SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahneider

raise house 5 feet for workshop

sarahneider
14 years ago

Hello fellow old housesters,

I have a 900sq ft 1908 house 30 x 30 ish. We have a 5 foot crawl space with a dirt floor. in the front, there is a dug out space for 2 cars with a concrete pad. about 24' below grade, maybe 10' back. I would like to fill in the front at raise the house another 5 feet so we can put a cement floor down and have the whole thing at grade and be 10' high. We have already decided not to do this in the attic. Here is my wish list: great insulation for walls and floor, 220 electric service, drainage, drainage and more drainage, plumbed for kitchen and bath (for future conversion to apt when we are too old to walk up all those stairs), Otherwise, it will be a modest space, I am a painter and we need dry storage for a library. Here are my questions for you: Does this seem doable on a budget? what are the things I really need to spend on versus what would be nice to have. We are DYI painters and decorators and I will have time to be a gofer if we do this in the spring and summer. I am happy to pay for whatever expertise in terms of engineering we need. I have been looking around the GW and have picked up a bit of knowledge but not a lot, so thanks for any advice. Is there anything I need to know about my houses inner structure? Did I mention we live in earthquake land? so foundation and drainage are all.

Thanks, Sarah

Comments (9)