SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alicate_gw

Please help my property line delima

alicate
17 years ago

We live in the middle of the forest; everyone in our area has woods around their house. Our land (5 acres) goes 2 feet to our neighbors driveway. Her driveway runs the length of the property line. This line is about 150 feet in length.

For some reason, the previous owner who lived here for 25 years before us decided to cut down most of the woods on the side of our house clear up to the property line. So the area in between our houses looks like it belongs to her because of the grade even though it is ours.

She moved in just three months before we did and admits to ripping out shrubs and other things because she didn't care for them. Once we moved in, she proceeded to put moth balls in the beds (newly mine) because she didn't want the deer to eat the plants she did like. She rakes way over on my part and doesn't care at all for the line. I have tried to hint nicely but she doesn't take a hint. I totally understand that this area is so visible in her yard so I want it to look nice, but enough was enough!

We therefore put up a picket fence along the length of the property line/driveway. We did talk to her first. Later she wanted a shrub border instead but we didn't think if was financially feasible at that time.

We have had the fence for two years and this year decided to remove it and plant a row of evergreens. They are not staggered but in a line with plenty of space to grow in between. Again we talked with her first.

Now - the dilemma. In order for the evergreens not to spread onto her driveway, we had to plant them back two feet on our side of the property line. There is a lot of dead space in between and on her side of the spruces that is really our land. She likes to plant English Ivy and I'm afraid she'll plant something like that on my part because it again looks like hers.

It is easiest to plant grass, which is mostly there anyhow, and just mow around it. Yet someday, when these are filled in, I dream of having all that land be my woodland garden and have no grass. My kids are young and I am spending too much time in the garden so I need to cut back!

So the question is whether I should plant things in between and behind them knowing I'll have to move them as the trees fill in or leave it grass. It would be hostas, day lilies and some Ostrich ferns that I could use and reuse somewhere else later. If I do plant things, do I plant them behind the trees or just "give" her two feet to plant her stuff that I know I'll regret.

I am really not trying to be stingy, but I don't want to have to clear out invasives down the road nor do I want her thinking she can plant on my part. What would you do? I'll try to get hubby to enclose a picture so you could see the area and hopefully someone could give me some ideas. For now, though, I don't have one to put on. I want to be a good neighbor but I don't want my area taken over by her either. Thanks for your advice.

Comments (8)