SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buddyben

garage only a foot from the property line

buddyben
19 years ago

My 1920's garage with wood siding was built parallel to the property line. But it was built only a foot or so from the property line between me and the neighbor's yard. In those days people either had no fence or just a little picket fence between the yards. The far side of the garage (closest to the property line) was always out of my sight and out of my mind. Then I discovered that a previous neighbor had taken the liberty to stucco the side of my garage near the property line (the side that faced his yard). He also painted it to match his house! He also built a block wall along the property line up to the back of my garage, then made the wall return in a foot towards my garage. He did the same thing at the front of my garage. So there is a block wall along the property line except where the garage is.

I would really like to put a wall or fence along my garage so that it is off-limits to this new neighbor. He is doing new construction in his yard and he is shoving construction material and tools against my garage and I hate it. I want to protect my old and fragile garage. I also don't feel like giving him the foot of space next to my garage because I don't trust him not to cement the space over or to plant flowers and water them and get my wooden garage continually wet. I also cannot access that side of the garage because of the way the wall returns in towards my garage.

I need some ideas. Has anyone had a garage so close to the property line? Did you put a fence there? Is it hard to maintain that side of the garage (painting it every few years) with the fence there? Thanks!

Comments (14)