SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

updates thru May 20th- Trailrunner

User
12 years ago

Whew...I can't believe it has been so long since I updated. I will try to do my best. Some have been getting my daily mini updates and pics. Roselovr has been posting to Garden Web Home Decorating forum the conversation side for me when she is able. Also if you will PLEASE check "crazyguyonabike" Atlantic coast ride...Allen Giese's blog for really good daily updates and pics I would appreciate it. He has a computer with him and a sense of humor and has done a tremendous job of writing.

Here goes:

5/13- PT 3:19-Avg 12mph- Miles 40

Reidsville to Statesville

only had a Quality Inn here $120 a room ! Pete and I shared as usual. I got the sofa....that is what happens when you are short LOL. I am missing 2 shirts....dang...left them hanging in the crappy motel last night. Went for a nice swim here at the motel. Climbed on my bike and rode into the historic section of Statesboro. Very nice. Asked around and found a consignmment shop...my fave place to buy things to wear. Rode about 2 miles on a terrible and busy rode and found a cute place...Cherry's. Got two tops and both on sale so $9. Found a nice cafe in the old part of town for us to have dinner later. Lily's. More about the great chef later.

Heard from Maddie...she is in Vegas on business. Heard from Garett and he is also good. Robert called finally from airport in San Fran...says he now has a " third eye" from being at the meditation center for over a week long retreat...I told him we will get him fitted for special sunglasses :)

Went to Lily's for dinner. Chef just opened the place and he named it for his Aunt Lily...sweet. He is trying very hard and is doing a fine job. Had to drop out of Wolfgang Puck's culinary school back in the 80's. I talked to him and found out his daughter is a student at Un. of VA > Told him to look up Collin and Amanda in Lexington when he visits his daughter...he says he will. Had mahi mahi and mahi and lovely potatoes and haricot verts. Very nice. Beautiful art on the walls by Hunter Logan...will look him up later.

5/14- Statesboro to KOA Southpoint

PT-5- Avg 13- Miles 70

What a day. didn't sleep well too noisy and sofa not good and a/c too cold. Had a very good breakfast buffet Quality Inn at least. Stopped at edge of town to get Gatorade and discovered that my trailer had a flat. again...Allen fixed...thank you Allen ! Have two broken spokes too. sigh...Rode FAST and caught the others. Got an OJ and Chocolate milk and felt great.

Stopped at the Savanah River for the state line pic. Ate a banana and more choc milk and good to go...new fuel this trip LOL. Stopped at a place called Brenda's store. She made us a sandwich of ham loaf and yellow cheese on Wonder Bread....absolutely delicious...see what happens when you are REALLY hungry. See Allen's details on this stop....there was some serious smokin' goin on across the road at the :) Robertsville Baptist church is here. Robert's Rules...great pics. Moved the church here to by rolling it on logs to prevent Sherman from burning it. Rode on and saw wonderful countryside. Wide shoulder most of the way. Rode with Allen and nice talk. rode with Bob and also nice conversation. KOA a great stop. Sat with Pete at the hot tub...I only put in my feet...he loves the hot tubs.

Along the road today we saw a beaver and a baby fox and a pileated wood pecker...all road kill...so sad.

5/15- PT ? - Avg 12- Miles 52

Southpoint KOA to Ghivens Ferry St park

Great ride. cool temps and nice road. Nice talks with Bob.

I will digress here as I have 2 hrs limit on the computer today. Last year I was a better story teller and there were more stories. Not sure what the difference is this year . I am a year older...will be 61 in December. I am a LOT stronger both mentally and physically this year than last. I have a base of strength that I didn't realize was there till we started pedalling in Key West. I never get tired...or very rarely ( BTW I am writing this in the Here and Now...5/25. ) My legs are amazing this trip and hard as rocks. I feel strong and well every day. I think a lot of it has to do with the mental aspect of touring. Week in and week out last year I never knew what to expect. It was all new. That was both exciting and exhausting. This year I have the strength covered as well as the inner knowledge that I can do almost anything. There are rarely surprises...I know that I can ride in extreme weather...I know that traffic doesn't bother me...I know that there will be water and food and company along the way. I know that I will sleep and wake and keep going...essentially no hill is too steep and no mountain to high. Probably way more than you wanted to know but a VERY big step for me. Touring has now entered a new dimension for me. I can set up and break down in camp and get myself organized and be " on my game " and it is all relatively painless. Oh I forgot the MOST important thing. The people I am riding with. Last year I had interaction problems. I spend almost all of my time alone when I am at home. On the road I am with someone almost all the time...big big difference. I also get along with guys way better than gals. Not sure why that is but it is so. On this trip this year I decided to really work on relationships and really try to listen more and empathize more and just " fit in" better. There were some very rough days about week 2 and week 3...I figured it out and had a talk with the persons involoved...it worked. We now get along famously and I have made some new life long friends. I am so proud of myself. I have grown . One of the riders this AM paid me a very great compliment concerning my behavior and personality...I feel so good about myself. OK BACK TO UPDATES !

Stopped at a wonderful cemetary Hendersonville. Stopped again in Walterboro ate at a Hardees...on a Sunday the good diners/cafes are often closed. We met Eddie after breakfast. Eddie is so interesting. I don't have his card in here with me but you can Google him and find his blog. He is walking from Miami and spreading happiness. He is pulling a wagon with everything in it that he needs. Folks give him a place to stay. He asks for nothing excpet that you smile. He is on his way to Washington DC...he feels they can use a lot of what he is trying to share...we thought so too. He has an interesting story...look it up...he has lost almost everything good in his life and yet he has a smile and he is out there moving forward. He is an inspiration to me and everyone he meets. Go Eddie.

Stopped at Chief Anderson Field. This is one of several fields where the Tuskegee Airmen trained for WW II. I took care of Chief and also Chappie James when I did Home Health Nursing in Tuskegee. They were both very interesting and strong personalities.

Got another flat ! Hmm...I am being paid back for the lack of flats last year...than you Pete !! Rode on to the state park . Very nice site. Right on the river. No cell service except at the gate of the park . Rode there and talked to Robert. ANOTHER ASIDE : this man is the BEST husband /father /friend in the world. He carries on while I am gone and loves me as much today as he did 40 years ago. My life would be nothing without him in it. He has given me such a gift of patience and kindness and wisdom...and 3 of the most wonderful children in the world. Thank you Robert.

Pete and I cooked dinner in camp. Cous cous from Near East and then I bought a pint of Breyers ice cream...bad girl ! Didn't sleep well....too chilly and I was lazy and didn't get out my sleeping bag....dumb.

5/16- PT ?- avg 12---last 20 miles were at 16-18 MPH !!! miles covered 73 !!

Ghivens Ferry to Andrews

Got out on the road at 6:45 AM. felt good . Ate a bagel and OJ in camp. Rode 9 miles to Ridgeville and a fried egg and sausage sandwich on a biscuit in a gas station...not too bad. Rode 17 more miles so Pete could use the library to get a plane ticket home. He leaves the group in Richmond to climb Mt Killimanjaro ( sp ??) . WOW...he is 73...he is working on his bucket list in life. Amazing friend to have with me both last year and this.

Had a choc. milk at Moncks Corner...I told you about my fave new fuel. I also love Chugs when I can find them....they are a whopping 450 cal !! Stopped again at a beautiful old cemetary. Stopped also for our 1000 mile pic !! YEAH !! See Allen's blog for that one too.

Rode through Witherbee Forest. Beautiful. Saw the head of the Palmetto trail. Very pretty and quiet. Got to 50 miles and I said " I HAVE TO EAT NOW !!"...and we turned a corner in the middle of nowhere and there was a place to eat !! WOW...I think it won't be there if I go back...I think it just appeared because I needed it so much. It was a " meat and 3" place and very very YUM !! Pot roast mashed potatoes gravy and lima beans with ham and fresh tomatoes and cornbread...YUM!! Bethern is the name of the tiny town. Got very fired up and RODE FAST next 23 miles...to Andrews SC. cheap motel $55 double room.

We rode through the Francis Marion Forest too...he was known as the Swamp Fox in the Civil War. Did laundry at Bea's Launderette....one of the WORST laundromats yet...ugggh. Ate dinner had meatballs and spaghetti and a large glass of Merlot at Antonio's...not too bad actually.

5/17- PT ?- Avg 12- miles 54

Andrews SC to Conway.

I must interject here that the ROADS in SC and the DRIVERS are BAD BAD BAD !!! All of us have agreed we would have skipped the WHOLE dang state had we known this was the case. We think this is why many of the riders that used to do the Atlantic Coast route have stopped. There are NO touring folks out there going either way for us to see on a regular basis like last year on the Southern Tier . We know there are some but they were a couple weeks ahead of us and so far no one heading South on the route ...at least none we have seen.

OK moooooving on. Pretty town Conway We are staying at an EconoLodge. There is an Historic district here and a riverwalk. Went to see both. Stopped at the visitor's center and got a guide to the old homes in the walking tour. Pam and I rode around and veiwed a number of them. I have the guide would love to come back. Stopped and talked to one owner for a long time. He showed us around and talked about his home and the improvements they are making. Has lived in it 31 years. You see nothing for sale in this tiny town and most of the 40 old homes...from the late 1800's-early 1900's have had only 2-3 owners. The man we spoke with is a TV producer and has a talk show on the local radio. He also is a political consultant for folks running for office. Interesting story about unseating a long term judge...

Crossed the Pee Dee River. Had a nice lunch today at Bernie's cafe. Chicken salad sandwich was great and home made potato salad ...like Momma's. On the way today had a snack at mile 42 ...you know...chocolate milk and powder sugar donuts !! Also had another choc milk and a banana along the side of the rode . ( sorry this is so disjointed...you just have to bear with me and edit as needed :) )

Logging trucks ALL day...no breaks so they go FAST around the bends...did I say I will NEVER ride in SC again ????

Update on my family as of today ____ Robert is home in Opelika after being in San Francisco ( Los Altos ) for his retreat and then San Diego to see Garett. Garett is now in Boston for a week for work and then 2 days of sightseeing. Amanda and Collin are happy that the baby is doing great according to the MD !! YEAH...for new grands !! Madeline is back in Atlanta after being in Vegas for work...yeah yeah...:) Eric, my nephew is in Colorado and my SIL who has been house sitting our house in AL is now in CO too !! That's all.

5/18- PT 6- Avg 13- miles 80 + 13 !!!!

WHEW do you see that !! New high for me ! Never have ridden that far and that well and had such fun.

Conway SC to Carolina Beach St park

Had bagel and strawberries and yogurt in room. We then stopped at the " Best Pancake House" at mile 30. Ummm how to put this...I was HUNGRY !! I had a ham and cheese omelette and and 2 pancakes and coffee...feel lots better :)

Traffic and no shoulder and bad roads....did I say I HATE SC roads ??? . We took ferry from Southport and then rode to state park. Had wonderful dinner at Harbor Master restaurant. Great pics of sunset. Had grouper...local catch. and baked potato and huge salad with candied nuts and blue cheese. Fat Tire Beer.

5/19 PT 2 hrs day off. toured the island . Carolina Beach State Park.

Raccoon got into my food bag last night . Everything SOAKED with raccoon SPIT....need I say more. He/she actually managed to open a container of yogurt and SUCK out all the yogurt through the cloth bag...ewww. It also got into my handlebar bag and sucked on a 1/2 piece of coffee cake....I threw it at the raccoon to get it to go away...horrible beast. I then proceeded to walk to the dang bathroom and GOT LOST> Wandered around in the underbrush...and finally found the tents...it was dark....I was mad at the raccoon...whatever....all is OK and the bag is washed and the raccoon...a descendant of the one on the tour last year is forgiven...yeah right !

We toured the fort here and the aquarium. Very nice. Had a good lunch at Tangerines. Got dinner fixins at the Red Lion grocery store...I got a pint of Haggen Dazs...65 fat grams !! OH NO ! LOL.

5/20- PT 4:11

Avg 12.6- Miles apprx 54

Carolina Beach St park to Surf City ( USA ) haha

rode Hwy 17 YUCK !! good lunch at a BBQ house....really nice folks.This was in Wilmington NC. Near the Camp LeJeune base where Collin spent 4 years. Semper Fi. Had a beautiful walk on the beach and an IPA slept well.

Comments (5)