SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

What NOT to wear (spin-off of Annie's thread)

tinam61
11 years ago

The responses to Annie's thread got me thinking - and also Red's admittance of her wardrobe items. LOL

Thinking of the 50-ish age woman (I'm trying to get an average here - know we have some older and a few younger), what are some of the no-no items for a wardrobe?

1. Mom jeans

2. Elastic waist

3. Knit pants - meaning plain old knit, elastic waist pants (yoga pants are great!)

4. Sweats

5. Baggy clothing

Just a few of my choices. This should be fun, let's hear your thoughts.

Comments (122)

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

this thread is cracking me up. I am getting up the nerve to get my first tattoo at 43. Oh no! :) I sort of know what I want but I need to figure out if I am going really simple or with some kind of embellishment. I think that the worst "rule" I break is wearing baggy too big clothes. I know it looks super frumpy and I have to work on that. :) Oh and too much black probably.

Oh and I have long hair :) I guess I break more rules than I thought!

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

No, no, no. Those leggings/jeggings are definitely not meant to be worn without something covering the bum portion of the body! This is the type of outfit that I just love, and I think it's stylish / on trend without being inappropriate - even for a middle-aged woman. (Yes, I've even been known to paint my short nails black. ;-))

{{gwi:1500865}}

• Related Discussions

Spin-off of the teen girl/weight/eating thread . . .

Q

Comments (32)
    It sounds to me that your husband's comment was less about YOU and more about how to get the most out of your exercising. I say that because he suggested P90x, which is the dvd set that is often thought to be the "gold" standard that gets excellent results (or in your husband's words, whistle inducing results). You responded that you were too old for the whistles, and your husband basically said that age doesn't matter if the body is "perfect." Maybe it was his use of perfect that offended, but I would take his comments more just to mean that if you are serious about exercising, why waste your time on the lesser exercise systems--and instead just go for the gold.
    ...See More

Spin Off of the Enjoying Life Thread

Q

Comments (15)
    "So, do you think there is any choice on how happy of a person you are? If so, how much is choice, and how much is the cards we are dealt?" I think that you are considering two separate aspects of life. One is your outlook/disposition, how you view life, how you interact with society. The other is the overall sense of living a "happy life". How a person presents themselves to others and how they deal with daily lifeÂs challenges is certainly a choice, but it is also a learned skill. I believe that a child is born with a predetermined disposition. (Some folks are happy all the time and others grumpy, many are neutral) A child learns how to deal with success, disappointment and challenges as they grow. An adult that is more self aware can choose how to react to situations. "Am I going to let other peoples negative actions bother me, or let it roll off and move on?" Is having a positive or negative demeanor and outlook helping me or hindering me in acquiring my goals? Our environment can also affect how we feel and cope. If we have a negative individual that we must deal with daily, then we must decide if we will accept that negativity into our lives (let it bother us) or if we will choose to let it roll off, avoid them, whatever. This can be really challenging when this person is someone you live or work with. Whether a person is living a "happy life" I think depends more upon the level of satisfaction that we attain regularly. If we are satisfied with what we have, what we have accomplished, do we set goals to improve our lot in life (being proactive), do we receive pleasure by helping other and so forth. Perhaps the question is "what factors help determine a happy life?"
    ...See More

A spin off from the peanut butter and crackers thread

Q

Comments (12)
    I got a bonus a couple of (actually, about four) years ago. I usually write a cheque once year for a local, somewhat family-related church, that I don't attend. When I visited the treasurer, several years ago, they had received a package of store-brand chocolates similar to Turtles for Christmas with salt on the outside. The lady didn't like them with the salt on them and gave them to me. Later, at a lunch following a funeral in that church, I told her and her husband that I'd enjoyed the chocolates, but wasn't enthusiastic about the salt, either ... but simply rubbed it off with my hand. I owe those folks one - got a box of biscuits later ... but didn't get it delivered till it was too old. Naughty ... lazy ... procrastinator! ole joyfuelled ... with a bit o' help from chocolate, on occasion
    ...See More

A spin off from the stack washer thread.

Q

Comments (17)
    Since my interest and query was primarily concerning CHEER Powder, I'll continue with that. Cynic's link: Buy Cheer from an Online Retailer. We don't sell Cheer directly on this site, but you can shop with confidence from our trusted online retail partners. Followed by: There are currently no online retailers available for this product. I have checked at several local stores, and haven't found any. Actually, I rarely shop at WalMart, but was there to pick up some film I had developed. I have emailed p&g and asked point blank if they have stopped making CHEER Powdered detergent. I have not received a reply. Something else I find interesting is that on each picture I see of a box of the powdered, the writing is in Spanish. I have found the best place to find the best deal is at Amazon. 80 loads–112 oz. $26.50, free shipping for orders over $35.00. CHEER and a couple pairs of socks. Can't beat that. Sue
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    11 years ago

I love the look of leggings with a top long enough to cover your derriere.

So if we aren't supposed to wear capris or cops, what do we wear in the hot weather? I think of them as long shorts, not short slacks. I really can't wear shorts and I would die of the heat in long pants in the summer around here. What's the alternative? I also look like hell in skirts.

And I don't like tattoos on anyone, but I realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I notice the new trend in celebrities is to have them removed.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

light weight cotton jersey dresses in summer are almost like wearing nothing at all...

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I don't really see how capri/crop pants are that much cooler than long pants of equal weight fabric. My calves and ankles rarely get hot, regardless of what I'm wearing, but my thighs? Yeah, that's where I feel warm. If you don't want to wear shorts, light weight pants would be a good option. Or if you are going to wear cropped pants make sure that they hit your leg in a flattering place. A while ago someone posted a site that showed 2 similar outfits, and one looked so much better than the other because of some simple tweaks - like where the pants hit the leg.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I second dresses. Wear them all summer.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Busy bee--this is the first time I have tried the ll bean. I usually get the Lands End. But lately they have been too short after washing. I am 5'6" and ordered regular length. Reviews said these are long, so I will let you know. If they are short they are going back.

Annie--OMG, another bust your gut funny visual. Conan looks pretty hot ;-)

Sunny Cottage--I like what you did with the outfit. Very cute. It would be awesome if we could get some of the more fashionably talented on the board to put together outfits like this for us here, based on our size and build, and height. I love that top, but I know I couldn't wear the pants or boots.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

For some reason capri do feel cooler than pants. Just getting air on the calf makes a difference.
    It's true, maybe i don't look good in them, and I think I am going to try for better fitting ones, but I am not going to stop wearing them.
    Although I love how dresses look on the next person, it is just not my lifestyle. Every time I get one, it sits in the closet until it goes out of style.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

sunny, super cute outfit, I love it all !

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Hey, red - thanks, but I can't take the credit for putting that together! I just pinned it to one of my boards on Pinterest, because I liked it. If you are a Pinterest user and just search on 'fashion' there, you will see some really cute montages like this one.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Short T-shirts. These always ride up when you lift up your hands to reach a shelf or lift your kid or bend down. I wish there were more options for longer well fitted t-shirts for women though. I like tailored capris with wedges. Better than bermudas or tight pants.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I end up buying capris because they are so ubiquitous, and then I shorten them to knee length which is much more flattering on me.

{{gwi:1500866}}

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

That was me that posted that site, I'd like to look at it again if I could find it!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

This blog gives fashion advice and today's post is about nude pantyhose.

You Look Fab

Another blog to check is Fabulous After 40

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Thanks hhireno...good sites!

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

I discovered these skorts from Athleta last summer. A friend of mine was wearing one and raved about it. Oh my - so comfortable and so versatile. It has a built in pair of shorts underneath but the length is great - not too short. It's very flattering. I can wear a t-shirt with it to make it casual or pair it with a nicer top for going out with friends for a fun night out. I have two different colors and every time I wear them I get compliments. I'm going to try some of their other skirt styles this summer. I also bought one of the cotton dresses but haven't worn it yet. It's a lightweight cotton and also very comfortable. I mostly have athletic gear from Athleta, but they have adorable summer clothes for women my age (mid 40s) that aren't too youthful. They also carry petites which is perfect for me b/c I'm only 5'3" and most pants/skirts/etc are too long if I buy the regular size.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I just got an Athleta catalog the other day. I will need to check it out. Generally, their stuff is pretty pricey, but like we said, if you want better quality, you have to pay.

Annie, I have some Bermuda shorts/capris that same length, and I agree they are very flattering. I bought one pair and then I ordered like three more.

I also like the outfit with the leggings. I would wear that but maybe not the boots. I generally don't wear heels.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

No too long hair... UNLESS your hair is very healthy, not over colored crispy or fake blond with black roots or over styled with too much product. Healthy understated long hair can look good at any age if it suits your face type. When I was in Italy a few yeas ago I saw a very beautiful woman in her late sixties (guessing) with long natural salt and pepper hair (heavier on the salt), her hair was healthy, pretty and suited her face and looked spectacular with the vibrate colored silk scarf she wore. Not everyone can pull it off but those who can look stunning.

I do not think older women look good if they wear wedge, platform shoes or heels higher than 2 to 2 1/4 inches. The exception would be if they were wearing an evening gown. Even then itâÂÂs iffy. Also stay away from open toes sandals if you have that thick hoof toenail thing going on.

Once in your fifties good fabrics are really a must. I do not think older women look particularly good in clingy manmade fabrics. Simple, understated and flowing over the body to hide and lumps to me looks best. Even if you donâÂÂt have lumps flow instead of cling is elegant.

Please no extra long fake finger nails.

Please no extra thick face foundation with drawn on black or dark brown eye brows it makes one look like Lilly Munster.

Most women shy away from sleeveless clothes when they get older. I take exception to this. You do have to draw the line somewhere and if youâÂÂre in 90 degree weather you do have the right to some comfort. ItâÂÂs only an arm!

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Gscience, I thought the same thing about their pricing, but then I realized that I'm willing to pay more for something I'm going to wear a lot. I'm generally a bargain shopper and love finding deals on clothes, especially. However, now that I'm older and have to worry more about the appropriate fit of clothing b/c my body is not what it was during my youth, it's harder to find things that fit well, so when I do find something, I'm more apt to buy it even if it costs more than what I'd normally like to spend.

I will warn you though - Athleta does not have free return shipping. With my first order from them, I had no idea what size I'd be so I ordered two sizes for several things. Kinda stinks to have to pay return shipping. There are two Athleta stores in my area, but both are at least a 45 minute drive, so I ended up shipping the things back. I will say though that what I've bought from them has been very well made. They are owned by the same parent company that owns Gap/Banana Republic in case you didn't know.

• sis3
    11 years ago

Living in Florida, cool clothing is a must! I find that Bermudas are the best length for me. I am slightly, OK a 1/4 inch, taller than average, and slim. Bermudas keep me cool, cover the knee, and yet seem to make my legs look quite long. I seek them out in colors and styles that I like. The ones with a little split or button detail at the knee are my favorites.
    Unless they are full length, pants that hit mid calf or lower do not suit me at all.
    I noticed last year in England that nude panty hose were back in fashion there.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Fourkids,

I just ordered that whatever skort and I am blaming you. LOL. I got the same color depicted in your picture.

DH has done work for this company. They had an anniversary down jacket that had a special label or buttons, can't remember which. It was on the front cover of their catalog.

Editing alert!

DH said we didn't do work for this company. We did work for 'Title Nine'. Sorry.

This post was edited by golddust on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 1:34

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I don't get a "skort"...why not just wear a skirt or a short? Why both? Isn't that a lot of extra fabric?

And there's something odd about that pic...when I first looked at it, I swore I was looking at one of the new man-skirts! There's something oddly masculine about the model....

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i love athleta clothes and have a few of their things--- love that they have talls. love their capris and jackets!

i have had a really hard time liking any of their dresses- alot have that sortof star-treky look, and i've tried on quite a few... but saw in their recent catalog that they have a crocheted dress with a slight varied hem length, but much less drastic of a length variance than the pics annie showed... thinking of trying it because i have one of their crocheted skirts from a couple of years ago which i love!!

• Faron79
    11 years ago

This thread is too funny!

Agree completely with OP's list...
    1. Mom jeans
    2. Elastic waist
    3. Knit pants - meaning plain old knit, elastic waist pants (yoga pants are great!)
    4. Sweats
    5. Baggy clothing.

>>> Adding some my own...;-)
    6) Croc's...can't even describe my hatred of these things!!
    7) Capri's...Unless you're 6' tall & 22...don't. My DD is though...Uffda!
    8) "Cargo-look" Capri's....Dear-God nooooo...!
    9) Skorts...NOT my favorite look on ANY Woman!

Will I think of more?
    Probably...;-)

Faron

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I like the skort pictured above, but Annie you're right! The model looks oddly masculine.

• golddust
    11 years ago

A skort is great because you can do anything in a skort that you can do in shorts but they look better. I'm a dress and skirt person in the Summer but wouldn't ride my bike in either. I can ride my bike in a skort. Very practice for people like me.

I have a pair of ballet style crocs. Wear them as slippers around the house. I had to toss in a footbed with arch support but they make great slippers and they aren't nearly as bad as the clogs. I can wear them in the garden and toss them in the dishwasher.

Most women dress for other women, Faron. Sorry.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Perhaps the model looks masculine because the Athleta models are super fit and muscular? I think she looks pretty feminine . . .

I shop a lot at Athleta and also have that skort. I look better in skirts than I do in shorts so the skort offers the best of both worlds (skirt=looks better, shorts=more functional). Plus, I feel fun and flirty wearing my skort while riding my beach cruiser!

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

good point kelly. Must be used to seeing models with a different body type. This is undoubtedly healthier!

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I am 48, 5'2", with heavy thighs and I think I look bad in almost any pants but especially capris and shorts! Sometimes you just HAVE to wear them, though. I'm not going to ride a bike in the summer wearing a skirt. Generally in the summer I like wearing a skirt and t-shirt or a sundress. My go-to pants the rest of the year are Lucky Brand Easy Rider jeans. I have to buy them to fit my hips/thighs and get the waist taken in. I have several pairs and when they fade, I buy a couple more. God help me if they ever stop making these jeans!

In general my pants are boring and I wear interesting tops or sweaters and always artsy/fun jewelry and hope people notice my earrings and not my a$$.

I love the Athleta catalog and have gotten sucked in and ordered from them in the past but nothing there EVER fits me. Sigh.

I struggle with footwear, though. I wear clogs most of the time and I think I need to expand my shoe selection! I like comfort, and a 2" heel. Any suggestions? Remember, I wear jeans almost every day.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

I agree with what the others said about the functionality of a skort vs a skirt. I live near the water and it's often very breezy here. I can't tell you how many times I've had a flouncy skirt that billowed in the wind and had me practically dropping anything in my arms to make sure my underwear wasn't suddenly exposed! The undershorts on this athleta skirt are made from a stretchy, breathable fabric and they are short so they don't make you feel hot. I feel much cooler in the skirt than a pair of cotton shorts.

Have to chuckle about the model not looking like a woman - the athletic bodies portrayed in their catalogs appeal to me b/c I will never be model thin. I have a butt and curves yet muscular quadriceps. I used to hate my thighs because they were more muscular than my friends, which when I was younger I thought of as big even though they aren't. I now appreciate having that definition and like how it looks in a skirt that falls just above my knee. I wish I could say the same for my rear end...doesn't look nearly as nice in shorts but can be disguised in a nicely designed skirt!

Gold dust, hope you like the skort. I have the same color plus one that is more of a taupe that they must have discontinued.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I can more justify the price of the skort because it is something I can wear outside of the gym vs spending $65+ on yoga pants that are only for working out. Fourkids, I can relate, I am 5'3", turning 50, and my body is not what it was. I am very lucky that I could wear something like their skorts to work most days. Boo, no stores near me, which is a little surprising.

I have workout capris I get at Target (Champion) brand which I like that are around $20. They wear well considering how much I wear them. I also bought some Marika capris through Groupon Goods and I wish I bought more because these are really nice.

• Faron79
    11 years ago

Goldy-
    Sorry...I wasn't trying to offend. Just interjecting a Guys POV.
    Simple as that. Nothin' more, nothin' less.

I didn't realize Women dressed "only for other Women".
    I realize I may be wrong, but that remark seemed a little snarky.
    And, no....I don't think Women should "dress for Men" either! I'm not THAT sexist!

(I'll bow out of this thread now...)

Faron

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Faron, just out of curiosity, what is wrong with the skort pictured above? In person, it looks no different than a skirt. The only difference is that underneath is a pair of built in shorts. When the "skort" is on, anyone looking at it would have no way of knowing it was anything other than a skirt. Perhaps you are talking about the previous style of skort - the kind that are shorts with a flap over the front that make it look like a skirt, but from the back they look like shorts? If so, that is not what we are talking about here.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

that is so funny that a couple think the model's body looks kindof masculine... i don't see anything even close to it looking masculine! is it because it is bare footed?? or just the lower half so that the bust and face can't be seen?? that is just such an interesting comment...

i like the lower rise waist and the length in the above skort...
    aside from some of their cool weather dresses, i love athleta's style... casual and youthful, yet still for the most part, appropriate for older women... i wish i had some of their sundresses when i was younger--- i wouldn't wear most of the racer back or short dresses anymore (except maybe if i lived on a beach), but i would have loved wearing them a few years ago!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I dunno...something about the shape of the torso, the size of the hand, the thickness and shape of the leg and the ankle...it looks rather masculine to me.

But if it's a really fit woman, well, very often their bodies look masculine....esp if she's a body builder which skews really masculine IMO.

This one, fit and feminine

But this one, masculine....

Maybe it's just the pose....

• User
    11 years ago

It might be the post for the first photo from Athleta. I love that they use models that appear fit and athletic vs. the scrony skinny that seems to dominate.

As far as what not to wear, a lot of my thoughts have already been mentioned. With age, I think it's wise to take a real good look at yourself every so often and adjust as needed. Some people can pull things off that others can't. If you're one of the few who can, go for it.

Oh, and IMO leggins don't just work with anything. I don't care how fit the person is. That seems to be a common thing I see lately. The shirt should be flowy and cover your bum. Great good example, Jen.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I don't think she looks masculine either. Love the catalogs who use healthy women instead of anorexic models.

Faron, I didn't mean it snarky at all. It's just that when one is married, it isn't really appropriate to continue to dress for other men...

I get compliments on my clothing a lot. But it is always women who compliment me. I share the info I have on whatever they compliment me on, so they can get one too. My DH tells me that I dress attractive but he knows this because women compliment me all the time in front of him.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Okay. Stop. Please. Look at the skorts pictured above. See how the " waist " band falls way below the waist and more at the hip? Now please, please tell me: have all of you over 40 , and ( especially) over 50 become truly adjusted to, and comfortable with this dropped "waist" band in pants, skirts, etc., that has become the norm ?
    I am not. The models above have zero belly, waistline or middle fat. I do. I'm not overweight, but , yes, i have a tummy that's not tight and firm without sucking in, and pretty sure this is true for most.
    I hate the feel of my uncovered belly, not to mention the horror ( for me) of the look if my shirt rides up n an unguarded moment. And i don't want my belly button to show under knit tops. I like feeling supported by my pants/ skirt waistband material. Am really all alone here? I'm not a big Chico's fan, but do like the way their pants hit me at just barely below the belly button.
    I also like eileen fisher's knit pants with...yes!... Elastic bands.
    Tell me how you feel about the belly baring, please. TIA!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Well let's just say a butt crack is not a good look whether you're the plumber bending over under a sink or have a decent figure....it's just not good.

Nor is showing your underwear

Neither are muffin tops

Nor is the classic Mom jean

But there's a lot of room in between.

Rather, opt for a mid rise jean that sits just below the waist, about a 9" rise, for good coverage and control, front and rear.

I also like trouser jeans for a more dressed up look yet still the comfort and casualness of denim, in a nice dark wash.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i think there are plenty of women who dress for both men and women... but men probably don't give many compliments anymore because sexual harrassment accusations are/were so prevalent... HR's have taught many men to be very careful!
    but, there are still plenty of women considering/having affairs or even those who just like to flirt and i'm sure they at least dress for both sexes!

i love lower rise--it all comes down to body type as the pics above clearly show.
    (the crack pic looks so much like a very full bosum---will that become fashionable some day just like showing cleavage has??????)

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Martinca, as my screenname implies, I have four kids. My belly has not seen the light of day in years. I too am not overweight but do have a tummy bulge sag as a result. I don't wear low rise anything but I do wear mid-rise pants, etc. it's a bit of a quandary b/c I need to make sure my tummy is covered while at the same time, make sure my butt isnt overextended like it would be in mom jeans that are high waisted. This skirt is not low waisted. I just put this skirt on to be sure (and golddust, I was wrong - I don't have the charcoal color but rather the gray one and a tan one) and it sits much higher in me than in the photo, about an inch below my belly button. For my own body type, I've found that pants,etc that hit me sort of in the middle of my tummy actually look best. Anything that goes higher then creates kind of a bubble effect where my belly is by cinching where I'm smaller - so rather than suck me it, it makes it jut out, if that makes sense. This is especially true in skirts that zip and button on the front. They don't hold me in if the button is higher and above my belly fat. Hard to explain but it just works for me but I'm for sure not exposing myself like in the photos above!

And I have the hardest time with bathing suits! I love tankinis in theory but it is so hard to find styles where the top actually comes over the top of the bottoms rather than meeting at the top. One move and my belly is showing! I love the designs of the Athleta suits but unfortunately nearly all their suits have the "meet and greet" rather than full coverage. And now bathing suit is nearing...ugh!

• golddust
    11 years ago

Fourkids, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about re: the tummy belly bulge and how pants fit. I have a pair of pants that adds inches to my tummy by the way they are cut. I'm not over weight either and I can't blame childbirth. It was menopause that stole my flat tummy.

Did you check out that sheared swim dress with the ruffle on the bottom from Athleta? I set out to link it, my computer froze and lost the link. Anyway, I ordered one for fun when I ordered that skort you waved in front of my eyes.

Anne, I think the Athleta models are perfect for the name and focus of the business. They don't have my body type so I can tell that skort won't be sliding that far down on my waist because I have bigger hips than the model does.

11 years ago

" meet and greet"..... Lol and very clever, fourkids. Ditto on that, fer sure!
    As for fashion mistakes, if this had been posted five or so years ago, I'd have been protesting daytime cleavage. Matter of fact, I'm sure it was, and i did. Now that it has become so much the norm , I'm over it. I do wonder what is driving this trend of sexy clothing , and where it will end. That it trickles down to little girls makes me a bit sad. A child of about seven was ahead of me in line. She wore the ubiquitous skinny jeans with a bra strap tee. She could have been a short teen. But I digress, sorry.

11 years ago

" meet and greet"..... Lol and very clever, fourkids. Ditto on that, fer sure!
    As for fashion mistakes, if this had been posted five or so years ago, I'd have been protesting daytime cleavage. Matter of fact, I'm sure it was, and i did. Now that it has become so much the norm , I'm over it. I do wonder what is driving this trend of sexy clothing , and where it will end. That it trickles down to little girls makes me a bit sad. A child of about seven was ahead of me in line. She wore the ubiquitous skinny jeans with a bra strap tee. She could have been a short teen. But I digress, sorry.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Wish I were that clever! :). I didn't coin that phrase - I think I either read it in the description of their suit styles or a customer called it that in me of their reviews. I always read the reviews for their clothes because people are pretty specific about their height/weight and body type and explain why or why not a particular tie of clothing worked for them or not. It really helped when trying to see if any of the swim suits would work.

As for marketing styles to kids, did you see where Victoria's Secret is now designing a line of underwear aimed at young girls? Highly inappropriate styles and messages IMO. I couldn't believe it when I saw the photos online. There is absolutely no reason for a 9 y/o to wear thong underwear! At that age, they shouldn't need to worry about panty lines! As the mom of 8 y/o and nearly 14 y/o girls, I get incredibly annoyed at the clothing marketed toward girls these days. Some of it is downright disgusting!

• rilie
    11 years ago

Athleta also has great swimsuits... they've been my 'go to' for bra sized tops for a few years. Lots of cute swimshorts also for snorkeling, beach activities, etc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You might check out "one hanes place"...they have tankinis that do much more than meet and greet...you order the top and the bottom separately and the tops are nice and supportive for those of us with bigger girls.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Land's End also has bathing suits with good coverage and it looks like their tankini tops are longer. They also have what they call the "4 piece bikini". You buy 4 separate pieces, a bikini top (in bra sizes) and bottom, plus a camisole type top that goes over that you can swim in, and a cute skirt to complete the look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Land's End swimwear

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Now here's a real what not to wear, regardless of your age or size. This makes even the anorexic model look bigger than a circus tent! And to think you too can have this dress for almost $1200!!!

Decisions, decisions...do I want a dress that makes me look like a house or a new sofa for my actual house...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Good article about Catherine Deneuve on mid heel heights....

Here is a link that might be useful: Skip the high heels!