SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bls_8

Property line trees too close to septic line?

Brittany Wilson
8 years ago

We have a 5 year old house and we are finally working on our landscaping. Our little neighbourhood used to be a school yard, now split up into four lots at .8 of an acre each. Our septic field pretty much takes up our whole back yard (I'm assuming such a big field because of the clay soil) so I'm screwed with planting any trees in the back yard. For privacy and shade I would love to plant a row of trees along the south of our property. I would love conifers but I believe that's out of the question because our septic line is 20 feet from the property line. Our neighbours septic line is about 40 feet away from the property line but the trees are my idea and I don't want to ask if we can plant right on the line and take up part of their yard. I was originally looking at various kinds of ever greens with a max of 15' wide which would put them very close to our lines. Now I have to come up with a new idea and I'm thinking fruit shrubs like saskatoons (serviceberry), cherry, goji, and other nice shrubs but I would still love something with height. I found a couple pinnacle birch trees that are 6' wide max and weeping blue spruce thats 5' wide. The birch is 30' tall and the spruce is 40'. Would these trees be alright because they are so skinny? Or any other ideas out there? Would I be able to plant a 15' wide tree near the end of the septic field? Our field is 100' long and 75' wide, I really can't see us even using the last runs. Our neighbours fields are half the size. Thank you!

Comments (9)