SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slateberry

Mouseproofing: a photo essay

slateberry
13 years ago

I have HAD IT! I did a huge mouseproofing a few weeks ago, was sure I'd foiled the critters at last, but I opened a drawer and found cute little "evidence" everywhere. Yuck! As my husband says, they'd be welcome to visit and take a few grams of this or that, if only they wouldn't leave a few grams of THAT behind!

I had attached a strip of gutter flashing to cover a crack where they were climbing in from the dishwasher cavity and into a drawer. Unfortunately, I did not attach it securely, so they were able to push in. I augmented the duct tape with screws:

Then packed in grout behind the flashing from the other side.

I pulled out the dishwasher so I could access that space. I was too lazy to do that last time, but clearly, I should have.

Here is where they were coming in: up the water supply line from the basement. That needs to slide, so I couldn't caulk or grout. I settled for steel wool:

If they get past that, I want to make sure they didn't get any further. They had been using the sound insulation around the dishwasher as a superhighway to access any hole or crack in the cabinet to get to adjacent spaces.

So, more flashing and caulk, but this time I was smarter and packed grout behind the flashing first. Also packed steel wool or fiberglass mesh behind the caulk:

This shows the packed grout on the other side of the flashing:

{{!gwi}}

This was an abandoned water supply hole to the basement; sealed with a wood scrap and grout:

Incidentally, duct tape is useless, except for holding the flashing in place while I screw it down.

Yes I know this was ugly as all get out, but I had to post in case it helps someone. I haven't seen grout touted as a mouseproofing material, but I had some leftover in the basement and was happy to use it up. Especially for this.

Of course, now that it's spring, they'll be moving to greener pastures anyway, but I'm ready for next winter--I hope!

If we ever redo our kitchen, it's gonna be sealed like a VAULT!

Comments (11)