SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
detailaddict

"Vintage" dry sink - determining age and style without dovetails

detailaddict
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I recently bought this piece at an estate sale, mainly because I like old furniture that tells a story about how people used to live. But now that it's in my basement (awaiting placement in our new build) I've been trying to research the period it came from and the general style. All of the websites out there offer advice on how to assess the dovetailing - i.e, by hand or machine; but this piece doesn't have any. All of the pieces are either glued or nailed - which seems to indicate more recent construction, but most of the nails appear to have square heads, and the top, sides and one door are made of single panels that are much wider than what one can find in modern lumberyards, and maybe even the lumberyards of 50 years ago. It is definitely solid wood - no plywood and certainly no MDF, although whether it is all the same wood type (pine or another soft wood) I'm not sure. It does show signs of wear, especially in the feet, but this could merely be due to use of reclaimed wood.

Obviously the construction is VERY plain and simple - even more so than what one would find in primitive Amish or Shaker pieces, from what I can tell. The only "decoration" is the carving in the side panels. I haven't seen any pieces with such a plain apron (which almost makes it look like a MCM piece), and it doesn't even have front-facing feet - the weight is entirely supported by the "feet" that are extensions of the sides. Whether these indicate strict practicality or a lack of skill, I don't know.

Pointers on other features to look for or insights as to its style and/or age would be appreciated. Apparently the appraiser for the sale thought this was worth something as the asking price was $850, although I didn't pay this much. Admittedly I'm still new to antiquing and purchase according to what I like and what price point I can justify rather than what I think a piece is worth. I've prepared myself for the possibility that this is a reproduction piece, but comments as to lack of research prior to purchase (learning curve!) are not helpful. Any takers?

Comments (29)