SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sigh_gw

Italians please help! looking for nuts on a string...

sigh
16 years ago

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this or if it's just a regional (Abruzzo/Molise) thing. I believe they're roasted hazelnuts strung together like a garland and yes, you eat them.

I had forgotten all about them but I was on Arthur Ave yesterday (Italian section in the Bronx) and the memory came rushing back. They are a favorite of my mother's and I'd like to surprise her with some. I haven't seen them in years.

I did try doing an internet search, hoping for mail order, but you's be surprised at what comes up when you search for "nuts on a string" :-).

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or am I just nuts?

Nina

Comments (74)

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

Just thought of this...Bet youll get them at the end of the month at the Feast of St Gennaro down in little Italy

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Maryanne: I'm originally from West Philly. I was in Glenolden for 26 years..
    I moved up to the Pocono's in 1992 but started building in th 80's.
    I get down to Delco every so often to my Daughter's in Folsom.
    She also has a small condo in Ventnor , 1 mile from the Hilton.

Waiting for my wife to get a little better to get down to AC.
    I'll probably go to Di Bruno's for the Torrone or make some myself.
    LOU

• Related Discussions

Please help: range/speed oven/microwave...driving me nuts

Q

Comments (8)
    I have had the Elux Icon Speed oven for 8 years now. It has been trouble free, except for a screw that came loose that holds on the handle, (was easy to fix). As you mentioned, it does not broil, most of the time we do that outside, but I can use the broiler in my regular Elux oven. We like potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams here, and it sure is nice to be able to do them in 14 minutes (including preheat), compared to the regular oven which takes 45-60 minutes). The Elux "defaults" to the microwave mode, just enter time and push start, and we have used it a lot as a mircrowave in the 8 years we've had it. We could do just about anything (except broil), that we could do in our regular oven, and I've baked turkey thighs, stuffed tomatoes, meatloaf, desserts~~~you name it. It came in handy as a "2nd oven" during "Thanksgiving", (for some of the "side dishes"). I've found that for reheating poultry and fish, as well as French fries, that these "Somewhat tricky to reheat" items come out best when reheated in the speed oven using "Speed Cook"~~~they don't get soggy like they would if you just nuked them or tried to reheat in a regular oven. You can watch "The Great Potato Race" on UTube, to see a comparison, (well actually a contest) baking potatoes using the Miele and Electrolux Speed Ovens. The Elux was easier to use as I just chose potatoes, entered how many and the Speed oven did the rest. With the Miele, the user had to enter preheat time, (alto he did not use preheat), He had to enter temp, cooking time with convection, cooking time using microwave, etc etc. The Miele Speed ovens do enjoy a good reputation here in Garden Web~~~~but~~~~~I would invite you to google "Miele Speed Oven Reviews" before forming any opinions about the Miele. (Likewise do the same for "Electrolux Speed Oven). Wife still likes her large oven, so it does get some use(Large oven), alto there have been very few times in the 8 years that we've had the speed oven that which we cook would not fit in it! Anyway, to "Sum It Up", My Speed oven is one appliance I will never be without, ( I even do my toast in it)~~~We don't eat enough toast to merit buying a toaster, and the toast comes out great~~~You just have to "Flip it"! The other appliance I could never do without??????? My Elux Icon Induction Cook Top~~~~~We love that cook top!!!! Gary
    ...See More

nuts on a string...as promised (G rated)

Q

Comments (6)
    Kayskats- their "real" name is nocciole 'ndritte. They're roasted hazelnuts, strung & sold at Italian feasts...or at least they were. Now they appear to be more of an impossible to find novelty. Lou, if I'm gonna start hallucinating I had better dream up something better than dried nuts! Thank you all for your help with this...and for reaffirming my sanity. Nina
    ...See More

Gluten & nut free Italian treats?

Q

Comments (20)
    Hi folks, this event is coming up in a week and a half. I've been mulling over all the suggestions. Question: do you think I could unmold panna cotta from a muffin tin? I may have up to a dozen women attending. I liked the tea cup idea, but don't think I could keep a dozen tea cups in my fridg with everything else for a day or so, plus with the other things I plan on making, I thought what would fit in a muffin tin would be a nice size - any suggestions appreciated as I have never made it. Was planning on trying tishtoshnm's recipe suggestion. Thinking of including a "nod" to Valentine's Day with the offerings. At least one person is allergic to nuts, a couple have celiac, and one has diverticulitis and can't have seeds. This is what I have come up with to make and serve so everyone can have "most" things: heart shaped Linzer cookies with seedless raspberry jam (I have a cookie recipe to make them without nuts), walnut fudge, panna cotta (was thinking of drizzling a glaze of melted seedless raspberry jam on it?) and berries on the side with a plate of cheese, regular and gluten free crackers, figs and dates (how about mascarpone cheese since it's Italian?). Spumante was mentioned in the book, so I was thinking of getting that. I remember a tv commercial growing up for "Martini and Rossi Asti Spumante" - of course no more alcohol commercials these days lol!
    ...See More

Please help my String of Hearts...is dying

Q

Comments (12)
    How often are you watering? Are you letting it dry down completely between waterings? How much light is it getting? Are you using any fertilizers? If so how much and how often? These two threads will help you, take the time to read them. If you still have questions, we are here to help. Container Soils XXII https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2842847/container-soils-water-movement-and-retention-xxii Good Growing Practices - An Overview http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg101400289284.html
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    16 years ago

Hugs to Lou....

((((((((LOU))))))))

Hope the tests find the problem, so all can be fixed.

Nancy

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

Spoke with my sister in law who is 60 last night she grew up in Brooklyn she says she remembers the stung nuts but she said they were made with CHICHI beans salted and roasted (Garbonza's) She doesnt remember what it was actually called shes gonna check with her mother. She says they were always available at Feast time.

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eileen- I have dispatched my scouts to the San Gennaro festival & they will report back. If nuts on a string are to be found there I know that one friend in particular will be able to find them.

Maryanne- the hazelnuts were roasted in their shell? Interesting. Were they roasted over a fire? Of course we do the chestnuts but those get roated in the oven. I love that your dad had a special "nut" towel! What a sweet memory. No, these were already shelled I think, and strung like beads. It's been about 20 years since I last found them so my memory's a bit dim.

I was hoping you'd respond...preferably along the lines of these being available in the market in Philly! Oh well.

Hmmm, roasted ceci (chick peas/garbanzos), salted and strung? I don't think I've ever seen those. I would think thay'd be smaller than what I'm thinking of but maybe I should spoil the surprise & ask my mom? Since it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to surprise her with these things (but I won't give up!)

Nina

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Wow Ellen, I completely had forgotten about the roasted strung chichi beans, boy it's been ages since I've had them. Last time I had the strung hazelnuts, was in Italy @ a feast some years back.

There's been talk of Torrone, I have finally had found a source for the wafer paper that's typically used, so very soon I hope to give making torrone a try, it'll be a first for me. I have several recipes to choose from, and hoping for the best results. Plan on making the norm & the dark chocolate covered, maybe towards the holiday's so I won't eat it all up :-)

Lucy

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lucy,

You know that you need to start practicing the torrone now, just to make sure you know what you're doing, right? This is an important part of the torrone making process ;-).

Seriously, where did you find the wafers? I'd really like to make torrone this year but just know that it won't be around very long. I'll be sneaking off in the middle of the night to make sure it's still good...

Nina

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Nina,
    Your funny! You got a point there! ;-)

My daughter has a small baking & chocolate candy business (hoping one day to have a shop of her own, hope that happens soon, 3 large sheet cakes just last night in my kitchen!) once or twice a year she goes to a supplier in NJ, where she found the wafer paper for me. I believe they have mail ordering as well. I'll find out for you.

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

nina, no, they were shelled first. i would imagine they would explode in the oven or something if they weren't. they were roasted in the oven on a cookie sheet.

i started making torrone many years ago when my sister first moved to the mid-west as she couldn't get all the things she was accustomed to. it took a few years to really perfect it.

nina, if you want, i can send you some of that wafer paper. just let me know.

maryanne

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Maryanne,
    I haven't tried my hand torrone yet, but plan on giving it a try soon. I would welcome any hints you can share with the making of it.

Lucy

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Lucy: I found this on the internet.
    LOU

Until recent years Torrone was available from October through January and associated with Christmas. Today it can be found throughout the year and is a good substitution for the industrial candy bars. That is not to say that this treat does not have a lot of calories, simply that it is an antique recipe and most likely will not rot your teeth, it may break them if you are fortunate to find an original version, but it will not rot them.

The best thing about Torrone is that it is not difficult to make and can be easily adapted to just about any taste.

Ingredients:

8 oz. (250 g) Hazelnuts
    10 oz. (320 g) Almonds
    8 oz. (250 g) Honey
    11 oz. (320 g) Sugar
    3 egg whites
    Grated peel of one orange
    1 3/4 oz. (50 g) candied orange peel
    2 tbsp Brandy
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    10 Communion wafers (or other thin wafer)

Preparation:

If the almonds still have the skin. Blanch the almonds in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and dry.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the almonds on a baking pan with parchment paper. Toast for 5 minutes. Rub the almonds in a towel, the skins will come off in the towel.

In a double boiler, over medium heat, pour the honey. Let the honey cook for about 1 hour. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.

Place the candied orange peel in a small cup. Add the Brandy and let sit while the honey cooks.

When the honey is blond in color, whip the egg whites to firm peaks. Slowly, add the egg whites to the honey, mixing from bottom to top, never side to side. The honey will swell up and foam.

In a separate pan heat the sugar. When the sugar starts to brown, add the sugar to the honey-egg white mixture, stirring continuously. The mixture will begin to lose volume and become thicker.

To see if the mixture is ready, drop a teaspoon of the mixture into cold water. The cold water will immediately bring it to its consistency. You can verify if it is at the hardness you desire. If you want it harder just continue cooking a bit longer.

Drain the candied orange peel. Add the remaining ingredients, except the wafers, to the mixture. Stir quickly and try to distribute the hard ingredients evenly in the paste.

Place the 1/2 of the wafers on a hard surface, preferably marble or granite. Pour the mixture onto the wafers. Mold the now hardening mixture into a rectangle about 2 inches high. Smooth the top of the mixture and place the remaining wafers. Press gently and allow to cool completely. The Torrone can now be cut into pieces of any size.

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Lou,
    Thank you! Have you made the torrone before? Last weekend we were at the Oyster Festival in Norwalk CT & at one of the booths there was homemade torrone that I couldn't pass up, it was wonderful. Break you teeth wonderful ! ;-) So with the wafer sheets on hand, I think it's time I just jump in & give it a try.

OK, OK, NINA, it's time!!!

Lucy

• hawk307
    16 years ago

I found something else. This is what I was talking about in the earlier thread.

STRUFFOLI"
    (Honey Balls)
    2 cups water
    1 cup margarine
    4 cups sifted flour
    ¼ tsp. salt
    10 large eggs
    16 oz. honey
    ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
    1/3 cup candied orange peels
    ½ cup (multicolored) cake-decorating sprinkles
    Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two baking sheets lightly. Have eggs at room temperature.
    Place water, margarine, and salt in a saucepan and bring to broil. Remove from range and cool for 3 minutes. Stir in flour and mix well. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture forms a ball and leaves sides of pan--about 1 minute. Remove from range and cool for 5 minutes. Add eggs to mixture, one at a time, beating hard for approximately 1 minute after each addition. Fill pastry bag with batter and pipe small rounds (the size of marbles) 1 inch apart onto baking sheets. (Or you can drop by half teaspoons onto baking sheets.) Bake until lightly browned--about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
    In a saucepan, heat honey until it comes to rolling boil. Boil for 5 minutes, being careful not to let it boil over. Dip puffs, approximately 12 at a time, into honey and roll around to coat evenly. Remove with slotted spoon onto a plate. Continue until all puffs are dipped. Wet hands with cold water and stick puffs together forming wreath rings, pyramids, or dome shapes. Decorate with toasted pine nuts, candied orange peel, and cake-decorating sprinkles.

LOU

I don't have the Wafer sheets so I think I'll pass on making the Torrone
    and just buy a box. Also, I don't have the time.
    Good luck !!!!!

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Lou,
    "STRUFFOLI" (Honey Balls) I have been making them exactly as the recipe you posted for years.

These absolutely light as a feather, a plus for me, is that there not fried.
    Lucy

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmmm...baked struffoli? I'm going to have to try that. My mother always did them in ribbons. Would roll the dough through the pasta machine to get it nice & thin, cut into strips, ties them into bows & fry. A LOT of work but feather light. I'm definitely going to try a batch of baked this year (along with the fried...I need a place to hide this stuff!)

Maryanne, you're a sweetheart. Let me see if I can find the wafer on my own or I might just take you up on that.

Lou- communion wafers?! I always thought that the torrone wafer "felt" like that (and of course you gotta eat the wafer first). I can just imagine trying to get my hands on unconsecrated wafers...in bulk.

Lucy- I missed the Norwalk Oyster fest? rats. Have you ever gone to the one in Oyster Bay? The oysters are superb and the fest takes over the town. No nuts on a string there, either.

Nina

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Nina,
    The baked struffoli, are the best, literally light as a feather; basically they're ultra mini cream puffs balls.

The bow ties drizzled w/honey or dusted w/confectioners sugar, yummie

Will keep a lookout for those hazelnuts 4 U.
    Lucy

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

struffoli, i love it. i love piling them high on a fluted platter - once i even got daring and molded them into a pan thati had drizzled with spun sugar. made an excellent presentation. i love fried dough, bow ties, easter cookies. now i want to bake (just hate the clean up).

lucy/nina
    here's a generic torrone recipe that you can use as a base and then when comfortable with it, experiment with flavors and what not. to change it up, i add a few drops lemon or orange oil as well as some grated peel, without really adjusting anything else. i've used hazelnuts, almonds and pistachio.

the first few times i made it, i didn't use wafer paper. then i found it in a speciality store. when that store closed up, i mail ordered for it, but what they sent was much thicker, but still used it. i couldn't imagine asking church for communion wafers - wouldn't that be a little sacriligeous?

Italian Torrone

1/2 cup honey
    3 cups granulated sugar
    2/3 cup hot water
    2 egg whites - room temp
    2/3 cups chopped nuts, crisped
    2/3 cup chopped cherries (optional)

Before you begin the cooking process:
    ~Crisp the nuts ~~ preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread the nuts on a cookie sheet, place in oven and turn off the heat. Remove pan in 10 minutes.
    ~Line a square pan with foil and lightly butter the foil if you are NOT using rice paper.
    ~If you using rice paper, fit this into your pan, no butter needed
    ~If you are using fruit, chop it and set aside.
    ~Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Keep a metal measuring cup with a handle handy.

Combine the honey, sugar and water in a 4 quart heavy saucepan. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until all the sugar crystals are dissolved. Then clip on a thermometer.

Meanwhile, beat the egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form.

When the cooking mixture reaches 230F, take out 2/3 cup using the metal measuring cup. Pour this in a thin stream into the whipped egg whites and again beat this mixture at the highest speed.

Continue cooking the honey mixture and wash down the sides of pan twice more as the mixture cooks. Cook to 265F and then remove from the heat. Entire cooking time is about 20 minutes.

Pour hot cooked mixture in a thin stream into the egg white mixture and beat at highest speed. Do not scrape the cooking pan. When the egg mixture begins to thicken, stop mixer and fold in the nuts and fruit. Remove from bowl with a rubber spatula and press into the prepared pan.

Refrigerate overnight.

Cut into desired sized pieces - wrap in plastic if desired
    (keeps for about 3 weeks in the frig, but has never lasted that long)

(For what it's worth: pistachio is excellent chocolate covered!)

enjoy
    maryanne

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Nina: I saw my Italian friend at the PO and asked about the nuts on a string.
    He was no help at all.

So I guess you will have to find them at a Feast or at your Italian Shopping Center.
    Sorry I couldn't help.
    LOU

• lucyny
    16 years ago

maryanne, thanks for the recipe, now there's 2 recipes to try, thanks to yourself & Lou. It'll be experimenting.

The wafer paper I have is a little thicker than the one's in the imported torrone.

Lucy

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Lucy: One of the girls in the PO is going to the St.Gennaro Feast, with her mother.
    She said she would bring me back a string of Hazelnuts, if she can find them.
    LOU

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are the best :-). I've emailed some friends that live in Dyker Heights (very Italian section of Brooklyn) and am waiting to hear back. As a last resort I do have a friend that lives in Rome but that might be really extreme. Now I'm just determined to find the things so that I can show you all what they look like (and that they exist).

And I know...I just know...that if I do manage to find them & bring them to my mom she's going to say "what did you buy these for? I'm not going to eat them."

I'm on a mission...

Nina

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Nina: If we could use a rope and tie around some necks ,
    we could get you a lot of nuts on a rope.
    Would that be OK ?????

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Success!!!

I received a call from my friend Marty last night while he was at the San Gennaro fest:

"Now that I found the nuts on a string what do I do with them?"

I knew it! I knew that if they were to be found at San Gennaro Marty would find them. He had to ask, they were behind the counter & out of sight...fresh off the plane from Italy (or fresh out of a dusty, forgotten corner of the stockroom...who can tell?)

He got me two strands, I'll be going to meet him at the Great Neck Auto Show on Sunday for the exchange and if they're anything more than just empty strings by then I'll be posting photos.

Thank you, thank you all! This thread spawned some great laughs & equally great recipes. The least I could do is produce the actual nuts.

Lou- I don't think that nuts on a rope would be quite the same...but in some cases it might not be a bad idea :-).

Nina

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Halelujah !!!!!

Nina: If your mom doesn't make a fuss over them, I'll get you.

LOU

• lucyny
    16 years ago

I second Lou's, Hallelujah!! ;-)

Lucy

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

nina,

glad to hear you found them. please post a picture when you finally get them in your hands.

maryanne

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Nina & Lou,
    This morning my daughter handed me a white bag, and said "here's a surprise for ya"! It was heavy, feeling the bag I felt a block of something, could not image what could be in there. Low & behold, it was a huge chunk of "TORRONE".

She had gone to the San Gennaro feast last night. Wish I known she was going, I would have had her get me some of those "nuts on a string" :-)

Lucy

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Thanks a lot Lucy !!!
    Now how am I going to find some up here in the Pocono's.
    LOU

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Lou, guess I have to send ya some torrone :^ ) Boy oh boy is it good! not to sweet & plenty of nuts! Have a lot going on this weekend, no time to give those recipes a try, but soon...let you know how it turns out.

Lucy

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

Nina can you post a pic!

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Will post a pic tonight. I have two strands.

Now I must admit, I was a little bit let down when I opened the ubiquitous white bag & saw them. Somehow I remembered them differently. But they're each 16 dried hazelnuts, strung on what looks like dental floss. My son wanted no part of them (well he's only half Italian..and he's 3) and my mother has no idea that I have them. Next time I may just string my own.

Lucy- mmmmm, torrone! I could really go for some as well.

Nina

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

lou, what section/area of the pocono's are you in?

maryanne

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Hi Maryanne: I guess I'm on the western end of the Pocono's.
    North of Jim Thorpe , 8 miles south of Blakeslee in close proximnity to Split Rock Lodge and Big Boulder Ski Slopes.
    In fact I look at the back end of Big Boulder Mtn.
    I'm close to the intersection of Rt.903 and Rt.534, about 5 miles from Hickory Run State Park.
    That should tell you where I'm located.
    If you come out, I'll have dinner ready.

LOU

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

hey lou, i'm quite familiar. when i'm up there, it's at IMLC, right off 534, above 115 and down the road from 903. so i'm totally aware of your location, neighbor

i'll let you know when i'll be up that way. i had hoped for this weekend, but we had a loss in our family and services are in the midst of being arranged and i'm making the assumption they will be over this weekend.

maryanne

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Maryanne: IMLC ? Is that Indian Mountian Lakes ?
    That's about 5 minutes away.
    I won't be here friday. We will be at our clubhouse ,
    at the entrance gate.
    They are throwing a Birthday Party for my wife.

The leaves are turnig colors 2 to 3 weeks early.
    Probably because the Cold Snap we had, triggered it.
    LOU

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

yes lou, indian mountain lakes. like i said, i won't be up this weekend, but i'll email you when i know that i will be.

happy birthday mrs. hawk! glad to hear you are felling better.

maryanne

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Maryanne: Thank You !!!!! Looking forward to seeing you.

Lou

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Happy belated birthday Mrs. Lou! (Lou my Nana was born in Mauck Chunk ....the world is sure small, isn't it?)

Just to let you know I DID make it to Arthur Avenue...tho it was 4pm on Friday and I got my sausage and beat it out...well right to the traffic going cross the GW. I totally forgot smoked pancetta....grrrrrr..but got Dick some sausage.

So...can we have a pic of the nuts? (shut up Jessica!! and stop your snickering) Maureen

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Maureen : Thanks for the Birthday greeting. You're not late because we are still celebrating.

Sometimes things happen, that I don't understand.
    Yesterday morning my wife was out of it.

I had to help her to stand and she could hardly walk.
    She was disoriented, confused and wasn't talking.

Her Bible friends and regular friends were having a Birthday Party for her at the Clubhouse at 1.30 PM.

I told one woman , I think we should cancel the Party and just let them come to the house and visit.

At 12.30 PM she started to respond and we got her dressed.
    It was like someone gave her a shot of Adrenaline.

When we got to the Clubhouse and got her seated she recognized everyone and started talking , laughing and never stopped until 8PM. ?????????
    Unbelievable !!!!!

She is still OK today.
    Someone said that is what's called "Divine Intervention"
    I had to tell you that little story.

Maryanne: I'll have to start baking some Bread, Cheesecake and Cinnamon Buns
    Hope you can make it.

LOU

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Nina : Don't forget to let us know what mom say's.
    Lou

• compumom
    16 years ago

This weekend Jimmy Kimmel and his family are sponsoring the first Feast of San Gennaro right here in Hollywood. I heard his cousin advertising it on the radio and she said Jimmy missed being back home for it so he planned one here. They've made it a big 3 day event with proceeds going to a charity. It sounded good, wish I had the time or the tummy to visit and eat!

Lou- I'm glad the Mrs. is feeling better, I spent most of the afternoon with my dad, it's hard on the caretaker too.
    Please give her my best birthday wishes, I know you already did the singing for me!
    E

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lou! I'm so glad that your wife is doing better but oh how awful & scary. I hope that the celebration is continuing.

My mother...I love her, I do, but ever since she stopped working she's not her usual self. Mind you, she's 85 & stopped working only 3 years ago. She lives minutes from all of her children, grandchildren & great grandchildren. We do our best to run her ragged but lately it seems like nothing is enough.

My mother has always been gracious and had raised us to be the same. I couldn't wait to get these nuts to her because they were something that was truly for her. So I had my son run up to her with the bag. She opened them & said "oh! Nuts on a string! These are your brother's favorite."

Look, I love my brother too but I didn't go crazy looking for these stupid nuts for HIM. He could get his own nuts on a string!

My mother insists that she doesn't eat them, it was my brother that loves them & she'll save them for him. OK. They're hers to do with as she wants. But...they were for her.

No power this weekend (not uncommon where we live) so no pictures uploaded at home but I've got them & will post them. At least we got a fun thread out of the nut hunt & can now figure out how to make my own nuts on a string if I ever need to.

Nina

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

lou, glad to hear the mrs. is feeling better. i'll be sure to pop you an email and let you know when i'm venturing up your way. don't go to too much trouble, just make a little of everything LOLOLOL

nina, isn't that something. i've had a similar experience where i went out of my way, searched high and low and then the person completely blew it off as if i made it up and asked me to take it back. scratch went that name from my list. so sorry to hear your power went out and sorry to hear you will be missing the swap.

maryanne

• sigh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maryanne, Thanks for the sympathy :-). My mom has been doing this a lot more lately. I think that she resents having to be dependant on us since she can't really get out on her own anymore so this is her way of unintentionally "getting back" at us. It's not malicious (I don't think) but she certainly was never like this when she was working,d riving & doing everything on her own.

My father died when I was very young, my mother was always very independant, went back to work & pretty much raised me singlehandedly (my brother & sister are both much older than I am). Now her arthritis is very bad & though she lives on her own I do the shopping for her, my sister comes over to help with the cleaning, my brother drives her to dr appts etc. Since she always was the one doing for herself (and usually doing for someone else as well) it makes her crazy to have to be dependant on us.

Oh I'm so disappointed about the swap! I was very excited about it and had quite the brainstorm. But at least now I know what to do for the next one.

The power loss is no big deal. Almost a treat since the laundry & vacuuming would have to wait. It happens so frequently that we're pretty used to it & since we have propane for cooking & hot water it's only a minor inconvenience. It was such a gorgeous weekend that it was nice to be forced outside.

Now I just have to get around to posting the nut pics!

Nina

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Maryanne: When you email me,I'll give you my phone number.

Nina: In Italian I think they say " Avere Pazienza "

LOU

• oldacres
    10 years ago

I just found this thread when searching for "hazelnuts on a string", which was mentioned in a book I am reading. Then after reading here, I found this article in the NY News with a source for torrone and hazelnuts on a string:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/daily-news-samples-san-gennaro-delicacies-article-1.1445749
    Hope that helps someone -- even 7 years later than the original post!

Here is a link that might be useful: NY News article about Italian food festival

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

I for one, am glad this brought up a funny thread. And if it helps anyone find (or who wondered what it looked like) hazelnuts on a string, even better. Look at jessy behaving, just made me smile!

• John Liu
    10 years ago

I thought it was an Italian woman looking for a husband.

• John Liu
    10 years ago

I thought it was an Italian woman looking for a husband.

• theresamurdoch18
    8 years ago

You can make them by boiling the hazelnuts. When they are soft you take a needle and thread and "sew" them together. That's how I do it anyway. You can roast and salt them before if you like.