!!!

I really must do a "shoe comp" on my kitchen when it's finished, although I fear I shall buck the trend - most of my shoes are black, I seldom wear browns (classic "Winter" colouring here) and my kitchen is all tones of caramels and golds. Hmm..... The exception that proves the rule!? The look isn't the same, but the theology is, since it IS a mixture of utilitarian and purrrrty :)

Goodness me but this makes me giggle, which is just what I need before starting a busy day!!

• cate1337
    16 years ago

lol, Buffetgirl, I think we're making the same point! I lost mine somewhat bc I came in here to type, went to look at the cans going in, came in here to type, tried to get my kids to share a toy, forgot where I was going... At any rate, thanks for helping me remember part of what I was thinking. The lights started out being decorative for me but ended up being functional. There's this weird swing between "ooh pretty I want it" to "I can't afford it, what's second best" to "let's just get what works and isn't a bare tube." The decorative element is definitely important to me, but I guess I end up far enough on the functional side of the spectrum that I do rely on what the pros are saying about each option. (Yesterday, when the electrcians came, I was surprised that they had 4" cans for the bar rather than the 3" cans I thought I was getting. No problem as far as I'm concerned - they explained that bulbs for the 4"ers are cheaper and easier to find, as is the housing of the can. So I am in control of my money, and am making what I consider decorative decisions, just not to the same precision as some.)

Re: the gynecologist - I would totally let her choose my underwear if she were putting me in a pair that took off two sizes, smoothed everything out, cost under $5, and made me look like some hot young thang.

But maybe we should stick to shoes!

Can anyone out there make a shoe test, like the Sweeby test, to figure out your Kitchen Fashifunctitude?

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

rofl Cate - yes I do see that we are going the same place now. LOL....its hard with typing to get the nuances of what we're trying to say.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

bmorepanic,

You might have Autumn Joy in the wrong place- (too much shade?). Mine never reaches 4 feet high. But, if you wanna keep it where it is, try pinching the new growth when it's about 8-10' high- that might keep it more manageable.(And you can always use a plant ring- I finally broke down and bought several from Lee Valley that are like a grid supported by green plastic covered wires. Put them in place before growth is too high and let plant grow through grid. No more flopping!)

And part of growing the right perennial is putting it in the right place- which is why my customers really appreciate my input, and most of my business is either repeat or referral. It's totally blown me away that I seem to care more about my $10 sales, than my suppliers have for many many thousands of $$$. Our windows took 6 months to finally all get installed correctly- we were offered no discount or recompense for the delay and hassles (long story- won't go into it here). Not that I would EVER delay an order by six months, but even if I'm a week or two behind (I sell seeds online), I always include bonus packs.

And to carry the Autumn Joy analogy further- in your garden it doesn't work, in mine it looks good 8-10 months of the year- a definite winner. Lots of people love their marble, though I love the look, I KNOW I could not stand the extra care needed and that I would be bothered by marks, stains, etc. So, because it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it's not an appropriate choice for someone else. BUT, this is where it behooves the supplier to inform the client- it bugs me to no end how much research is required for every single item. It certainly is a Buyer Beware atmosphere out there- some have lucked out in getting really good GCs, but for many, and for those of us DIY, it's a huge ordeal to have to investigate the pros and cons of EVERYTHING. (Sorry for the OT rant- I'm just so tired of all the work)

Anyhow, had to go check my favorite shoes- I kid you not- they are called "FUNCTION'by Solidus. Well, I thought that was the name, cuz that's on the sole- but I think that may be their motto. Here's a pic- Have worn them to two weddings- didn't mind the lack of fashion as I danced well into the night at both of them.

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

Function can be bought for about $10000 in a kitchen (IKEA, prefab granite, ebay the rest).

Fashion can be bought for .. um... $$$$$$$.

In the modern world, function is a given, is default, everyone can afford it.

Fashion is what makes it interesting, unique, exciting, extravagant, and keeps the economy going :)

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Pharoah, I totally disagree with you here. In my opinion, if planning is about meeting project FUNCTIONAL requirements, *that* is where the bulk of the time, energy, effort, AND a hefty block of the budget goes. I can speak for the amount of time I spent on my kitchen and bathroom layouts and the amount of $$$ I shelled out to the architect and designers for the space and function planning - NOT THE BLING! - and I can tell you that it didn't come cheap. Planning the functional elements may have been a big yawn to all concerned but it is what kept me awake at night (interesting beyond measure), required loads of heads (unique?), and at multiple tens of K not exactly thrifty even if not wildly extravagant.

Actually, my takeaway from our project was that planning and labour are so much of the moolah, that it seems ridiculous to sweat the few hundreds or thousands of dollars that is basic vs. bling when every time a tradesman walks into your house, it is 10K to you. :-)

• plllog
    16 years ago

Pharoah, you're right that a basically functional kitchen can be had for a moderate amount of money. But so can a fashionable one (e.g., your prefab granite--granite is a fashion item).

But there's a difference between fashion and style. Fashion is what is currently popular and which will tell the tale of its time. Fashion colors in the '60's started as pastels and went psychedelic, in the '70's they were "natural" earth tones and colors taken from nature, in the '80's they were club colors like neons, metalics, and jewel tones, in the '90's there were a lot of classic colors (primaries and neutrals) and tropicals (especially teal), in between all the black, black as night, black as coal, the sun blotted out of the sky black. This current decade is pale cool colors, especially sage and sky, candy colors, and supersaturated primaries and secondaries, like hypercrayons.

Style is knowing you look good in coral and planning your wardrobe/home around it no matter what the fashion is.

I plan to have a stylish kitchen, but it likely won't be particularly fashionable. But that's okay, because I don't intend to redo it. Ever.