SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Traffic citation from Italy - parking garage did not get permits

Lars
6 years ago

Yesterday my brother got a citation from the Italian government accusing him of driving through the restricted zone in central Florence. We had rented a car in Rome for part of our trip, and our first stop was the Borghese Palace Hotel in central Florence. I was aware that they were in the restricted zone, and so when we were getting close to Florence, I called the hotel and asked them where and how we could get the permit to drive to the hotel and park. The hotel manager told me that the parking garage next door to the hotel would take care of the permit for us, and all we had to do was request that they get the permit for us, as they do this all the time - it is supposed to be part of their service. So we asked for the permit as soon as we got to the parking garage (there is a one hour window to request the permit, once you have entered the zone), and the garage attendant assured us that he would take care of that for us. We left the car in the garage for the three nights we were there, and when we left, we again asked about the permit and were told that it had been taken care of. Unfortunately, we did not get this is writing, but I was not worried because we were paying with a credit card, and I assumed that this would show up on the credit card receipt.

One and a half years later, my brother received the citation requesting a 70 Euro payment to be made via bank transfer within five days or else the find would be increased to 90 Euros. I plan to contest this citation and will be contacting the hotel.

What else should I do? I feel that the hotel is responsible, since I followed their instructions. We do have plans to visit Italy again, but if we do not rent a car again, will it be an issue if we do not pay the fine? The cost of the bank transfer is $50 - almost as much as the fine. I can communicate with the hotel in English, but I will have to communicate with the police in Italian, which will take a bit more time for me, although I do have a good deal of experience corresponding in Italian.

Who else has had this experience?

Comments (18)