SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

How close to property line can i plant a tree?

bridget helm
13 years ago

In agreement with our neighbors, we decided against privacy fences, so I'm planting trees instead. The yards are deep enough to where we really don't need fences. However, the family that lives behind us (the back of their house faces the back of our house) have somewhat of a messy area that they keep all of their potting stuff like old plant pots that are just growing weeds etc.

When I drive down my driveway, this is what i see. So i'd like to plant a red oak to distract from the mess back there. However, the spot that it would need to planted in in order to effectively distract is VERY close to our side neighbor's yard. He does not have or want trees in his yard. He's one of those that keeps his grass crazy short so that it never grows. I'm guessing he doesn't want to fool with leaves etc.

How close to his property line can I plant the oak?? I really want to plant it about a foot away. However, the spot in question is waaaaaayy to the back in the back left corner of our yard, so it's really far from his house. The tree being to close to his house wouldn't be a problem.

I don't want to be a jerk, however. What do you think?

Comments (11)