SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Shifting to mid 20th c. (only 42 years old).

palimpsest
13 years ago

I have posted in the past a couple of 19th c. houses that I am interested in and there has been some discussion of how much of a budget would be involved. (And unfortunately, it was in the hundreds of thousands).

I changed my search strategy and ran across this property in my own neighborhood. Its a fixer upper, apparently, I haven't seen it yet. But nothing compared to the other places I have posted.

I also found this brochure online, thanks to a current owner, who bought one of these units from the original owner. The house I am looking at is one floor smaller, although from the listing, it is hard to figure out which bedroom level is missing. The brochure has some rather fanciful interpretations of the actual appearance, although the floorplans are pretty accurate. I still wish it had a full basement instead of a utility area, but some of the basements I am looking at are pretty inhospitable places anyway.

This is a pretty big paradigm shift for me...I really like 19th c housing. However, there is something to be said for the 1960s floorplans of this particular group of houses.

The four story rendering--its pretty fanciful; they look like this but not exactly, the real scale is kinda funny:

{{!gwi}}

The three story version in reality. There aren't very many 3 story units. These were built at a time when you were a true pioneer if you moved in, so the all-original units have barred windows and doors. The back, which faces a garden area, has larger expanses of glass.

{{!gwi}}

These renderings make it look expansive:

{{!gwi}}

Floor plans: in the 3-story, one of the bedroom floors is absent.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)