SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

Please help: range/speed oven/microwave...driving me nuts

joygreenwald
9 years ago

Hello wise people,

I am driving myself insane. I'm getting very close on being able to pull the trigger on my kitchen redo. But I'm rapidly running out of money. I can't do everything I planned to appliance wise.

In my space challenged kitchen, I currently have an electric wall oven (24"!) and a gas cooktop. The new design works much better with a range. Additionally, I presently have a toaster oven and a microwave each on the counter. And I DON'T have enough counter space to maintain this. (Even in the new design, which will help counter space wise.)

I thought I had it all worked out. I was going to get an induction range. But I only have a 30 amp circuit. Suddenly, that splurge of a range will cost me even more money (to hire an electrician to run a new circuit.) And I was all gung ho to swap out my microwave and my toaster oven for a speed oven hung over my range. But I'm really starting to question that. We use the toaster oven a lot. We actually toast things. (So, I'm not even sure if any of them will do a good job.) We reheat things all the time when we'd prefer not to heat the "big" oven: pizza, oven fries, etc. Generally, we microwave breakfast sausages, oatmeal, and popcorn. Some potatoes. Not a ton. Other things as needed. (BTW, my kids use the microwave.)

I use my cooktop constantly...especially for higher heat applications. I stir fry and sautee a few times a week, make eggs almost daily, and make a fair number of pancakes and french toast. I use my grill pan to do hamburgers and steaks on the cooktop. I do sometimes use low heat for things but not as frequently.

I also bake, but not as often, including baking bread. I want CRISP pizza crusts and excellent cookies.

I'm pretty picky. I cook for my family daily, generally recipes out of Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country. I need reliable temperatures for both my cooktop and my oven.

Do I just put in a gas range? Will I hate moving to a gas oven from an electric? Single or double? Would one of those double ones frustrate me at Thanksgiving, or would the small oven fill the roll now filled by my toaster oven? (I suppose can get an actual toaster for making toast.) Is it worth going for the induction? I'd really like to, but I'm looking at $1k to run the circuit before I buy the oven. And do I just get a regular microwave? The Electrolux speed oven? The ungodly expensive Miele so I can broil?

Thank you for your help!!! I have read so many threads, and I'm only more confounded. And all the reviews of just about every appliance these days are terrible. The whole thing makes me want to scream!!

Comments (8)