SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patdagardenguy

Vivax and property line

patdagardenguy
14 years ago

I'm in the foothills outside of Sacramento. I'm looking for an opinion on what is a safe distance to plant Vivax near a property line. I have 3 acres and this area for planting is a field. The closer to the line the better, as it is partly being used as a shield for an unsitely neighbor. The neighbor is also stubborn and will complain to me if the Bamboo is too close as he likes to get involved in other peoples business. Ultimately, I'd like the grove to be about 40 to 50 feet away from the property line. My understanding is that I can expect rhizomes to run 20-30 feet when mature, and at that point I'd mow or kick them over to control them. My concern is that it would then run another 20-30 feet from that point the following year putting it at nearly 60 feet from the desired containment area. Along the fence line, I have cedar deodora but are only seedlings now. I imagine once they are mature, the Vivax would have a difficult time penetrating through the Cedar roots? My ground is lots of decomposed granite, it gets very hard in the summer since there is no rain. When wet though, the soil is nice. I also figured I could control by only watering where I wanted the grove to go. The Cedars are only on drip irrigation, so I am controlling what is watered and what isn't. So, what would a safe distance be? I really appreciate any feedback. This neighbor gives me nightmares and I'd prefer to play it safe until the Cedars are full grown or he moves on. Thanks...

Comments (4)

Sponsored