SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adoptedbygreyhounds

From Italy to Atlanta...

First a bit of background. DD2 lives and works in Italy and was recently home for 6 weeks with her ragazzo (boyfriend). She considered a career in the restaurant business, even attended some courses at Le Cordon Bleu in Florence, but after working in an actual restaurant kitchen, decided the stress and pressure was not for her. DR is a chef by avocation and profession. We all get together for meal time and prep and have had some truly memorable meals, including fresh seafood dinners at the beach. Here are a few tidbits I learned from them:

Peaches  Fresh ripe Georgia peaches are more flavorful than Italian peaches

Salads  DR never tossed a salad or put it in a deep bowl. He always served them on a platter where the beautiful colors and veggies can be seen. On a bed of lettuce or spinach, he would arrange the other salad ingredients and it was always beautiful and different every day. Also, easier for people to choose parts they like (no onions for me, for example).

Porcini broth cubes  Who posted about these broth cubes on the Cooking Forum? Please step forward so I can thank you. I read about them here and asked DD to bring some home. HavenÂt used them yet.

Canning Jars  See the cute little jar of lemon curd? The lid is one-piece construction with a little rubbery insert built-in. Wish we could find these here. DD says they are sold wherever canning goods are sold.

Rice  According to DD, "everyone" in Italy cooks rice like this. Just prepare a large pot of boiling, salted water as if for pasta. Add the desired amount of rice, cook and check for doneness, pour through a strainer, just as you would pasta. No need to measure water or salt or keep lid on with no peeking. Easy to change amounts without using fractions to figure out quantities.

Tiramisu  If you want to make tiramisu and lady fingers are not to be found anywhere, angel food cake from the deli makes an acceptable substitute.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company