SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

How do you determine if an older home is worth it?

marys1000
16 years ago

Obviously this is maybe too big a question for a post here but I'm hope to get some sense of how this works.

I'm relocating and would like to live out of town with a little privacy. So of course a lot of these places have old farm homes. Some built just before the turn of the century, some 1930ish.

Now in my original ignorance I thought these old farm houses were all beautifully built and worth putting money into but actually I think the reality was often - all the moeny is going into land, barns, farming and the houses are sometimes actually sort of crummy. And then add on crummy additions, crappy aluminum siding.

What do you look for when trying to determine whether to put 100,000 into a small 740 down 740 up old farm house?

(100,000 toward a garage, air conditioning, new windows, heck 100,000 isn't enough)

Is it quality joists? sound structurally? original woodwork? I'm not sure how what to look for and how to evaluate.

Thanks,

Mary

http://dayton.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Dayton&PRGNAME=MLSPropertyDetail&ARGUMENTS=-N939894574,-N245582,-N,-A,-N8810848

Comments (14)