SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tre3_gw

Family calendar format

tre3
17 years ago

I couldn't find a family calendar in a format I liked so I made my own. Maybe you can use this.

Disclaimer: This takes time. It is work and almost a CRAFT project. Certainly not for everybody. It is not less expensive than buying a calendar.

The pro is that you can CUSTOMIZE it for your family and situation.

Mine was a 2 page a week desk calendar.

I have 5 family memebers.

Read these or look at visual aid below:

Holding a standard piece of paper horizontally I divided it into 7 horizontal columns. First for month/date, second for day, third thru seventh for each family member. The second column across the top is for MONDAY, TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY on the first page. THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY/SUNDAY on the second page.

Each page also had four vertical columns. One for names and then 3 for Mon, Tues, Wed on page one. On page two, names, and then Thurs, Fri, Sat/Sun.

When laying open you'll see everyones name running down the page and the days spread over two pages.

This format allows you to have an individual space every day for each person in your family. It is a little like the calendars used in a doctor's office.

You can make your columns as wide or narrow as you need them. If one person is very active their space can be larger. If one day for you family is especially hectic you can make it larger. Each person can then enter their own information into their spot on the calendar. A simple glance down Wednesday will tell you where and what everyone is doing in your family. I think this format is great for larger or very active families. Its a great tool to use for keeping track of work hours and babysitting jobs, medical appointmnts, school outings, etc, etc.

I made a MASTER of each page. On you master copy you can enter the names and the days. Dates must be entered by hand. I then took it to the local copy shop. It took me a few attempts to figure out how to set up the twosided copying. Once I got that figured out, I copied it. You can color code by month if that helps.

It takes about 30 minutes to add the month and date to all 365 spaces. I had it 2 hole punched, bought card stock for the front and back, and used binder rings to hold it

together.

I used this calendar for three years. Would have used it longer if I'd come up with the idea earlier. We now have only one child at home and I no longer need huge expanses to keep track of everything going on.

If you think this might help you--go for it. For all those who might be rolling their eyes--I know, crazy.

March1 March 2 March 3

---------l--------l---------- l-----------l

l Mon l Tues l Wed l

---------l--------l---------- l-----------l

MOM l l l l

l l l l

------- l--------l---------- l-----------l

DAD 1 l l l

---------l--------l------------l-----------l

DD1 l l l l

l l l l

DD2 l l l l

DS1 l l l l

Excuse my attempt to give you a visual aid of page one! I obviously just used a ruler. More computer savvy people could probably format this on the computer.

Comments (2)