SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

Are a neighbors shrubs allowed to overhang my property line?

blondelle
11 years ago

My neighbor sold her house and the new owner wants to put a 4' high line of hedges on the side of the house on his property line all the way out to the sidewalk in front of the house blocking my front lawn from view coming down the block. There's a concrete driveway where his line starts so I don't know where he intends to put it. I refused to let him put it on my property as it will ruin the look of my house. I can't stop him from putting something on his property but if he manages to get a hedge in there, it will definitely overhang my property.

If the roots start on his property, do I also own the space above my property line, and have the right to not have anything overhang my property? I will have the added expense of now trimming my side? Is there any rule how high a shrub can be? Is there anyway to prevent the roots of his shrubs from going under my front lawn?

He is really defacing and ruining the look of my property with this as well as the look of the block, but I don't think I have any options.

Do I?

Comments (37)