SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Vintage-y vs period correct?

Nothing Left to Say
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm still working on choosing finishes for the hall bathroom remodel in our 1926 French revival. I am not going for period perfect, but I would like for the end result to feel appropriate to the house. And I think I would at least like to be making conscious decisions about whether to do the period correct thing or not.

For example, we are doing a curbless shower. That's obviously not period correct, but it's a functional issue that trumps for me and I'm okay with it. I'm also doing large format tile on the floor for functional reasons and I'm okay with that not being period correct.

On the other hand, I'm trying to choose faucets and I really like this Brizio that I posted on a different thread.

But that's Victorian, isn't it? So it's really not "right" for my house. Not to say I should not use it, but as a point to consider I'd like to know. And I would likely prefer to use something more period correct for the faucet since it's not a big functional issue for me.

Is this Moen more "right?"

Another example, I'm planning white tile 6 x 6 s for the wainscoting and 4 x 4s on the diagonal above the wainscoting in the shower. Lots of tile is correct. The squares are correct, though subway would also be correct, right? The white is borderline because in 1926 it was tipping over to more color, right? Should the 6 x 6s be set on a grid instead of staggered? I had always thought of the grid as a more modern look, but in trying to find images of bathrooms of the era it seems they were set on a grid.

Thank you so much for any thought on this!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES